Do you buy firearms you don't intend on shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I know of a guy that buys firearms with no intent of shooting them. I understand if you buy a rare, antique or unsafe / display gun not shooting it. What I'm talking about is walking into a LGS / sporting goods / walmart / ect. buying a common firearm with no intent of shooting it. Just buys it and puts it in the safe. To each their own, but...... Opinions?

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Pretty much where I am. I do the military surplus rifles so they have had the snot shot out of them before I even buy them. I intend to carry on the tradition. I'm not going to abuse them, I clean them after shooting, but they all get shot. If I own it I use it.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I'm not going to abuse them,

This is part of it, I recently bought a Marlin 1881 in 45/70, this gun was made in 1888 but to me it is a shooter. That being said I am loading for it using Trail Boss powder and fairly light (for a 45/70) 350gr bullets. My load is hitting about 1100 fps and is a fun plinking load. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with it either. Important thing is that load will never hurt that rifle. I have a beautiful older Winchester 24 in 16 gauge, it gets fed 7/8th oz loads only, no need to beat it up with super heavy field loads. Take care of the older guns and they will last well past your grandchildren.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yup, I buy guns I don't intend to shoot or shoot often anyway. When I do that though it's because they're not common or because I always wanted one but have no use for it kind of thing.

I have shooters, and they get shot a lot. Then there's others that I just like owning.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I must admit, I have a Kentucky Long Rifle in pristine condition dedicated to wall art. Also a S&W 19-3 in beautiful condition with box, manual and tools like the day it left the factory, also not seeing daylight. Everything else is getting used. I have no problem owning a beautiful piece I can just admire.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    This is part of it, I recently bought a Marlin 1881 in 45/70, this gun was made in 1888 but to me it is a shooter. That being said I am loading for it using Trail Boss powder and fairly light (for a 45/70) 350gr bullets. My load is hitting about 1100 fps and is a fun plinking load. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with it either. Important thing is that load will never hurt that rifle. I have a beautiful older Winchester 24 in 16 gauge, it gets fed 7/8th oz loads only, no need to beat it up with super heavy field loads. Take care of the older guns and they will last well past your grandchildren.

I agree, I do have a couple of Mausers that get special treatment, they get handled / admired more than shot but they DO get shot. I think it's part of the pride of owning the gun, the way it shoots! I don't understand the buy it and lock it away in the safe for years.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I guess you could look at it this way. You said you could understand if they were rare or antique. One day they will be and he'll have a safe full of them in new condition. Definitely a long term investment but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I must admit, I have a Kentucky Long Rifle in pristine condition dedicated to wall art. Also a S&W 19-3 in beautiful condition with box, manual and tools like the day it left the factory, also not seeing daylight. Everything else is getting used. I have no problem owning a beautiful piece I can just admire.

you know somewhere down the line that gun is going to get shot, why let someone else have the pleasure of shooting it?

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana

I can respect that, but that would fall under the rare/ antique part. Would you buy a 'fill in the blank" new gun at your LGS with no intent on shooting? Oh by the the way since you brought it up "Kentucky Long Rifle" can we see pictures??

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Yup, I buy guns I don't intend to shoot or shoot often anyway. When I do that though it's because they're not common or because I always wanted one but have no use for it kind of thing.

I have shooters, and they get shot a lot. Then there's others that I just like owning.

"I buy guns I don't intend to shoot or shoot often anyway."

Examples?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    "I buy guns I don't intend to shoot or shoot often anyway."

Examples?

Picked up a 657 Mountain Gun last year, wanted it because it was the first one I'd ever seen in person and because it is uncommon, matched my 657 Classic Hunter II pretty well in terms of rarity. I've shot it once so far, in my defense though haven't shot a lot of revolvers lately. Would really like to get a 3" 657 for the same reason. Not a Desert Eagle fan but I'd rock one in .41 mag if I ever found a deal on one/lucked into it.

Have had my eye on a 40 S&W Hi Power for a little while, I have no use for the 40 cartridge and just want it cause it goes with my other 2 Hi Powers

Couple years ago I bought a Colt Officer's Model Target .38 spl (1949), got it cause I liked the old Colt revolver looks and mechanics and haven't shot it all that much. In this case though I did buy it for the use of a target gun/shooter, but spare time has stopped me from shooting this one all that much.

A S&W K22, Pre 17, model 17 or 18 would be nice, but I wouldn't shoot them all that much but I know a guy who would sell me an 18 and maybe if I sweet talked him his 8 3/8" Model 17. I shoot .357 mag maybe once a year but I wouldn't mind owning a model 66 with a recessed cylinder.

Lots of cool guns out there that I like but really I'd have no practical use for the firearm besides want. Been limiting those purchases lately anyway due to other expensive accessories (optics, suppressors) and just life in general.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have guns that I have purchased, just to own. Some I have shot and enjoyed others just looked at and enjoyed. Some I have sold and wish I had not.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    There is a beautiful Mauser at a LGS I have been drooling over for quite a while. Can't bring myself to buy it, it is original and still in the cosmoline. I know if I bought it I would have to shoot it. The minute I cleaned out the cosmoline out the value would drop, so I will wait till I can find one in lesser condition, buy it and shoot it.

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I buy some guns with the intention of giving them to the grandkids someday.Others just for investments such as old Colts or old Smiths.I also have some I love to shoot.I guess that is what makes this my hobby.

Top Bottom