Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Anybody have actual strike anywhere matches?
    Ace Hardware sells the Diamond "Green" ones. They're not anywhere near as sensitive or good as the old Ohio blue tips that you could flick off your jeans and light. Too rough a surface and the tip just breaks off, too smooth and they fail to ignite and usually end up using the red phosphorous strip on the box.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Really the best way to carry
    Really the only way to carry.
    If you don’t practice with your EDC and I mean actually practice with it and you carry empty I would suggest you leave it at home.
    I have many reasons for this and most have already been covered.
    Use it. Shoot it. As much as you can. Muscle memory is a huge part of this.
    Just my humble opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One in the pipe Always and if your shield has a safety keep it off. Many stories of guys trying to pull a trigger that is on safety. When your in flight or fight you need things to be as simple as possible because your monkey brain takes over

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    And this is why I push muscle memory all the time. If it is 2nd nature to you when the needs arises the less you actually have to think about and then respond cuts the time it takes to get you gun into play. If it’s auto then very little process time in your (Monkey) brain is required to clear holster and bring it safely to Baer on the threat. Practice. Practice. Then practice some more. Seriously.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Always carry cocked and locked at a minimum if you are trained and regularly practice technique. The seconds it would take to rack in a round could cost you your life.

Jr1010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Lake county
    Holstered , round chambered, double action, doesn't have a safety....
    Seems irresponsible to carry on an empty chamber. If you don't trust yourself carrying a loaded pistol you either aren't ready, or have way too light of a trigger pull and need a different carry gun.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Muscle memory being a thing...

I ran a timed drill this past weekend that I hadn't done for a few years but used to do a lot. When I was doing it before I was carrying strong side and reload on the weak side. Now I carry both appendix. I had no trouble drawing, likely thanks to a lot of dry fire and getting used to that. I don't do much reload work in dry fire. Guess where I reached for my reload? Yup. Not where it rides now. I caught on pretty much instantly when I hit where it used to sit and came up dry, but it still added at least a second to my time. Does that matter in the real world? Almost certainly not in this instance, speed reloads are just not a thing that makes or breaks us, but it was interesting.

Apache6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2021
    Shelby County
    When I first started carrying, I carried on an empty chamber. Maybe a month or so. Once I realized it hadn't "fired" in that time I decided to have one chambered. Now it's the only way I carry.

You're definitely not alone in feeling that way. :yesway:
    I had done the same thing for about 2 weeks to build confidence. Staying tight on safety is key.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Guns are dangerous. Putting bullets in them is crazy. Just seems like you’re asking for trouble then.

Please add purple if you feel it’s necessary. 1911 fanboi. Cocked and locked, all 8 rds (7+1) all the time.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I did also. I think, if dedicated to the 1911 platform, the "thumb shelf" safety can be mastered. The problem comes when folks try to use their "gun rotation." :rolleyes:

If you are gonna carry a 1911, you have to ONLY shoot and practice with it. The switching around is what bites folks. I was a dedicated 1911 carrier, only got stung after using training Glocks in FOF classes.

Like you, I moved away from the manual safety guns. Everyone had fits, when I sold all of my 1911s.
    I am a dedicated 1911 carrier. It is "MY OPINION" that no one should switch around and carry different guns that they are "PERFECTLY FAMILIAR" with! That being said, do as you will.

Not to be contentious, but don't ever forget the Zeroth law. "My carry gun is always loaded, with one in the tube."

So, make sure you obey laws 1, 2, &3.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    And this is why I push muscle memory all the time. If it is 2nd nature to you when the needs arises the less you actually have to think about and then respond cuts the time it takes to get you gun into play. If it’s auto then very little process time in your (Monkey) brain is required to clear holster and bring it safely to Baer on the threat. Practice. Practice. Then practice some more. Seriously.
    I'm learning to get the 1911 thumb safety off as I bring it up and out of the holster. I admit it's different, but I'm getting better the more I train with it. I'm not satisfied with my draw yet. It's improving and I'm working on developing my draw yet. Slow but precise is where I'm at right now. I'm just under 2 seconds on my draw from my hands at my sides no jacket or clothing to move out of the way. With winter clothing on its around 2.5 seconds starting from hands at side clearing jacket, shirt out of way, drawing and firing hitting target.

Not great but I'm working on it.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Always. As you discovered, there might not be time to rack the slide. I grew up with 1911s, so I'm used to a safety, and carrying a gun without one made me a bit nervous too, at first. But, modern guns are very safe, and will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. The one thing to be careful of is re-holstering, negligent discharges have happened because the trigger caught on something. A good holster and proper technique will prevent that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm learning to get the 1911 thumb safety off as I bring it up and out of the holster. I admit it's different, but I'm getting better the more I train with it. I'm not satisfied with my draw yet. It's improving and I'm working on developing my draw yet. Slow but precise is where I'm at right now. I'm just under 2 seconds on my draw from my hands at my sides no jacket or clothing to move out of the way. With winter clothing on its around 2.5 seconds starting from hands at side clearing jacket, shirt out of way, drawing and firing hitting target.

Not great but I'm working on it.
    You are on the right track in your process. Not speed at 1st. Just get the movements down and repeat them as close as you can every time. Practice. Practice some more and then practice. The drill will improve with every session. Then you find it is almost mindless save for sending the signal to proceed.
    Thing is you are halfway to your grip when you pull the pistol, and your thumb just seems to find the safety and as you bring the gun to bare you have most generally put the gun ready to go as you have already defeated the grip safety. Its sounds like a lot but the reality of it is sooooo simple. All done in 1 sweet motion.
    After all that then you can find the trigger. I have mine on the switch as the barrel finds the target.

If this is way too much for you, (some folks get overwhelmed and do not practice enough) Then yes carry something a bit less involved but remember......there are more extra holes put in things you did not intend to shoot, Including yourself with a G**** so I grow so weary of the "Too many safety's" argument.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Muscle memory being a thing...

I ran a timed drill this past weekend that I hadn't done for a few years but used to do a lot. When I was doing it before I was carrying strong side and reload on the weak side. Now I carry both appendix. I had no trouble drawing, likely thanks to a lot of dry fire and getting used to that. I don't do much reload work in dry fire. Guess where I reached for my reload? Yup. Not where it rides now. I caught on pretty much instantly when I hit where it used to sit and came up dry, but it still added at least a second to my time. Does that matter in the real world? Almost certainly not in this instance, speed reloads are just not a thing that makes or breaks us, but it was interesting.
    Good point.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    This may be a dupe but when I started to carry it was a five shot revolver, no safety just a firm double action trigger. When I transitioned to a wonder nine I did not think twice about one in the chamber or if it had a safety

I miss the good ole days when every one carried revolvers and the playing field was level.

Colt357Trooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2020
    Royal oal
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.
    I’m not sure maybe it’s the older schools of thought, but I am 46 and have carried both revolvers, semiautomatic, including 1911. And other service weapons.
    And I have always had one in. The pipe , never left a blank space in a revolver that holds ,5,6,7 tops. What’s the purpose of a empty chamber. Your safety if taught properly is your finger. I know Israeli soldiers use to carry what is called I believe the Israeli carry but that’s fine with, by the time something happens, you take it out of the holster, rack one , get on target your done. Keep one in the chamber and your squared away. I’m glad your ok. I hope you choose to carry ready to go. Especially with today’s climate.
    If Kyle rittenhouse didn’t have one in the pipe he wouldn’t be here.

Top Bottom