• Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not the same gun

Wow, my PM40 is dead nuts on, it's actually a little better than my Glock 33.

Same gun but mine is the SS and you would think the extra weight would help. I wrote the factory asking them what is going on and they suggested I send it back and they will test fire it for me and let me know what they find. I am waiting for a RA from them so I can box it up and ship it back.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    sights are factory

Is there anything odd about the way the sights are installed? Are they factory?

Sights are as they came from the factory and are not adjustable. I have to cover the center of the target with the front sight and aim about 2-3 inches above center to have a chance of being close to the bulls eye.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I was talking to the guys at the gunshop the other day since I am looking at Karhs as well. They said there are two types of factory front sights. The first is just a post and is not adjustable and is cheaper. The second is adjustable with a drift punch and I was told its ~$75 more. He was saying the front post sights have a tendency of working loose. Now I can't say if he was laying down a thick layer of bs to upsell, but all they had in the store were the "cheaper" front sight posts. Do you think your post could have worked its way out a little, or was this guy full of hot air?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Kahr sights

I was talking to the guys at the gunshop the other day since I am looking at Karhs as well. They said there are two types of factory front sights. The first is just a post and is not adjustable and is cheaper. The second is adjustable with a drift punch and I was told its ~$75 more. He was saying the front post sights have a tendency of working loose. Now I can't say if he was laying down a thick layer of bs to upsell, but all they had in the store were the "cheaper" front sight posts. Do you think your post could have worked its way out a little, or was this guy full of hot air?

Here is the link to Kahrs acc. store that lists all their sights. Welcome to Kahr Shop!

My sights are nice and tight from what I can see. I asked the factory to check my gun out and am waiting for a return auth. to send it back. Thanks for the input. I really love the gun and for normal PP it would be no problem as a couple inches low at 25 feet would not be an issue in this situation. I would be interested in what model you are looking at and what they are offering you price wise?

Dick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington

The "cheaper" front sight has a plastic stem, they stick it through a hole in the frame and melt the bottom side of the plastic, so that it peens over and cannot pull back up. I certainly think its possible that the post could come loose, so I wouldn't raise the :bs: on Mr.Gunshop. Whether or not they have a tendency to do so is based on how many people you talk to. If you knew the only two guys that it ever happened to, you'd think it happened regularly.

Having said that, Michiana's model (MK40) has the dovetailed front sight and thus should be immune to the problem you discussed.

On a final note, the MK40, as with the others that have dovetailed front sights, can have nightsights installed. As best as my research has shown, there is not a tritium option for the post-style front sights.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sights are as they came from the factory and are not adjustable. I have to cover the center of the target with the front sight and aim about 2-3 inches above center to have a chance of being close to the bulls eye.

Is there a dot on the front sight?

In the sight picture you mention above (assuming proper front-rear sight alignment sight alignment) is the dot centered on the bullseye or are you holding with the center of the dot 2-3 inches above the center of the bull?

If the dot is centered on the bull and the top edge of the front sight is 2-3" above the center of the target then I would say that the sights are perfect for a defensive handgun (POA aka point of aim hold), i.e. put the dot on what you want to hit.

For a target pistol most people want the top edge of the front sight to be held at the bottom of the bull (6 o' clock hold) for a center of the bull hit.

For a defensive pistol this is what I want to see:

(O)

(with a dot front sight centered on the bull)

For a target .22 this is what I want to see:

(_)

(the top of the blade at the bottom of the bull)

For a defensive pistol without a dot I want to see this:

(-)

(top of front sight centered on bull)

Forgive the crude ASCII art.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    sights on Kahr MK40

I rest the front dot on the top of the back bar and have to put it two-three inches above the bulls eye at 25 feet. See photo of sights.

gm0400img4.jpg

This is a good product review on this specific model gun. http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_gm_0400.html

Is there a dot on the front sight?

In the sight picture you mention above (assuming proper front-rear sight alignment sight alignment) is the dot centered on the bullseye or are you holding with the center of the dot 2-3 inches above the center of the bull?

If the dot is centered on the bull and the top edge of the front sight is 2-3" above the center of the target then I would say that the sights are perfect for a defensive handgun (POA aka point of aim hold), i.e. put the dot on what you want to hit.

For a target pistol most people want the top edge of the front sight to be held at the bottom of the bull (6 o' clock hold) for a center of the bull hit.

For a defensive pistol this is what I want to see:

(O)

(with a dot front sight centered on the bull)

For a target .22 this is what I want to see:

(_)

(the top of the blade at the bottom of the bull)

For a defensive pistol without a dot I want to see this:

(-)

(top of front sight centered on bull)

Forgive the crude ASCII art.

Last edited:

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I would be interested in what model you are looking at and what they are offering you price wise?

Dick
    I guess I didn't say it, but it was at the Griffith Blythes location. I didn't pay close attention to their price stickers since all they had were 40s on the shelf and I am looking for a 9. Although I think the CW40 was 480ish, I have seen the CW9 at Cabellas for 440ish. Don't know if there is a price difference between 40 and 9. I would like to shoot a CW9 and a PM9 to see what they both feel like sometime. I am looking for compact single stack.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    pricing

I guess I didn't say it, but it was at the Griffith Blythes location. I didn't pay close attention to their price stickers since all they had were 40s on the shelf and I am looking for a 9. Although I think the CW40 was 480ish, I have seen the CW9 at Cabellas for 440ish. Don't know if there is a price difference between 40 and 9. I would like to shoot a CW9 and a PM9 to see what they both feel like sometime. I am looking for compact single stack.

Mine is the all stainless MK40, their ultra compact, and dealer cost was over $600 and I believe the 9 and 40 were priced the same. This is one of the smallest CC on the market, I believe the Ruger mini wins first prize for lightest pocket gun but there is a long waiting list for them.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I didn't see a trigger issue

Kahrs have absolutely awful triggers, and that alone tends to make people shoot low.

I had no issue with the trigger but I do not have a lot of different guns in this style to compare to. My Steyr and my Walthers seem to have comparable pulls as the Kahr.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Kahrs have absolutely awful triggers, and that alone tends to make people shoot low.

I must respectfully disagree with you, Automator. I cannot speak for all Kahrs, but my MK40 has a fair trigger. It's not top of the line, but its way better than "awful". I suppose my gun may the only one that ever had an ok trigger, but I doubt it.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008

Apparently you have never tried a Kel-Tec P11! [especially with the 11lb. trigger] The newer 8.5lb. trigger isn't as bad.

Kahrs have some of the smoothest, out of the box, DAO triggers out there. They are far better out of the box than DA revolvers that I've owned, including S&W, Colt and Ruger. I also feel that they are better than the DA on semi-autos that I've owned, including CZ, Beretta and Sig.

The only out of the box DA trigger that I feel is smoother is the LDA trigger on Para Ordnance products, of which I have also owned.

My .02 IMHO!

Top Bottom