• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I previously used a CPA when I had an S-Corp. But when I closed it down, I began doing my own again, saving myself $700 a year. Turbotax has handled everything including the business, rental unit, wife's teaching expenses, and of course interest, etc... quite well.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I previously used a CPA when I had an S-Corp. But when I closed it down, I began doing my own again, saving myself $700 a year. Turbotax has handled everything including the business, rental unit, wife's teaching expenses, and of course interest, etc... quite well.

My nephew had H&R block do his taxes which was probably a 1040 ez, and even with his refund, he wound up owing money to cover the cost of their preparation fee lol

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I prepare my own taxes - use TurboTax and TaxAct programs to compare/verify results.
    Also do taxes for family members.
    I like running numbers and actually enjoy the process.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I have done my taxes all my life. My first couple years, I had help from my dad. After that it was all me. I have been using TurboTax for years which helps considerably.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I didn't want to start a new thread because I got a lot of answers here but school me, its almost 3 years later how much has changed? What is recommended for DIY?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive used TurboTax for years. Works well, and so far no audits.

Hang on, somebody's banging on my front door yelling loudly to open up. I think they said they are roadies with the band Warrant? Cant tell. BRB gotta see whats up with that. I think they want the guys in the band up the street.

***NO CARRIER***

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Turbo Tax for me too. I had everything filed by Jan. 18th. My (small) state refund was in my account on the 30th. My (small) fed refund was in on the 31st.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    As a CPA who has practiced in public accounting for 20+ years, I believe the best DIY software available is HR Block. Even with access to our firm's tax software, I was using TurboTax year after year because the DIY software packages do a much better job of asking the right questions and ensuring you cover the most common bases without missing something. Until the price kept going up on TurboTax, and they priced me out of their product. Three years ago, I transitioned to HR Block and found it to be just as easy to use but significantly less than the comparable TurboTax software.

YMMV but don't shy away from HR Block if you're a diehard TurboTax user.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I used to when life was simple, but there were a couple of things I wasn't sure about over the last few years so I go to a local guy who is also an INGOer. :)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive used H&R block online for the last 5 years now. This year i wanted to compare with Turbo Tax so i set up account with them also. Did taxes exactly the same way and Turbo Tax was $1500 less for federal and $150 less for state than H&R. Pretty obvious which one i went with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive used H&R block online for the last 5 years now. This year i wanted to compare with Turbo Tax so i set up account with them also. Did taxes exactly the same way and Turbo Tax was $1500 less for federal and $150 less for state than H&R. Pretty obvious which one i went with.

if you don’t mind me asking, what did TurboTax miss?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As a CPA who has practiced in public accounting for 20+ years, I believe the best DIY software available is HR Block. Even with access to our firm's tax software, I was using TurboTax year after year because the DIY software packages do a much better job of asking the right questions and ensuring you cover the most common bases without missing something. Until the price kept going up on TurboTax, and they priced me out of their product. Three years ago, I transitioned to HR Block and found it to be just as easy to use but significantly less than the comparable TurboTax software.

YMMV but don't shy away from HR Block if you're a diehard TurboTax user.

Been using H&R Block software for many years. Can't compare as I have not used TurboTax, etc. My taxes have gotten a bit more complicated this year, and waiting on another form to complete everything but seems to handle everything fine so far. I do both kids taxes with it as well.

Occasionally when I run into a new tax situation the questions aren't always clear, but a bit of research on the web and I usually am able to figure it out pretty easily with info from the pertinent IRS publication and re-reading the question/looking at the whole form, etc a bit.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    if you don’t mind me asking, what did TurboTax miss?

I really wish i knew. I used all the same info and claimed the standard deduction. Claimed 2 kids and my girlfriend(stay at home mom) and head of household status, just like every year. I decided to try Turbo Tax since it was cheaper but the results obviously were way better with H&R block. I feel a lot more protected using H&R witj the package i purchased(gives me representation if im audited) and had zero issues in the past. So i guess i really cant answer what they missed.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I used TurboTax last year and was happy with it, I have a very simple return except for my HSA. This year I tried Hr block and TurboTax to see what the difference would be. Hr block was $2 higher on Federal, but $24 less on state than TurboTax. I don't see how they can be off that far on state taxes with the exact same information.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I used TurboTax last year and was happy with it, I have a very simple return except for my HSA. This year I tried Hr block and TurboTax to see what the difference would be. Hr block was $2 higher on Federal, but $24 less on state than TurboTax. I don't see how they can be off that far on state taxes with the exact same information.

Just the oppsite for me. Using Turbo Tax would of cost upwards of $1700 compared to H&R. I cant understand the huge discrepancy. Both returns accepted, state already approved and set to be mailed out tomorrow.
    I definitely will continue to use H&R block.
    Also my return is just a few dollars more this year over last which went thru just fine so im assuming all calculations are correct one again at the Federal level, but i purchased the H&R preparation that gives me IRS protections just in case

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife used to do our taxes. When I garnered an ownership interest in the firm I used to be at, things got a little complicated. We have had a CPA friend who does them and we are very pleased. The friend thing became a little uncomfortable for our CPA last year when she had to break the news that we would be writing a 5 figure check to Uncle Sam. It certainly wasn't her fault. We made our quarterly estimated payments, then Q4 went a little better than we had predicted.....and the gubmint wanted its chunk. Our estimates this year anticipated a good Q4, so while there will still be a check written, we're anticipating 4 figures this time.

I won't be filing until very, very close to the deadline...for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom