Do different generations have a stereotype firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I suspect those from "gun families" would know early in life what they liked. Those of us who caught the fever later in life are probably most influenced by Hollywood, magazines, etc. I know my want for a 1911 stems from Magnum P.I. At the time I didn't know it was called a 1911. In fact I thought all guns shaped that way were "45's". Once I started buying, it was mostly budget that dictated the gun type. With more income came more gun options. Still don't have enough income for everything I want. And still don't have my "45".

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    there are certain brands or gun types that different age groups seem to carry. Guys in their 60’s..
    Referring only to white males I think you're close. Snubby revolves in a Milt Sparks holster for the old guys, 1911's after that and then plastic guns for the under 60 crowd.

Women purchase almost half of the new firearms and first time sales to minorities are booming. Regardless of their generation I think they are overwhelmingly buying plastic guns. The women I know who carry prefer slim single stack 9mm and .380s

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have some 1911s and probably like shooting better than the other choices but have been carrying an H&K most of the time. It is plastic so it is lighter but I still have a hammer to avoid getting the Glock leg.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    You forgot one.

4. Those that tried 1911s, but they're lefties, so brass always ejected into their faces, which resulted in them giving up on pistols that need custom work right out of the box just to make them carryable.
    I’m a lefty. That’s why I stuck to revolvers for so long

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm 75 and kinda' chuckling because I'm a bit different than many here, particularly in the long gun category. I do have a couple of ARs but they are both long/heavy barrel guns intended for bench shooting and/or prairie dogging. We have four 10/22s in three different calibers and one Marlin 39 but the rest of our rifles are varmint barreled, scoped, bolt guns. Most of them were born as, or modified to be, single shot versions. I prefer to keep my barrels alive and well as long as possible. Handguns are another story. I've got three single action rimfires, a couple of Smith revolvers, six Glocks in three different calibers, and a Taurus Judge. Maybe I'm not too different except I have zero use for any kind of AK. Not that they're "bad", they just don't fit the kind of shooting we do.

Like everybody else, it's just an opinion. There's no wrong answer.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm in my 40s and I don't mind a plastic fantastic carry gun that can become practically invisible. I have an appreciation for stuff like Glock (never owned one), M&P etc. But, the guns I'm most drawn to are revolvers (3-6" barrels), blued lever action rifles with wood stocks, shotguns with deep bluing and beautiful walnut stocks for which I prefer a double barrel or pump action. And, I just can't help it but I have a thing for old guns especially old shotguns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Would striker fired and concealed hammers have the same drawbacks? Such that lack of external access to the hammer would be considered more/less/equal to striker fired guns? I ask because my guns with hammers are shrouded. I can touch the hammer kinda.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Would striker fired and concealed hammers have the same drawbacks? Such that lack of external access to the hammer would be considered more/less/equal to striker fired guns? I ask because my guns with hammers are shrouded. I can touch the hammer kinda.
    If you can touch the hammer it would do about the same, when I carried a pistol with a hammer I would put my thumb on the hammer when holstering. If you feel the hammer start to move somethings wrong. With a striker fired or concealed hammers you can't do that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You forgot one.

4. Those that tried 1911s, but they're lefties, so brass always ejected into their faces, which resulted in them giving up on pistols that need custom work right out of the box just to make them carryable.
    Man that just ain’t true brother.
    Cold. That’s seriously cold man :p

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Is it a regional thing or is it even real? Just seems in my little corner of the world that there are certain brands or gun types that different age groups seem to carry. Guys in their 60’s.. 1911. 70’s, almost always a revolver. 50’s 1911 or sig, 40’s Glock, 30’s lotta shields and glocks, 20’s I actually don’t know. Is it just the ppl I know or is it pretty universal? Or am I wrong completely?

I'm in my 60's, and the 1911 is my choice. To be fair, it has been my choice since I was about 6.

Top Bottom