• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sometimes you just get a feeling that people are up to no good, that something's not right.

Has this never happened to you?

I have, and I follow my instincts. And even though I follow my intuition, it doesn't make, by default, the other party the "bad guy," if they haven't exhibit such behavior. Truth be told, I can fault the OP's action nor his readiness, but I think it's a stretch to think that a crime was about to be committed upon the OP.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have, and I follow my instincts. And even though I follow my intuition, it doesn't make, by default, the other party the "bad guy," if they haven't exhibit such behavior. Truth be told, I can fault the OP's action nor his readiness, but I think it's a stretch to think that a crime was about to be committed upon the OP.

Maybe there was about to be a crime, maybe there wasn't. Maybe they were just in a hurry, maybe they had nefarious intent. Luckily we'll never know with 100% certainty because nothing happened.

Neither of us was there, so we can't really judge how stiff the hairs on the back of the OP's neck became. But you're bordering on saying he overreacted, when you have no way of really knowing either way.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, maybe I am over-reacting here Kutnupe14! Maybe a crime wasn't about to be committed, but I wasn't taking any chances. My friend and I were walking down a street at night and were the only ones in sight, when three guys came up from behind, in a manner sufficient enough to be out of the ordinary and what I determined were moving way faster than normal and then getting behind us within about 4 feet when nobody else was around. That, to me, is not normal behavior. I didn't act all bad ass and yell or scream or make threatening gestures, I simply prepared to defend myself and made sure they saw it.
    Nothing happened. There was no confrontation, so I see this as a win. I posted this incident to relay my experience, nothing more, nothing less.
    Hopefully, someone might learn from this, but then again, someone might blow this out of proportion and play thread commando .....
    What would you have someone do in a situation like this?

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So, let me get this straight. OP, and friend, were walking down a public sidewalk when three men walking at a faster pace come up behind them (is this uncommon?). OP then, takes his hands out of his pockets, unbuttons his coat, and places his hand on his carry-side hip... which clearly indicates "I probably have a gun." The men, who have done nothing to the OP other than intrude upon his "comfort zone," then cross the street, not to be heard from again.
    ...And this is what's considered a "close call?" For who exactly?

Are you implying that OP should have ignored the rush of individuals coming up on his six until he was blindsided with a punch to the head?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe there was about to be a crime, maybe there wasn't. Maybe they were just in a hurry, maybe they had nefarious intent. Luckily we'll never know with 100% certainty because nothing happened.

Neither of us was there, so we can't really judge how stiff the hairs on the back of the OP's neck became. But you're bordering on saying he overreacted, when you have no way of really knowing either way.

I'm not faulting any of the OP's actions, only how the story was relayed. It OP didn't have a close call, as that would imply that he avoided something bad. Nothing bad happened, and based on his story, other than the 3 men walking fast and entering his comfort zone, nothing bad was implied upon their part. His story is more a nod to awareness of surroundings than obviously thwarting a possible crime. I won't knock him for being "ready," but I will point out that these men could have had nothing sinister in mind for the OP or his friend. He should at least acknowledge that.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not faulting any of the OP's actions, only how the story was relayed. It OP didn't have a close call, as that would imply that he avoided something bad. Nothing bad happened, and based on his story, other than the 3 men walking fast and entering his comfort zone, nothing bad was implied upon their part. His story is more a nod to awareness of surroundings than obviously thwarting a possible crime. I won't knock him for being "ready," but I will point out that these men could have had nothing sinister in mind for the OP or his friend. He should at least acknowledge that.

You're right Kut. If you need an acknowledgement from me, for whatever reason, they could have had no bad intention whatsoever. This is why I made no threatening or offensive gestures. However, I wasn't taking any chances. When a group of people, who outnumber my group, acts in an out-of-the-ordinary manner, I'm not going to assume that there's no threat at all. A group arriving THAT quickly within MY comfort zone (app. 4 feet) when there was no one else in the vicinity, set off MY personal alarm. To not at least prepare for something to possibly happen would be extremely foolish and hopefully, you'll at least acknowledge that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're right Kut. If you need an acknowledgement from me, for whatever reason, they could have had no bad intention whatsoever. This is why I made no threatening or offensive gestures. However, I wasn't taking any chances. When a group of people, who outnumber my group, acts in an out-of-the-ordinary manner, I'm not going to assume that there's no threat at all. A group arriving THAT quickly within MY comfort zone (app. 4 feet) when there was no one else in the vicinity, set off MY personal alarm. To not at least prepare for something to possibly happen would be extremely foolish and hopefully, you'll at least acknowledge that.

I have. I had no issues with how you prepared yourself. If your "Spidey Sense" goes off, I'd expect you or anyone to take precautions for your safety. I do EXACTLY the same thing ALL the time, and often come to the realization that many of the persons aren't an actual threat, but I feel completely justified in my response.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have. I had no issues with how you prepared yourself. If your "Spidey Sense" goes off, I'd expect you or anyone to take precautions for your safety. I do EXACTLY the same thing ALL the time, and often come to the realization that many of the persons aren't an actual threat, but I feel completely justified in my response.

Fair enough ...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Good work OP on keeping your situational awareness up.

You might have had nothing to worry about. Then again you could of had everything to worry about.
    Being aware you may never know but IT'S FAR BETTER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE.

Just think, you might have avoided being a participant of the knockout game!
    The more that goes on, the perps might be the losers of a new game, hopefully.

lead_large.png

Top Bottom