Do different generations have a stereotype firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Solid point. I'll defer to your expertise as I've not (yet) been carjacked. But from personal accounts of friends who have, it seems the near contact issue is forced upon the driver by design of the attacker. My experience with 9mm shot rounds has demonstrated poor consistency in cycling the gun. I've only ran CCI 8oz #12. I believe your observations of the "hobby" gun.

I would counter you gain nothing by going close contact only. It's not like the 'standard' carry guns don't also work up close, and with more reliable wounding.

Snake shot won't cycle semi-autos, generally.

MHornbrook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2021
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Is it a regional thing or is it even real? Just seems in my little corner of the world that there are certain brands or gun types that different age groups seem to carry. Guys in their 60’s.. 1911. 70’s, almost always a revolver. 50’s 1911 or sig, 40’s Glock, 30’s lotta shields and glocks, 20’s I actually don’t know. Is it just the ppl I know or is it pretty universal? Or am I wrong completely?
    I believe that may have been possible at one time. However, I am seeing changes in my extended family. I never thought they would own firearms now they have started purchasing them. Even had on nephew that is wanting to learn to shoot. I think with the riots and crime waves people are waking up. Just take a look at the number of new gun being sold.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I'm 57, growing up the early years guns were not allowed in the house. Mom made dad sell his few when the kids started coming along, she was totally convinced we would be having firefights in the living room over the last Reese cup. A move to a rural area, thefts and prowlers at a home construction site across the street, and finally an encounter with a bunch of drunk guys on night when they rolled past our little motorhome we were staying in convinced her we needed to be armed. Dad went right down to KMart and bought a Winchester .22 auto rifle and a couple boxes of CCI minimags that next day.

Eventually we would wind up with 2 cheap RG .22 single action handguns, a Mossberg 500 Mariner, and a Glenfield .30-30. Dad was on a budget... Dad was a WWII vet and never trusted the 1911. Consequently, as a tank mechanic, he carried a sidearm but traded into a pair of revolvers. He always preferred revolvers and in his later years I loaned him a pristine Model 10 I bought off the family of the guy who bought it new and put it in the drawer for decades. Dad carried it for years.

Even before the change in my Mom's gun opinion, I was interested in them. Read any magazines I could get ahold of, looked the various models up in the encyclopedia, etc. I always had a preference for military type guns, autoloaders at least. Although I do appreciate a good Winchester lever gun and the classic Colt SAA, what red blooded American kid could watch John Wayne and not want his iconic weaponry?

My first purchase for myself was a Steyr GB, carried it for years. Shot some IPSC locally, so bought a Springfield Armory 1911 used, actually won a match in my class once. Other guys screwed up more than me! First revolver was a Ruger Security Six, then a Ruger MKII pistol. Over the years I've bought a few auto pistols, a couple pump shotguns, and various rifles, many built up as semi autos from a parts kit and new receiver. I too am on a budget and a $100 L1A1 kit and a $200 receiver was the only way i was ever going to have an FAL type rifle.

Thought the Glock was a fad when it first came out, although the G17 I shot was very soft recoiling. The grip angle just never did it for me. Now I own a few Polymer 80 versions as the grip is just right on those.

When I hit the Lottery that original blue Python and third series Detective Special will be mine!

My current carry piece is a Kahr P9, slim and light with basically a revolver DA-only type trigger. Backup is a S&W 642.

My "collection" is widely varied, and from what I have seen of friends collections, theirs are too. All ages.

Maybe not a "gun person" gun owners have generational preferences, but most of the guys I know, unless they specialize in a certain type of collecting, have wide ranging tastes and are generally only limited by budget.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    My observation is the same as those of the OP. Among the experienced gun owners, the older guys almost exclusively carry 1911, while the middle aged guys carry Glock and the young people carry hell cats and p365.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    My observation is the same as those of the OP. Among the experienced gun owners, the older guys almost exclusively carry 1911, while the middle aged guys carry Glock and the young people carry hell cats and p365.
    At the range I am at both in classes and range use I see a lot of old and young running Sig 365. Especially the 365 X and XL. Probably the most popular small carry piece at the moment.

Hellcats we’re sort of strong for the first year then fizzled in numbers I see.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Elderly millennial here (born in the earlier 80s) and obsessed with eastern bloc stuff.

My first modern long gun purchase was an AR, followed by another AR. Neither of those ever scratched that proverbial itch, even after a few thousand rounds and a few different setups. I tried hard to like the AR, I just never really could. Also, for me it didn't help that seemingly every other person at every other range had the same generic black rifle, to the point where if you threw them in a pile most folks wouldn't be able to tell theirs apart. So, I started pining for something different.

Being a fan of milsurp and world history, that led me to the AK. From there it was love at first sight and game over. I still appreciate my old WWII bolt guns, shoot the snot out my PCCs ... even schlep an old 94 lever gun to the range from time to time. But I'm all in on AKs.

And I carry a Makarov lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Elderly millennial here (born in the earlier 80s) and obsessed with eastern bloc stuff.

My first modern long gun purchase was an AR, followed by another AR. Neither of those ever scratched that proverbial itch, even after a few thousand rounds and a few different setups. I tried hard to like the AR, I just never really could. Also, for me it didn't help that seemingly every other person at every other range had the same generic black rifle, to the point where if you threw them in a pile most folks wouldn't be able to tell theirs apart. So, I started pining for something different.

Being a fan of milsurp and world history, that led me to the AK. From there it was love at first sight and game over. I still appreciate my old WWII bolt guns, shoot the snot out my PCCs ... even schlep an old 94 lever gun to the range from time to time. But I'm all in on AKs.

And I carry a Makarov lol.
    Hipster-Kitty-Makarov-Open-Carry.jpg

;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    After watching Hawkeye last night, I'm gonna start carrying my recurve and a quiver full of black arrows.

It may not be effective for self-defense, but I might get a date with Hailee Steinfeld.

1640891329094.jpeg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Solid point. I'll defer to your expertise as I've not (yet) been carjacked. But from personal accounts of friends who have, it seems the near contact issue is forced upon the driver by design of the attacker. My experience with 9mm shot rounds has demonstrated poor consistency in cycling the gun. I've only ran CCI 8oz #12. I believe your observations of the "hobby" gun.
    I carry bird shot in the chamber as it with my up for my poor first shot by stunning the perp. Then I will have time to get a perfect sight picture and then let them have a one shot stop....

Top Bottom