• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The dolts at the FCC want to impose yet another tax on us. This time it's to promote the expansion of broadband. Of course some of the big corporations are for it, since they'll be the primary recipients of these stolen monies. They're doing this with as little fanfare as possible, so they can sneak it by in the middle of the night. If you don't want yet another tax you might want to let your congress critter know you're opposed to it and drop the FCC a line while you're at it.

FCC eyes tax on Internet service - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I guess they want to make broadband unaffordable for the masses that way the only news they can get is the state approved propaganda.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would suggest that we impose a tax on stupidity. That should be enough to make 90% of those affiliated with the .gov take off for Argentina.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Government's appetite is insatiable. Those 19 million people must get fast access to Facebook and YouTube. It's vital for the future prosperity of our republic! :n00b:

The new fund aims to subsidize the construction of high-speed Internet networks to the estimated 19 million Americans who currently lack access.*

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    If there was a large enough market of users in these areas to make investment in a broadband infrastructure in these areas profitable, don't they think the ISPs would have already done so.

I can't take it anymore.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The feds have been trying to tax and regulate the Internet ever since I filled my hard drive with napster stuff. I doubt they will ever stop until they either get their way or we wholesale clean the house out in DC

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The feds have been trying to tax and regulate the Internet ever since I filled my hard drive with napster stuff. I doubt they will ever stop until they either get their way or we wholesale clean the house out in DC

Expect a call from an RIAA attorney in 3....2.....1....:D

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    If there was a large enough market of users in these areas to make investment in a broadband infrastructure in these areas profitable, don't they think the ISPs would have already done so.

I can't take it anymore.

Neither can I. If people thought this way back in the '30s huge swaths Appalachia would still be without electricity or phone service. Your beloved invisible hand is imperfect; occasionally the lust for profits must be trumped by the public interest.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    You would be surprised at what the FCC can do...they've already made billions when they forced the military to narrow their bandwidth so they could sell off public frequencies to the highest bidder.

These guys control everything from what freqs you can use, how many media outlets a company can have in a market, etc, etc, etc... Worst thing is these guys are in bed with the media. I think it was back in the 90's when they removed political regulations covering equal time/equal coverage....since then the media makes billions more on campaign advertising. I won't mention the FCC folks soon jumped ship and now make tons of cash working for media companies that benefited. Most of what Romney/Obama/Super PACs/Senate folks spend goes straight to the media...it's criminal.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    You would be surprised at what the FCC can do...they've already made billions when they forced the military to narrow their bandwidth so they could sell off public frequencies to the highest bidder.

Do you imagine that the FCC is a cabal who line their pockets with the proceeds from spectrum auctions? That money goes into public funds.

These guys control everything from what freqs you can use, how many media outlets a company can have in a market, etc, etc, etc... Worst thing is these guys are in bed with the media. I think it was back in the 90's when they removed political regulations covering equal time/equal coverage....since then the media makes billions more on campaign advertising. I won't mention the FCC folks soon jumped ship and now make tons of cash working for media companies that benefited. Most of what Romney/Obama/Super PACs/Senate folks spend goes straight to the media...it's criminal.

You seem aghast that the Federal Communications Commission regulates communication and completely misunderstand the nature of the Equal-Time Rule. Your claim that political campaigns and associated organizations spend the bulk of their funds on advertising is somehow "criminal" is baffling. What element of this constitutes a crime? How would you have them allocate their resources? :dunno:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Political speech is either "free" (in the sense that no one is allowed to regulate or censor it) or it isn't. "The Media" are in business to make profits; what they have to sell is advertising space. Political campaigns, just like any other business, are selling a product. Why should any restrictions be placed on their business advertising as opposed to any other business advertising?

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EOD Guy
    Do you imagine that the FCC is a cabal who line their pockets with the proceeds from spectrum auctions? That money goes into public funds.

I understand these funds go into the federal kitty but my beef was with the FCC mandate for everyone to narrow their bandwidth. This caused a huge problem and cost time and money for the DOD when they had to reconfigure most freqs.

Also, the FCC doesn't line their pockets, FCC commissioners lines their pockets after a big media merger or shift in policy. Those same folks "resign" only to show up later working as a lobbyist for the same media company they benefited...now trying to persuade the next FCC commissioner with a big fat carrot.

http://benton.org/node/75741

The FCC ethical requirements are too lax and allow this culture to become tainted. It has become so bad that Congress is even trying to stop it...and you know these guys aren't proactive.

Proposed FCC 'reform' could temper its bite - Eliza Krigman - POLITICO.com

Federal Communications Commission Process Reform Act of 2012 (H.R. 3309) - GovTrack.us

Even the Congressional solution (if it passes the Senate) is only a one year delay...only a speedbump.

The FCC is in place to serve the best interest of the people...not help media direct dumptrucks full of cash.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Neither can I. If people thought this way back in the '30s huge swaths Appalachia would still be without electricity or phone service. Your beloved invisible hand is imperfect; occasionally the lust for profits must be trumped by the public interest.

From each according to his ability to each according to his need?

Top Bottom