Elon Musk Becomes Twitter’s Largest Shareholder…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No. Drudge and Twitter function as aggregates.

Difference to me is you have more control in Twitter over content presented and its more RT.
    Twitter also makes news. What we’re reading on it now is news about how Twitter execs used it to favor Democrats over Republicans. That’s news.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't see that this really qualifies as "election interference". They controlled information on a platform. They did not stop people from voting. Is running an ad with false or misleading information "election interference"?
    What if suppressing inconvenient information that might alter how people would vote is done at the express request of one party to an election or the executive or legislative branch (or all 3)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Let's call for the Mods to post user online time!

Twitter also works on a computer.
    Hmmm, I coulda sworn a smart phone IS a computer and that twitter only works on internet connected devices

Is there a smoke signal app or something that I don't know about?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I don't see that this really qualifies as "election interference". They controlled information on a platform. They did not stop people from voting. Is running an ad with false or misleading information "election interference"?

The line is crossed when .gov agencies are the ones controlling the platform or conspiring with insiders to control content, if that proves to be the case here. Their delegated powers do not include controlling information on platforms. That smells a little like .... Abuse of Power, which I'd like to think is against the law.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    In this case it is. If I can silence your voice in favor of my own and be dishonest about it and lie a be deceitful and use the power of the government to do it we have a serious problem. This may be the worst thing I've heard in my lifetime.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hmmm, I coulda sworn a smart phone IS a computer and that twitter only works on internet connected devices

Is there a smoke signal app or something that I don't know about?
    So when you said phones you also meant computers. Excellent!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The part that disturbs me most is the alphabet agencies involvement in the suppression of information. That candidates or surrogates ask media not to publish stories seems common and I cannot see where that is against the law.

BUT, I cannot believe it is legal for supposedly non political government agency to be involved in telling a private company what to do or not do, particularly to advantage one candidate over another. I believe the federal code makes election interference by the agencies illegal. That is what heads should roll over...
    Smells like a violation of the Hatch act to me...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess i need to read more about the details of the suit to figure out what his standing is.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The line is crossed when .gov agencies are the ones controlling the platform or conspiring with insiders to control content, if that proves to be the case here. Their delegated powers do not include controlling information on platforms. That smells a little like .... Abuse of Power, which I'd like to think is against the law.

That I agree with. That is possibly breaking an actual law, not what we want the law to be.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Part of the twitter information drop included conversions between democrats and Twitter executives to remove damaging tweets to democrats. Is that illegal? I think it should be. But it’s fair to call it election interference even if colluding with social media to help one party over another isn’t illegal.
    So you are talking about some other context.
    The part that disturbs me most is the alphabet agencies involvement in the suppression of information. That candidates or surrogates ask media not to publish stories seems common and I cannot see where that is against the law.

BUT, I cannot believe it is legal for supposedly non political government agency to be involved in telling a private company what to do or not do, particularly to advantage one candidate over another. I believe the federal code makes election interference by the agencies illegal. That is what heads should roll over...
    I agree. Is a .gov agency is found to have made demands of information being removed, that might be illegal. It seems like it would definitely run afoul of the First Amendment.
    Sure seems unlawful to suppress information that would swing an election, but what do I know... :dunno:
    What law would that be? Suppressing information during elections is as old as elections themselves.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Something smells a lot like semantics when you're arguing against it being against the law and then agreeing with another post about the abuse of power being against the law. I'm not talking about one specific part of the issue, but the issue as a whole. Twitter suppressing the story, along with Government collusion and abuse of power seems a little bit like it might be against the Constitution, if nothing else.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Something smells a lot like semantics when you're arguing against it being against the law and then agreeing with another post about the abuse of power being against the law. I'm not talking about one specific part of the issue, but the issue as a whole. Twitter suppressing the story, along with Government collusion and abuse of power seems a little bit like it might be against the Constitution, if nothing else.
    Is it semantics to say that the First Amendment only applies to the government?

I asked if people were talking about a law or something else. Since election interference is an actual crime, that is a distinction worth noting. It has to do with the actual interference with people trying to vote.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Is it semantics to say that the First Amendment only applies to the government?

I asked if people were talking about a law or something else. Since election interference is an actual crime, that is a distinction worth noting. It has to do with the actual interference with people trying to vote.

Call it what you will. Even if it's simply a First Amendment issue, or abuse of power, or whatever you want to call it, in my mind I lump it in with election interference because that was the net result.

Top Bottom