Do you buy firearms you don't intend on shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shoot 'em.
    The more they cost, the more they should be shot..justification ;)
    Hunted in bad weather, with Python E series.
    Drenched.
    Had to take it all apart, dry out, re-oil.
    PITA.
    Next one will be stainless (and I'll avoid rainy day deer hunting).

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I have a few firearms I have not fired. Most of the firearms in that group were purchased at a price too good to pass up. Others were multiples of firearms that I realy enjoy like a SAR K2 .45 that I purchased as an impulse buy from Bradis for $500. Later GrabaGun was selling the SAR K2 .45 for $355 shipped so I ordered a spare. In the 1990s the CMP was selling M1 Garands for $300 to $400 so I purchased as many as I could at that price. The CMP also sold other Army weapons at great prices so I purchased several of each. I also have guns that I have not fired for years like the Model 29 S&W I stopped shooting in the late 1970s because I would develop a flinch (I liked Norma 44 Magnum cartridges) for a few days that would carry over to my competition shooting. As my interest changed, my PPC, high power and bullseye guns were no longer used and have not been fired for awhile. I am an accumulator of firearms.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess it depends on the purpose he intends. For my purposes buying something I don't plan to shoot is a waste of money.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a few heirlooms that are ether unsafe to shoot or that have sentimental value in excess of the "love shooting it" syndrome. I have them mounted over the fireplace, and every time I sit down to read, reflect, or work the internet on the laptop, I remember the ones who gave me those weapons—father, grandfather, father-in-law. It will be good to see them again in the Happy Hunting Ground (relax, I just used the expression as a euphemism for heaven).

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Years ago, maybe 40 years ago, I was offered an original Sharps Carbine, YUP the real thing, it hangs on the wall and is admired, but never shot.

There are more than a few others, but only because there are so many.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've done it once in my life, and it was just a few months ago. When Colt announced it was discontinuing its XSE line of 1911's, I grabbed one chambered in 9mm, which had not been in production long at all. I really didn't WANT that particular gun, but I thought it might be worth a slight premium to the right person one day, or I could use it as trade bait down the road. It's sitting in the back of the safe NIB waiting on the right opportunity. . .but it is hard knowing there is a gun in my home just begging to be fired.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I buy some guns with the intention of giving them to the grandkids someday.Others just for investments such as old Colts or old Smiths.I also have some I love to shoot.I guess that is what makes this my hobby.

I have several that I have bought for my Grandkids to enjoy when they get a little older. They will be the first to shoot them, not Poppy.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Every gun I own/previously owned had at least one box of ammo put through it before being put away or sold.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not if you just enjoy the fact that you own it!
    I'm just not very sentimental I guess. Some people like to collect rare or special things. And that's okay for them. It's just not for me. When I buy a firearm it's something I want to shoot.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I buy guns I intend to shoot, and most of the time do shoot! I have a few I don't get as much use out of for whatever reason, but none I've never shot. My dad and a few other guys I know have a couple rifles they have bought at good prices and put back just to have them. Not much of a reason to shoot them when you have others the same or that's the purpose etc. I think more than anything they have the buy while prices are low and not high later mentality...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nope

I am a shooter. My rule of thumb is if it has not been shot in a year it gets gone.

Out with the old in with the new. When a new one comes in out goes an old one.

Top Bottom