• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Not a thing in Elwood, was born and raised there unfortunally, but if you go to the Air Port in you can eat some of those very tasty elk burgers mmmmmmmmm

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OK thanks guys ... I'm glad I didn't make any serious shooting plans for Sat. Guess I'll have to listen to people over compensate for their perceived failures and short coming from their High School days. :rolleyes:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I live near Elwood too. Not much around to do. There is the conservation club a bit outside of town but I'm not a member there anymore. But I do own some property that I shoot on. If you wanna meet up shoot me a PM.

See this is what is great about this SITE! Very generous offer, but rain and T-storm in the forecast; don't want to put you out and have to cancel because of storms.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not a thing in Elwood, was born and raised there unfortunally, but if you go to the Air Port in you can eat some of those very tasty elk burgers mmmmmmmmm

I love going to the airport except for the cigarette smoke.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It is sad when you look back at Elwood. It WAS a booming town. It had 10,000 people when I was growing up there. My dad worked in Anderson at Delco Remy along with a lot of other people. My mom worked at the sandwich shop up town. (Oh, thats where you need to eat before the reunion.) but later retired from Red Gold. (originally fettigs, Red Giant, then Reg Gold) There were actually quite a few manufacturing plants of many kinds there. I remember my friends mom used to work at a place that made plastic silverware. There was a place that made those orange cones you see on the roads. Lots of other factories too. I would have loved for my daughter to grow up like I did. The problem for a kid is everyone knew everyone so you couldn't do much without getting caught.

I still know many people who live there. My moms house is still there. I just have to get around to selling it. The people that live there still like it. I don't know if living there now is the same for them as it was 20 years ago but from where I am, I can't see that being the case. Maybe I see things differently because I've been gone from there for 24 years.

It would have been nice if that Toyota plant had have opened up in Tipton. At least Red Gold is still there and I don't see that going away anytime soon. Thank goodness they put those filters on the plant. I hated the smell of tomatoes. I think Elsa is still going strong out there too as well as J Lewis Small (class rings).

When I lived there, you could always leave your house unlocked and never have to worry about it being broke into. I miss THAT. :-)

You should eat at the sandwich shop downtown though. It's on the corner of South A and
    16th street. Another great thing about Elwood, it's addresses. Easy to find what you are looking for. People will know the sandwich shop by many names. I think it is currently called Roby's grill.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    spasmo
    -----------------------
    Ya the cig smoke in there is really bad. That sandwich shop downtown is now called Roby's Tim bought it a few years ago and he has AWESOME tenderloins. But Elwood is really going down hill. The cops are dirty. My best friend killed himself while locked up there had really bad PTSD from Iraq he ended up hanging there for 4hrs before they found him and the funny thing is they have cameras in all the cells. I know the feds ended up investigating EPD cause of that situation but dono if anything came from it

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    spasmo
    -----------------------
    Ya the cig smoke in there is really bad. That sandwich shop downtown is now called Roby's Tim bought it a few years ago and he has AWESOME tenderloins. But Elwood is really going down hill. The cops are dirty. My best friend killed himself while locked up there had really bad PTSD from Iraq he ended up hanging there for 4hrs before they found him and the funny thing is they have cameras in all the cells. I know the feds ended up investigating EPD cause of that situation but dono if anything came from it

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    See this is what is great about this SITE! Very generous offer, but rain and T-storm in the forecast; don't want to put you out and have to cancel because of storms.

Ehh the woods isn't far from my house. Plus when I get time soon I'm gonna build a larger lean to shelter down there next to where I'm gonna put the fire ring.

I hope you have fun at least. I agree with others, try out that Roby's Grill, I ate there a few times when I worked there in town and it was real good. Its where my mom grew up too. And where some of my family still live. Its definitely gone downhill from how it used to be. I've noticed that even just in my lifetime, and I'm only 29

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It is sad when you look back at Elwood. It WAS a booming town. It had 10,000 people when I was growing up there. My dad worked in Anderson at Delco Remy along with a lot of other people. My mom worked at the sandwich shop up town. (Oh, thats where you need to eat before the reunion.) but later retired from Red Gold. (originally fettigs, Red Giant, then Reg Gold) There were actually quite a few manufacturing plants of many kinds there. I remember my friends mom used to work at a place that made plastic silverware. There was a place that made those orange cones you see on the roads. Lots of other factories too. I would have loved for my daughter to grow up like I did. The problem for a kid is everyone knew everyone so you couldn't do much without getting caught.

I still know many people who live there. My moms house is still there. I just have to get around to selling it. The people that live there still like it. I don't know if living there now is the same for them as it was 20 years ago but from where I am, I can't see that being the case. Maybe I see things differently because I've been gone from there for 24 years.

It would have been nice if that Toyota plant had have opened up in Tipton. At least Red Gold is still there and I don't see that going away anytime soon. Thank goodness they put those filters on the plant. I hated the smell of tomatoes. I think Elsa is still going strong out there too as well as J Lewis Small (class rings).

When I lived there, you could always leave your house unlocked and never have to worry about it being broke into. I miss THAT. :-)

You should eat at the sandwich shop downtown though. It's on the corner of South A and
    16th street. Another great thing about Elwood, it's addresses. Easy to find what you are looking for. People will know the sandwich shop by many names. I think it is currently called Roby's grill.

Elwood never had anything but the addresses and Red Gold,( A-12 oh, you sank my battle ship). Now I do Love the People of Elwood, (although the guy who ran for mayor who hit a train on his bicycle) lol I used to minister to the crowd at the Elwood Mission on Main ( great place to find your self-worth) and loved the Elwood Conservation Club (back when it was $25 a year) I would head to the gun-shop in Alexandria (on 9) or the new one in Frankfort. Just don't spend alot of time in Elwood (the line runs from Sheridian to Muncie)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Dad was raised in Elwood and my grandparents lived there most of their lives. (Dewey Smith Sr might be known to some here; he was the postmaster).

Sad to say the rest of the folks are right; it's a dying town.

If you want to make a few more miles up the road, you can go to the Swayzee Cafe (or whatever they're calling it now). They have some of the most excellent food I've tasted in Indiana, and some of the friendliest folks as well.

Josh

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The Swayzee Cafe, is now "Socials". It's within walking distance of me. Swayzee is 20 min north of Elwood, and another 5 minutes gets you to my range. The offer is there if you wish.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    And Jay, I still need to take you up on that generous offer you sent me a couple years ago. Things just keep coming up. You know, like life and the things we have to deal with :D

I'll get there one day, I promise... group shoot at Jay's, maybe?

Josh

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'll get there one day, I promise... group shoot at Jay's, maybe?

Josh

We can do that... I just had the berm re-done, and it's now 10 ft high, and about 75 ft wide...... steel targets, or paper... and a trash barrel if you don't care to take yer targets with you. :D :patriot:

Top Bottom