• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Wow, been through that area many times at night when walking back from B10 Tournament games. Were they closing in? How long were they following you before you moved? Way to stay frosty...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any evidence that pan-handlers are the source of crime?

They are in a small way. They will pick through your gear if you leave your truck un-locked. They will take unattended food and things from the docks behind the buildings.
    I have seen a few go deep six off their meds and get aggressive. Mainly homeless.

Thug's are the real issue.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    They arrested 3 young thugs last week Same ones?
    They have a history of violence. Put em down or put em away. There's a point where there is no saving these little thugs. They get told that if they continue their ways they will either be locked up or covered up and they don't care.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Off topic....slightly

A few years ago, a couple of my law partners and I were downtown for the Mini. After running that (well, they ran, I...did what I could) we were changed, showered and looking for some food downtown. One of my partners wanted to place a bet for the Kentucky Derby, but he didn't know where the OTB was. Making what I thought was a humorous assumption, he walked up to a homeless guy leaning against a newspaper box and asked for directions to the OTB. He knew....and got a tip for his info.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    When wearing a coat, which is seldom, I keep a J frame in the pocket where my hands are. Have been known to shoulder carry with a jacket on. I've only wore a coat once this year so far and I'm outside most days. But at night around the circle, forget it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Any evidence they aren't ?

The comment was that the alley behind the Sheraton is rife with homeless and misguided. The entire downtown is, and the bulk of them are pan-handlers.
    Your claim, your obligation.

and, yes, I'm fairly certain a review of the criminal data will show that the homeless and panhandlers are not responsible for the violent crime.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Any evidence that pan-handlers are the source of crime?

Yes. The majority of car break ins downtown are from the homeless. The majority of burglaries are from the homeless. Other than weekends when the kids from out east come downtown, the majority of robberies and aggravated assaults are the homeless. Oddly enough the majority of shoplifting is NOT the homeless unless it's alcohol. The majority of PI arrests under the new law is the homeless. The majority of downtown arsons is the homeless. The majority of people hit by cars downtown are the homeless...follows by jimmy johns delivery bicyclists. The majority of crimes downtown where fingerprints were collected generally come back to the homeless.

When the homeless camp was moved from the Davidson street bridge, burglaries, larcenies, and 911 calls in general south of washigton and east of meridian went from a crap ton to almost zero.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having dealt with these people for years while doing HVAC work in and around the buildings (inc. The Sheraton) I have seen them become very aggressive and a few get there heads punched in. They pee on your rig, take anything that is not nailed down and yes, I have had a few scuffles with them as far back as the early 70's. I am not one to call LEO when I catch an idiot trying to get in my service rig or fooling with my tools. I have intervened when these fools were taunting or bothering females walking to their cars in the lots downtown. I hate touching those un-washed psycho's but if I am near by I can not just stand by.

Spend some time in the alley's and dock areas of our fair city and your attitudes and opinions about bums/homeless will change dramatically. They are not nice people. Most are mentally off and all of them to a man/woman have an abuse issue.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, let me get this straight. OP, and friend, were walking down a public sidewalk when three men walking at a faster pace come up behind them (is this uncommon?). OP then, takes his hands out of his pockets, unbuttons his coat, and places his hand on his carry-side hip... which clearly indicates "I probably have a gun." The men, who have done nothing to the OP other than intrude upon his "comfort zone," then cross the street, not to be heard from again.
    ...And this is what's considered a "close call?" For who exactly?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A few years back, myself and my wife found ourselves having to walk down a street, at night, in down town Louisville. I unholstered my EDC, and placed it in my right coat pocket, with my hand on it. It was a sketchy area, with several sketchy people just kinda hanging around. Nobody bothered us, nobody even seemed to give us a second look, but I considered it a close call. Guess it's perspective, as we weren't used to being in that area.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, let me get this straight. OP, and friend, were walking down a public sidewalk when three men walking at a faster pace come up behind them (is this uncommon?). OP then, takes his hands out of his pockets, unbuttons his coat, and places his hand on his carry-side hip... which clearly indicates "I probably have a gun." The men, who have done nothing to the OP other than intrude upon his "comfort zone," then cross the street, not to be heard from again.
    ...And this is what's considered a "close call?" For who exactly?

Sometimes you just get a feeling that people are up to no good, that something's not right.

Has this never happened to you?

Top Bottom