Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no here else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.

You didn’t mention how you carry and what kind of holster you are using. You are using a proper holster, aren’t you? This is every bit as important as the firearm. Get a proper holster if you don’t have one and learn to carry with one in the pipe.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I always carry with one in the chamber and the safety off, if it has one. If it ever came down to having to defend myself or family then I don't want to waste time or have to think about anything but drawing and getting a good sight picture. I pray it never happens but if it does then I want the best odds I can give myself.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Unless you were rocking an old school exposed hammer revolver that didn't have a transfer bar I have no idea why anyone would ever carry a revolver on an empty cylinder chamber.

Also I have literally no idea why anyone would carry a gun without one in the pipe, it's a paperweight at that point not a gun. If you think your pistol is just somehow going to go off on its own i suggest leaving it cocked for a week straight then pull the trigger (empty of course) that will prove it won't randomly go off.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Carry one in the pipe. No good reason not to.

Its no different than thinking you will probably have time to put on your seatbelt before getting in a crash. No, you wont.

And if you dont feel comfy doing so, seek some training to get comfy. You can get there.
    I guess I was just always worried about accidental discharge. Even though I know they have so many internal safeties nowadays against a discharge from dropping it, and it has a manual safety as well. I’m not old yet but I seem to have a problem trusting technology. I’ve shot all my life but maybe I should go take some kind of class. Thanks

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    You didn’t mention how you carry and what kind of holster you are using. You are using a proper holster, aren’t you? This is every bit as important as the firearm. Get a proper holster if you don’t have one and learn to carry with one in the pipe.
    I edited it. But yeah spent a few bucks on a custom made kydex holster. There’s a guy at usds in greenwood that makes them. It covers the trigger.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Unless you were rocking an old school exposed hammer revolver that didn't have a transfer bar I have no idea why anyone would ever carry a revolver on an empty cylinder chamber.

Also I have literally no idea why anyone would carry a gun without one in the pipe, it's a paperweight at that point not a gun. If you think your pistol is just somehow going to go off on its own i suggest leaving it cocked for a week straight then pull the trigger (empty of course) that will prove it won't randomly go off.
    I’ve heard too many stories growing up, from old guys, about revolvers going off when dropped.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anytime I hear someone present this question, I always give the same response. In one of his movies, John Wayne said it best.. A gun that's unloaded and cocked isn't worth much. Unless you were carrying an old single action revolver, there's really no reason to ever carry with an empty chamber.
    Follow the safety rules and use a quality holster and you will be fine with a loaded chamber.

Top Bottom