• ...and so much more!
  • Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I don't know if this has already been covered, but I though it was important enough to address.

When an Indiana police officer does a driver's license check now, the also get a return that advises if that person has a Handgun Carry Permit.

It's not the fact that a police officer is able to obtain this information that bothers me. My issue is that the release of this information is ROUTINE. A criminal's law breaking past is confidential and can only be retrieved for criminal justice purposes. LTCH is automatic...I believe a criminal past is, by far, a greater officer safety issue than the legal, licensed carrying of a handgun.

This situation is, I believe, the quintessential slippery slope.

Last edited:

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    When an Indiana police officer does a driver's license check now, the also get a return that advises if that person has a Handgun Carry Permit.

It's not the fact that a police officer is able this information that bothers me. My issue is that the release of this information is ROUTINE. A criminal's law breaking past is confidential and can only be retrieved for criminal justice purposes. LTCH is automatic...I believe a criminal past is, by far, a greater officer safety issue than the legal, licensed carrying of a handgun.

This situation is, I believe, the quintessential slippery slope.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I think it has been brought up a few times. Do you have any source for your assertations that when a drivers licence is ran, your LTCH status is returned also? I think the general consensus around here is that it is a Local thing, and not a state thing. As in some local /county Dept records/systems return that info, but that most do not.

:popcorn:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Having a handgun license doesn't necessarily mean you are carrying. Hence some states' duty to inform.

Of course if the officer has stopped a criminal type with no license but carrying, it's unlikely running the ID is going to give much information.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are a few counties in IN that this happens...not all of them.

I know that Vandeburgh Co / Evansville PD is one of them.

-J-

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    That's what I was thinking, too. That's why I always wonder if it would be best to inform before-hand, since he/she's going to find out.

I still say no, No, NO, and HECK NO!

If asked, I will be truthful. I will not offer the information without being asked, unless I am openly wearing the weapon on my hip. If he has a chance of inadvertently seeing it during the stop, I don't want him surprised, so I will inform. Otherwise, there is no reason to make him more nervous than he is.

To the OP, I also would like to know where you got this info.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I was under the impression that this was only on local returns.

I know Tippecanoe County will advise if the subject has a LTCH.

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    I still say no, No, NO, and HECK NO!

If asked, I will be truthful. I will not offer the information without being asked, unless I am openly wearing the weapon on my hip. If he has a chance of inadvertently seeing it during the stop, I don't want him surprised, so I will inform. Otherwise, there is no reason to make him more nervous than he is.

To the OP, I also would like to know where you got this info.

I like that.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Where did I get my information? It's what I do for a living.

When an officer runs a driver's license through the Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS, the state-wide law enforcement computer system), that officer (most through their dispatcher) receive BMV information, a warrants/wants check in Indiana, a warrants/wants check nationally and, now, a return from the Indiana State Police Firearms Section as to that person's LTCH status.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Where did I get my information? It's what I do for a living.

When an officer runs a driver's license through the Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS, the state-wide law enforcement computer system), that officer (most through their dispatcher) receive BMV information, a warrants/wants check in Indiana, a warrants/wants check nationally and, now, a return from the Indiana State Police Firearms Section as to that person's LTCH status.
    Do officers across the state routinely run IDACS?

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Yep...IDACS is, as far as I know, the only way officers in the State of Indiana can access the information I listed above. I'd say 99% of officers use IDACS multiple times every shift. IDACS IS the lifeline of law enforcement in Indiana.

The only exception is if the officer runs the person by their Operater License Number (OLN), then the LTCH info does not return. But, any inquiry by name and DOB (the way most departments run them to assure an accurate warrant/want check) returns the LTCH status.

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I was wondering if something new was happening. I listen to scanner traffic in my area, and for the last couple of weeks responses to requests for DL info and warrants have been accompanied by "has a valid lifetime license", or similar response. Thanks to the OP for the additional info.

Last edited:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    This is relatively new then, and very interesting. In February, I asked a Clay County Sheriff if when they pull a license info the LTCH came up and he told me that it did not. Wonder when that change happened. I know it was almost a year ago at this point but, still good to know. Thanks for the heads up Spanky.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    and why is the fact that I have an LTCH relevant to a traffic stop? This is the kind of crap that annoys me. what's next, my religion, political affiliation?

This has to stop.

Top Bottom