drug testing welfare recipients violates 4th Amendment???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    http:/ http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/31/judge-nixes-florida-welfare-drug-testing/

What do the INGO legal scholars think? I can see how a drug test is a search, but I also feel those suckling off the their neighbors should be making every effort to get off welfare and not be spending money on drugs. I'm also not sure how much money a state could save drug testing everyone on welfare...what do you guys think?

If the govt drug test everybody recieving assistance, I'm all for it. Student loans and a bunch of other for example.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    About as much as the TSA search violates your 4th A, or ditto Implied Consent. Students losing some privacy interests simply by attending school, and being subject to canine sniffs of lockers, or 'random' drug screens when participating in extracurricular activities (none of these is a benefit per se).

It's not exposing them to prosecution, it just potentially disqualifies them from receiving a benefit (not exercising a right).

So no.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    If I have to pee in a cup to stay at WORK, then the people I pay to stay at home should have to do so also. To further that thought, every member of government should be required to do so as well. That should wipe out at least half of them over night. :yesway:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    One thing for sure is if a clean drug test is required to stay on welfare there will be a whole lot of people getting kicked off of it. Bet on it. I would guess 50% or better

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    Florida tried that, ended up costing them massively more for drug testing than they saved by busting people and kicking them off Gov benefits.

Seems to be an awful lot of people buying into that myth.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    So if people on welfare don't pass the drug screen we cut all govnment assistance and then what?
    I know there's alot of negative feelings about those of Welfare, but the poor children of these people suffer - significantly.
    Poor nutrition, poor upbringing, go to school smelling bad - it's horrible for these little ones.

The mentality of kicking all "low lifes" off welfare, bombing our enmies "off the map" etc sounds rough and tough but just doesn't work in the real world.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    One thing for sure is if a clean drug test is required to stay on welfare there will be a whole lot of people getting kicked off of it. Bet on it. I would guess 50% or better
    Probably not. This issue has been discussed before and someone posted numbers that put the percentage well below that. Single digits IIRC.

What's the end game here? Help or extermination?
    Extermination? Of the individual or termination of his "benefits?" I'm not interested in simply redirecting the welfare dollars (or adding to them as would be more likely) to pay for his rehabilitation that probably won't take because the only reason he's participating is to continue to receive $$. I have no problem with the termination of benefits with a positive test given that anybody that can afford drugs clearly doesn't need money from others. Not to mention that I think it is the ultimate slap in the face to taxpayers to tell them that they have to fund someone's drug habit. I would cut my own sons off from my largesse if they make poor choices as an adult. I sure shouldn't be required to pay for someone else's sons to make the same poor choices.

Shall we include alcohol? Why not?
    Your second question seems to presume a negative answer to your first? In fact, I would argue that the answer should be 'yes.' Again, anyone capable of purchasing alcohol clearly doesn't need a hand out from me or anybody else.

I'd prefer the elimination of all confiscatory taxes used to redistribute wealth. Short of that, I have zero problems with attaching strings to the receipt of my hard earned money. As was mentioned above, this is an implied consent issue. If I can be penalized for refusing a breath test for drunkenness on the grounds that receiving a license and driving on public roads was my implicit consent for the state to require/coerce it, then I see no reason why someone receiving entitlement paychecks can't be held to a similar standard.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    Drug testing would result in taking away aid for dependent children. Also an expensive bureaucratic nightmare. I don't see it happening.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had to take a whiz quiz to keep my pay check. My employer did not care if I would be able to feed my family if I failed. I don't and have never done drugs. Some will say oh so your better then me. I just say nope. Just smarter. I personally have no issues with drug test but do have a issue with welfare. The whole ideal of welfare period! It is way over abused. It's making it real easy to be a leach on society. I can understand people needing little hand but I know people that won't work because they can get welfare!

People that can afford to do drugs don't need welfare. They are probably making enough selling that the welfare is just a bonus. People need to learn to stand on there own to feet. and to help there family's that need the help. I help those I can. I have always earned what I need. I have received money from friends and relatives when in need. I paid it back and I am now in a position to help those I can. That's welfare I can control.

:soapbox: I'll get off it now. This is a bad subject for me!

:popcorn:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    What do the INGO legal scholars think?
    I'm no legal scholar, but I don't see anything wrong with entering a contractual agreement. If the paperwork for signing up to receive welfare included random testing...if you sign it, you agree to it. What would be the big deal?

I know there's alot of negative feelings about those of Welfare, but the poor children of these people suffer -
    See, the thing is... Women (specifically widows) and children (specifically orphans or parented by newly-made widows) are the people that whole system was created for, and it was twisted & abused from there. I don't know what the best fix would be, but throwing cash at a problem that's made worse by cash... never fixes it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What's the end game here? Help or extermination?

Shall we include alcohol? Why not?

Drug testing welfare recipients is akin to extermination?

I have no problem with us assisting people who are truly handicapped through no fault of their own. I don't feel I have the duty to keep up people that are just too lazy to work or that made themselves disabled through drug/alcohol abuse.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    First of all just let me say that I do not have a solution to the problem. I will leave that up to the smart people in our state and federal governments. I just have trouble with people who are allowed to continue their bad behavior and show no signs of making any kind of effort to get themselves off the welfare roll paid for by our taxes that keep indefinitely receiving welfare and other types of government assistance. You can not even expect them to clean up after themselves because it might be too demeaning for them to pick up their own trash. Except where children are involved, I think that I would rather toss my money into the hats of the streetcorner beggars for at least they are making some effort to earn what they receive.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

What evidence can you cite? Or just following your unfounded prejudices?

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I think it is a good idea. If you want welfare you should have to sign a drug test agreement. I for one get tired of funding dope heads and drunks. If they want to use drugs or get drunk that's fine, just don't make me pay for it. It'll never happen though, to many bleeding hearts.

Top Bottom