Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those people would incorrect. Indiana Code provided such powers to the Gov. after 9/11.

I think “those people” aren’t necessarily making a “is” argument, but more of a “should” argument. I don’t think a state of emergency should last indefinitely. An emergency order should be just a stop-gap until something can be legislated. I think I’d rather the governor should have to grovel to the legislature and beg for that kind of power. So maybe he gets emergency power for 30 days. After that it becomes something other than an emergency. So he’d have to ask the legislature for the authority to extend whatever actions he wanted. And then the legislature would vote on it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, they waited 20 years to object to the law that was passed in the General Assembly? Yeah, those people are unserious.

I think I’d rather the governor should have to grovel to the legislature and beg for that kind of power.

That is exactly what happened.

So, this raving, toddler-like rage at Holcomb was based on a fundamental misunderstanding of Indiana law? Amazing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe one has a separation of powers argument in front of the Indiana Supreme Court (legislature cannot delegate this kind of thing) but I am unaware of any such appellant litigation.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You don't know who Dr. Box is? Prosecution rests.

I have found people and I ask them for a bill of particulars but I get blank looks and "that woman".

No one can tell me what they are mad about, just that a woman is telling them not to spit on each other and to wash their hands and they are howling like whipped dogs.

It is a pandemic, cases aren't going down, especially when I see my fellow citizens out in public and in line for bars. People cannot operate in the middle, only at the ends of the spectrum.
    I think “resting” is a little premature if you’re asking why people are pissed at dr Box. Me knowing or not knowing who Dr Box is does’t really have anything to do with the question you asked. It’s as if you think the people who voted for Rainwater all have the same reason, that they don’t like “that woman”.

Tell you what. It’s a pretty long thread and maybe you haven’t kept up with it. So do a thread search and see what comes up for “Dr Box” or maybe “that woman”. I’ve kept up with it mostly. So maybe I missed a post where someone got angry at “that woman”. Or hell. Maybe you aren’t all that interested in getting an answer to the question you asked. Maybe you just want to drag the Rainwater voters.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok, so, they don't understand that it was Bosma. Bosma is gone and we have a brilliant chance to axe the license.

Ignorance can be corrected, but the "that woman" teeth talk that I got cannot be cured.

1) In the thread where this was discussed in much detail from leople in contact with some of the legislators, Bosma scuttled it because Holcomb wanted him to.

2) I don’t want the license to go away. Some of us need it for reciprocity with other states. I want the law that requires a person to be licensed to carry a handgun to go away.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The original EO with the criminal penalties was likely overbroad but a cursory study of history will show Indiana Gov.'s doing much, much more. This isn't the State's first pandemic.

Indiana's response was such weak tea compared to Michigan or out East.

In fact almost all state government was focused on controlling disease outbreaks prior to the development of vaccines.
    In Holcomb’s defense, it is my understanding that the penalty for disobeying an emergency order is a class c misdemeanor already, which may have been what Holcomb was saying. Not that he was going to write the penalty into the EO, exactly. But in announcing it, he was saying what the penalty was. Of course if that was the case he didn’t have to spend a day or so having urinating contests with the AG about it and just being a general dick. He could have made it clear after the question came up what he was talking about.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, they waited 20 years to object to the law that was passed in the General Assembly? Yeah, those people are unserious.

That is exactly what happened.

So, this raving, toddler-like rage at Holcomb was based on a fundamental misunderstanding of Indiana law? Amazing.
    Not everyone understands all the laws lime a lawyer does. But then when we see a governor exercise emergency power indefinitely, it’s reasonable to think that’s something the legislators got wrong 20 years ago.

And I don’t recall Holcomb prostrate on the floor crawling to the lefislature, begging for the power to continue his EO’s. I think the nature of the pretentious question is now manifest. Toddler indeed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And I don’t recall Holcomb prostrate on the floor crawling to the lefislature, begging for the power to continue his EO’s

The Great Tyrant Frank O'Bannon did that in 2001.

If the General Assembly got it wrong then I am CERTAIN a bill reforming the statute will be introduced, e.g. fixing an emergency declaration to say 60 days at a time or the like or clawing back the delegations that the General Assembly gave out..

However, I do not believe there will be such a bill and that there will only be more petulance. I'll hope for the best. Instead of posting photos of pistols perhaps members of the General Assembly can break out the statute wherein they gave the Governor so much power and red pencil in some footnotes, or, maybe, delete entire sections.

I saw a lot of breath holding, temper tantrums and teeth talk, I saw very little logic or reason from the anti-Holcomb camp.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    4l1fs0.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    1. Because you can do something that doesn't justify doing it.

2. In case you missed it, in his capacity as party chairman, Holcomb was a central participant in demonstrating how to deal with non-establishment GOP legislators by primarying them out.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    In Holcomb’s defense, it is my understanding that the penalty for disobeying an emergency order is a class c misdemeanor already, which may have been what Holcomb was saying. Not that he was going to write the penalty into the EO, exactly. But in announcing it, he was saying what the penalty was. Of course if that was the case he didn’t have to spend a day or so having urinating contests with the AG about it and just being a general dick. He could have made it clear after the question came up what he was talking about.

All while, lest we forget, taking selfies with supporters in Nashville - without a mask.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Great Tyrant Frank O'Bannon did that in 2001.

If the General Assembly got it wrong then I am CERTAIN a bill reforming the statute will be introduced, e.g. fixing an emergency declaration to say 60 days at a time or the like or clawing back the delegations that the General Assembly gave out..

However, I do not believe there will be such a bill and that there will only be more petulance. I'll hope for the best. Instead of posting photos of pistols perhaps members of the General Assembly can break out the statute wherein they gave the Governor so much power and red pencil in some footnotes, or, maybe, delete entire sections.

I saw a lot of breath holding, temper tantrums and teeth talk, I saw very little logic or reason from the anti-Holcomb camp.

I think there will be some pressure to do so. I personally know two reps and they are hearing about it from constituents...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Because you can do something that doesn't justify doing it.

2. In case you missed it, in his capacity as party chairman, Holcomb was a central participant in demonstrating how to deal with non-establishment GOP legislators by primarying them out.

1. What I wrote in 2001-2002 is still true, something that CAN be abused WILL be abused. However, human nature longs for a Man on Horseback. Always has, always will.

2. You expect a Party Chair to do otherwise?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom