• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So lemme get this straight, you are ok with the system showing your name DOB, SSN, address and criminal history but you all are upset that it shows your LTCH status? :dunno:

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Those are all identifiers. My LTCH status isn't and, quite frankly no ones business unless somehow pertinent to the officer's business with me.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    There are a few counties in IN that this happens...not all of them.

I know that Vandeburgh Co / Evansville PD is one of them.

-J-
    Roger that. I was told by a local LEO who responded to a burglar alarm at my business that that is the case. I had asked if he personally preferred people to inform him at traffic stops. He said you ought to because it'll pop up when he runs the plate.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If it concerns you, you could forfeit your IN LTCH and get a nonres from a reciprocal state.

Edit to add: this is not true, if you are an IN resident, you must have an IN LTCH. I'm not a resident, so i forgot about this detail. I've added this edit to eliminate confusion.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, I just noticed this recently. When I run a driver's license through BMV, I noticed the ISP return screen referencing gun permit (I think it actually says "permit"). This is a very recent addition to our BMV responses. So ANY officer around the State that runs a driver's license will get the return. We all use IDACS (Indiana Data and Communications System) to access BMV files.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Yup! You're missing the entire issue. I don't give a s&$@ who knows I have a LTCH. It's the fact that the State of Indiana considers my exercising my right information a law enforcement officer should be automatically made aware of. Seems like they are trying to sensationalize the risk of citizens being armed. Now if IDACS were magical and could tell an officer there is a person in that car who intends on shooting you, then he'll yes I can see the overwhelming benefit. But to simply lump all LTCH persons into a group that officers should be aware of...bull hockey.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Do state police agencies share data? How long until they do?

For instance: I'm driving through Canton, Ohio and get pulled over
    for a burned out license plate light and it says I have a LTCH.....
    (Although, I wouldn't have a gun on me.)
    Do I need to worry about roid rage? :dunno:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the news, Spanky! That does explain why I was given no grief for OC'ing my 44 when me and a buddy were checked out while hunting--even though it was a couple of weeks ago (bow only season). When the officer ran both our DL's, mine came back much faster than my buddy's--I guessed at the time that it had something to do with the officer being aware of my LTCH and not being worried about the holster he saw. In any case, this IS interesting news indeed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That's what I was thinking, too. That's why I always wonder if it would be best to inform before-hand, since he/she's going to find out.

Not in this lifetime. I'm only answering direct questions and then the first answer is likely to be there are no illegal weapons in the vehicle, followed by am I being detained and am I free to go.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ok so then what legislation do we need to pass and/or policy have changed at isp to correct this? complaining here does us no good. mobile n get it changed does

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Well, so much for the whole "no duty to inform" idea. I guess it looks like some of us here got what we wanted. The LTCH IS associated with our DL's.

I can't wait to see how this gets abused. :rolleyes:

tk21k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    MSG2-Mt Comfort
    How long before an officer runs the plate of a car he is behind, gets the owner information, runs the owner of the vehicle and finds out he has a LTCH, pulls the car over for what ever stopping violation he can come up with and demands the driver hand over his firearm to run it.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    How long before an officer runs the plate of a car he is behind, gets the owner information, runs the owner of the vehicle and finds out he has a LTCH, pulls the car over for what ever stopping violation he can come up with and demands the driver hand over his firearm to run it.

It'll all be justified if it gets just one more BG off the street. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom