• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My daughter loves mushrooms but I just can't bring myself to eat them. Granted, she's never had anything but grocery store white mushrooms and portabellas.

Those big portabella mushrooms that you can buy in the store are pretty good when sliced, wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill. They go great with steak!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there a difference in your false morel and a Beefsteak or Elephant ear?
    We use to find what were called elephant ears and their good to eat. Look alot like your false morel only stems are shorter. Thanks in advance.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    Is there a difference in your false morel and a Beefsteak or Elephant ear?
    We use to find what were called elephant ears and their good to eat. Look alot like your false morel only stems are shorter. Thanks in advance.

What I've always known as elephant ears, we also call jelly ears and are found growing on dead wood. They are normally soft and a bit slimy but delicious. The false morel is only found growing from the ground and is pretty solid.
    I figure that's what you're talking about anyways.

I just ran a google search and elephant ear mushrooms are listed as poisonous false morels. Beefsteak mushrooms come up on some sites as false morels and on others as a shelf mushroom growing on wood.

In any event, if you're eating beefsteak or elephant ears that are part of the false morel family, you're one of the few who can. I wouldn't eat them often if I were you, and I definitely wouldn't cook them up for friends.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    found 3 of them in my backyard, but only after i ran over them with my mower! agh, i left the stalks and the broken pieces in hopes that the spores can grow later

anyone think this weekend will be OK with the rain coming?

Top Bottom