Ever hurt yourself or have any close calls while shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • urban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I was with a guy who was shooting his 9mm Baretta for the first time at the range. He didn't know where the safety was and upon finding it, shot a hole in the ceiling of Don's Guns on the North side. Yes the NORTH SIDE if that gives you any idea of how long ago it was! Know your gun before you go to the range!

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    Eleanor's words have never been more true than from the experiences put forth in these posts. She said "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself."

D the Bruce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Castle IN
    Saw a loud mouth run +p thru a taurus at the range and slice up his wrist when the slide went awol. I myself had an old mossberg bolt action barrel shred on me.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Here's a great one that happened to me as a kid. I must have been 11 or 12. Was sitting in the family room of the house with my little brother who is 4 yrs younger than me watching cartoons after school (or something).

My older brother (5yrs older) so either 16 or 17 was in the backyard shooting quarters with a 22lr. This was in the hippie days of the mid-70s when a strange sell used to emanate from our basement on Friday afternoons when Mom and Dad were both at work.

Brother walks into the room and thinking he's being funny and aims the gun at my head, then swings and aims at my little brother then back at me, then at my brother....... I told him that wasn't funny and he swung back and me and pulled the trigger.

Pow.

I saw the little muzzle flash and heard the bang and thought for sure I was dying. He was 12 feet away and aimed at my head. My brothers eyes were bigger than mine. Looked over at my little brother and his were even bigger.

Bullet whizzed right past the top of my left ear and went through the paneling behind the couch.

We never mentioned it until about 5 years ago at Thanksgiving dinner and my mother said she always wondered what the hell we had done to put that hole in her wall. Then when she realized what happened she nearly had a heart attack. Took a double dose of a Manhattan to calm her.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If you shoot or if you handle guns you will at some point experience a failure, or negligent discharge or other accident. Just be as carefull every time you pick up a gun as you would be if your 2 year old was standing in front of you and hope for the best.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I was shooting my Marlin model 60ss in our range behind the house and got hit with a ricochet I guess. The backstop is railroad ties stacked up so i figured they would stick in. Once i fired i heard a buzzing sound the got hit in the arm by something, I'm guessing the bullet. Didn't break the skin, but it left a red mark.

n9vmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Cloest issue I had was when I was shooting a friend's Gold Cup and some of his reloads...had a squib load and immediately noticed something was wrong. Dropped the mag, opened the chamber and dropped a pencil down the barrel to make sure it wasn't blocked.

Cloest I ever SAW was in basic in the USAF and a poor kid that was scared of firearms to begin with was on the line with an M-16 and .22LR adapter installed. He was going along just fine till the adapter struck the next round in the mag and set it off. Definately made a different sound and smoke was rolling out of the receiver. He has enough sense about him to clear the weapon, drop the mag and ground it. He walked off the firing line and swore that no one could make him pick up another gun as long as he lived.

FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Years ago I had a friend sweep my head with a 12 ga when he turned around with the gun leaning on his shoulder at the range. It's been about 7 years and occasionally he'll mention how safe he is when hunting and shooting. I always make sure to remind him of the time he pointed a shotgun at my face, I'll never forget it... neither should he!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Was at Blythe's in Valpo for the first time with a friend of mineTurned out, about 20mins before we got there, a guy took a ricochet up his arm. I was fine, I wasn't mad at anyone, and I've been back since, but it definitely freaked out my wife when I got home with a hole in my shirt/chest and a pretty big blood stain.

How long ago was this? I might know the guy that took the ricochet.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...close_calls_while_shooting-8.html#post3046471

they were hunting rabbits with deer slugs?

Why would it have to be a deer slug to put a hole in the floor?

Why do we make mystakes? To learn from them.
    Why do we talk about our mistakes? So others can learn from them.
    Lighten up. the same thread can also be done about stupid things done in cars.

Yep I've learned from reading this thread and others to always wear a brimmed hat when going shooting to keep brass away.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Back in elementary school, I was shooting with a neighborhood friend and his dad at Don's Guns former Carmel location and I had a fresh .22 LR casing bounce off the divider and land behind my eye protection. It burnt me a little butdidn't leave a mark.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Shooting a 45 auto at steel plates, lead bullets, plates at 20 yards, plates angled down. Small creek bed between me and target. Finished shooting and reloaded with FMJ rounds, holstered gun. As I cast my own I jumped down into creek bed where the spent bullets wash out after a rain too retrieve and cast again. Fired at the steel plates, now they are face on and the FMJ bullet came straight back at me. Hit me in the lower stomach, went through my sweatshirt, denim shirt, t shirt and stuck in my belly under the skin. Pulled the piece out, bled like crazy, no real damage.

My wife was an Air Force nurse, combat trained. I hid it from her as best I could. She saw it when I took a shower about 24 hrs later, real pretty black and blue from my neck to my knees. Needless to say, she recognized it as a gunshot wound. Then the real pain started....

Don

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I have two stories:

1) Years ago in the mid-90's I was shooting an USPSA match outside of Denver. A new shooter came to the line to shoot. He understood the course of fire, he loaded and made ready. He was standing by waiting on the buzzer. On the buzzer he pulled his pistol and the RO stopped him and told him to unload and make clear. The new shooter asked, what did I do wrong? The RO looked at him and said, "Dude, I think you shot yourself in the ass"! He looked shocked and went over to sit down. He was disqualified and an ambulance was called. While waiting, he got and left, we never saw that guy again and never new the full extent of his injury. It appeared to be just a grazing shot of his poor ass cheek. It was sad that day, however to this day when I recall this story I chuckle at the RO's comment. :):

2) In June 2005, I was a new shooter to Cowboy Action shooting by six months. I brought a friend of mine to a Cowboy Action shooting match at the Pueblo West Sportsmans range to participate in his first match. He was sharing my guns. He had an interest in shooting Cowboy Action and he had been an avid hunter and well versed in firearms safety.

He did really well as a new shooter. On stage four he was at the loading table, 2nd in-line to shoot, when a thirteen yr. old boy, next in line, accidently shot my friend in the foot (he was shooting downloaded .38 special). His cross-drawn second revolver accidently fired in the holster. It was a very weird accident. The only thing we could figure, was his puffy sleeve, while waiting for his turn to shoot, some how cocked the cross-draw revolver, while he rested his arms on the pistol butts. This put pressure on his shotgun carrier and one of the shotgun shells touch his trigger of the cross-draw gun.

Lucky enough the bullet went into my friends foot but didn't penetrate his cowboy boot sole. The bullet didn't hit any bones, no tendons, etc. purely a flesh wound. He was archery hunting two months later. He was really lucky! At that point, in 25 yrs. of Cowboy Action Shooting across the country no one had ever been shot with another person's gun, until that day.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Driving down the road the other day, I recognized an area I often hunted as a teenager. Brought back a painful memory.
    The land is rolling and I was on a rise near the top shooting dove. Another hunter came along and picked a spot about 40 yards down hill. I spotted a single dove coming across the range dodging other hunter's shots. As it neared 60 yards, I slowly rose up and into position and the newcome promptly shot me in the back! :xmad::rockwoot: I missed my shot for some reason!:rolleyes:
    I turned around and pointed at him and he literally begged me not to shoot him. :dunno: I was so close to it and it took lots of will power not too. I ended up lecturing him instead. Luckily, none of the pellets penetrated anywhere, but it sure stung!

Top Bottom