Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Also check yourself .....

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'm learning to get the 1911 thumb safety off as I bring it up and out of the holster. I admit it's different, but I'm getting better the more I train with it. I'm not satisfied with my draw yet. It's improving and I'm working on developing my draw yet. Slow but precise is where I'm at right now. I'm just under 2 seconds on my draw from my hands at my sides no jacket or clothing to move out of the way. With winter clothing on its around 2.5 seconds starting from hands at side clearing jacket, shirt out of way, drawing and firing hitting target.

Not great but I'm working on it.
    Not being sarcastic argumentative, but why wait until you are on the upstroke to clear the safety?

I will clear it while it is getting drawn out of the holster. But I suppose holster selection may have some impact on the sequence of events.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not being sarcastic argumentative, but why wait until you are on the upstroke to clear the safety?

I will clear it while it is getting drawn out of the holster. But I suppose holster selection may have some impact on the sequence of events.
    My holster covers the safety so I can't access it until it's above. It makes it more comfortable to carry.

MHornbrook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.
    I worked in LE for over 40 years, I always have a round chambered.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just had this conversation with a friend last night. He has been carrying for close to two years and took some training before he started carrying (don't know where or with who). I don't recall how we got onto this subject, but my friend stated that he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. Of course I asked him why not and did he realize those seconds could potentially save his or his families lives. His answer was beyond baffling to me. Seriously he responded with this... If I see a bad situation happening and I think I'm going to need my gun, I can always casually rack the slide by pressing the slide tight to my leg so it isn't so obvious to anyone who might be around (not in quotes because may not be exact words). I just looked at him puzzled and asked if he was F'ing serious and I could tell, yes he was. Then he backed it up with stating that he has a strong magnet mounted on the kick panel on the dash in his truck, so he can use that to rack the slide while seated in his truck if someone "sketchy" is approaching. Again, I know I gave hime a perplexed look and asked why? He was adamant the owners manual said never to carry the gun with a loaded chamber. I told him to look up some videos on the subject and that he really needs to get more real training. I don't think I made a dent as he questioned why with..."when I shoot at targets about 15yds away, I have good groups".
    So to echo so many others, train with a purpose. Train so that muscle memory allows a smooth safe draw without sweeping yourself. Train to clear a malfunction instinctively etc. Go shoot the dang gun and practice with it, then practice as much as you can.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My holster covers the safety so I can't access it until it's above. It makes it more comfortable to carry.
    Makes sense. Good thing is you found something that works for you. I have a level 3 holster which does not obstruct the safety so my thumb rides on it during the draw process.

To the point of being redundant important thing is to train and to train with specific goals in mind.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A year ago I realized that I did not train taking the safety off of my 1911. I always train with the safety on and the gun on the bench when I shoot. but had no been training taking it off on the draw.

So, Since I have a Serpa holster attached to the bed rail, every time un-holster in the morning I take off the safety, assume the low ready, scan for threats and re-holster on my side

Again, when I un-holster at night i disengage the safety, assume the low ready, scan for threats and re-holster in the bedside holster

I recently shot a steel challenge with my carry gun and I never missed releasing the safety in 30 evolutions.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    My all time favorite, from the younger crowd, "How can you trust that thing? the design is 100 years old!"

My reply, with a smile of course, "Yes, and it still works just fine."

Oh, gotta run. Gotta check and lube that old antique before she rusts fast! LOL

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The pipe , never left a blank space in a revolver that holds ,5,6,7 tops. What’s the purpose of a empty chamber.

Specific to revolvers, early models were not drop safe. Dropping one on the hammer could detonate the cartridge under the hammer. Transfer bars and other methods were invented to prevent that issue, but old revolvers still exist and some folks just never learned the difference. An empty chamber under the hammer still lets the gun go off with the first trigger pull, since the cocking action rotates the cylinder prior to dropping the hammer in both DA and SA revolvers. It costs you one round of capacity for drop safety.

Which is why if someone simply can't or won't carry with one in the chamber, I recommend a revolver (modern, mind you). You lose one round of capacity but still get a bang on the first trigger pull without needing any other manipulation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If I see a bad situation happening and I think I'm going to need my gun, I can always casually rack the slide by pressing the slide tight to my leg so it isn't so obvious to anyone who might be around
    You should challenge your friend to find a single reputable self-defense focused firearms instructor that teaches this method in a class.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That is the upstroke and I disengage after the gun has cleared and use the upward momentum to disengage and find my grip all in one motion. I want the barrel off of me and coming on target plus it is easier for me this way. Its all part of the "Upswing as you call it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just had this conversation with a friend last night. He has been carrying for close to two years and took some training before he started carrying (don't know where or with who). I don't recall how we got onto this subject, but my friend stated that he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. Of course I asked him why not and did he realize those seconds could potentially save his or his families lives. His answer was beyond baffling to me. Seriously he responded with this... If I see a bad situation happening and I think I'm going to need my gun, I can always casually rack the slide by pressing the slide tight to my leg so it isn't so obvious to anyone who might be around (not in quotes because may not be exact words). I just looked at him puzzled and asked if he was F'ing serious and I could tell, yes he was. Then he backed it up with stating that he has a strong magnet mounted on the kick panel on the dash in his truck, so he can use that to rack the slide while seated in his truck if someone "sketchy" is approaching. Again, I know I gave hime a perplexed look and asked why? He was adamant the owners manual said never to carry the gun with a loaded chamber. I told him to look up some videos on the subject and that he really needs to get more real training. I don't think I made a dent as he questioned why with..."when I shoot at targets about 15yds away, I have good groups".
    So to echo so many others, train with a purpose. Train so that muscle memory allows a smooth safe draw without sweeping yourself. Train to clear a malfunction instinctively etc. Go shoot the dang gun and practice with it, then practice as much as you can.
    Your friend is seriously misguided.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    I’ve heard too many stories growing up, from old guys, about revolvers going off when dropped.

A lot of those stories, I’d be willing to bet about 80%, are just myth…almost all of which are passed down from bullshitter to bullshitter.

If you’re going to commit to carrying a sidearm with the goal of protecting your life or a loved-one’s life…better to ditch the here-say and get some modern training and then tons of range time reinforcing said training.

If you’re carrying a sidearm with an empty chamber, you may as well switch to a heavy Boston stapler…it will require a lot less attention and care.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I guess I was just always worried about accidental discharge. Even though I know they have so many internal safeties nowadays against a discharge from dropping it, and it has a manual safety as well. I’m not old yet but I seem to have a problem trusting technology. I’ve shot all my life but maybe I should go take some kind of class. Thanks
    I feel the same. I could not get comfortable with the idea that there is a striker or hammer with a compressed spring hanging over a live primer in the chamber. That is why I carry double action guns only.

rwjohnson1965

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Lebanon
    I edited it. But yeah spent a few bucks on a custom made kydex holster. There’s a guy at usds in greenwood that makes them. It covers the trigger.

What’s usds ? Custom holsters in Greenwood ? I’m a freaking hill jack and don’t get out of Boone county other then go to work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I feel the same. I could not get comfortable with the idea that there is a striker or hammer with a compressed spring hanging over a live primer in the chamber. That is why I carry double action guns only.

Exactly how many stories have you heard of gun going off, that didn't involve something explaining it? I've never heard of a gun "just" going off by itself. To my knowledge there is no reason to be concerned about the cocked hammer/striker/spring hanging over a live primer as the gun was designed to do so safely.

Top Bottom