Do different generations have a stereotype firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    45 posts and no one has brought up CM's generation?? Sorry man!! Somebody had to do it.

893480_1.jpg

Be realistic....

iu

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Born 1960’s.
    Started going to gun show with dad 1970’s.
    Started buying my own 1980’s.

Now dad Gave me my first gun that was mine alone after raising 200 chickens a 20 gauge single shot Stevens youth model (still have it) gave me my 870 wingmaster around 16 for Christmas. I also bought a 22 single shot in high school I still have. So I started with 2 shotguns and a 22. (We hunted and trapped). Pick wisely here as they all are lifer guns. Most likely these will be used by great grandchildren also.

I purchased my first rifle at 18 when bradis still sold a lot more chainsaws than guns. The revolver case area was the gun store. I got a Winchester 9422 in 22 mag because I shot a fox that pulled up my trap three times before he went down. Started my lever action obsessed future purchases.

At 21 I purchased my first pistols. A ruger gov’m model mark 2. Followed by a smith model 60 and a t/c contender. What I wanted was the h@k squeeze cocker but everytime I got enough money the German mark jumped to get it just out of my price range sometimes just the tax I could not afford. In 1986 they were giving away polytech AK’s and I got mine. Rem 700 222 triple deuce at the pawn shop for a steal.

One Glock has stuck around. The 17L and I don’t shoot it well. All the others I have tried were ok but got traded off. Even the Glock in 45 ACP just sat in the end of the world box for years before selling it off. I see the value just not for me.

So what I purchase now is still based on what I bought then. AK’s for SHTF. Smith 357 model 66 stubby for EDC. Rem 700 browning ABOLTs for bolts action rifles. Lever action rifles for hunting and fun. T/c contenders for fun and hunting. Target 22 pistols for range fun.

If I know that is could get nasty in the outside world I will carry my sig 229 40 cal. (Or 357 sig if I feel then need.) I seem to like the sig and smith 5900 series best. Normally the 357 is going to town.

I know my purchases have climbed in value over the years. Polytech was 263 dollars plus tax with a case of ammo. Winchester 9422 was 259 with four power dented scope) I sold the model 60 (regrettably) in the 1980’s. If I buy it I ether have a collector looking for one or I want it to collect. I tend to trade around with others only to move up to mint copies of what I have now or less made versions. Heck I still shoot my PSE compound bow yearly that I bought in 1995. I do not buy and upgrade to the new versions like others. Still puts any deer in 45 yard circle down and shoots well for me.

I guess the coffee has me going on and on.
    Smith revolvers. Lever actions. Bolt actions and pump shotguns.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Not to hijack thread, but did you buy the Judge over the SW Governor or buy before SW Gov was available? Thoughts on your Judge??
    It was purchased before the Gov was available. It's chambered for 2.5" shells but it's still a handful to shoot with stout loads. I think the Gov is heavier which should mitigate recoil a bit. The Judge has proved to be bad medicine for rattlesnakes a few times with #6 shot. That was it's original intent. With more serious loads, it is one of our "night guns".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was purchased before the Gov was available. It's chambered for 2.5" shells but it's still a handful to shoot with stout loads. I think the Gov is heavier which should mitigate recoil a bit. The Judge has proved to be bad medicine for rattlesnakes a few times with #6 shot. That was it's original intent. With more serious loads, it is one of our "night guns".

Please don't. At best it's a less accurate .45 Colt. At worst it's a boo-boo maker. I've seen some 'injuries' from the various shot and shot/disc loads from the Judge and they are band-aid and go home sorts of things at even relatively close distances. They are so many better options, many of which I'm sure you already own, than what's basically a meme gun.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I’m 52….. my favorite handguns are a Colt NM 1911 and my 1951 Colt Detective. Leverguns…. Love ‘em!!! Have a myriad of 22’s and have really garnered my attention as of late. I have some black rifles of different makes and also a plastic pistol… I enjoy them but not what really makes me tick….. I’m a multi generational gun user who prefers older firearms honestly.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    With me it has always been Winchester Model 12's. I have and have bought all kinds of guns, pistols, revolvers, bolt, pump, break open and semi rifles and shotguns. I am a softy for the military stuff, but I will always come home to the M12.

Wood and blue are what I am usually looking to bring home...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't grow up around handguns. It was Winchester 94s, Marlin 336s, Remington pumps and autos and the occasional Savage 99. That's what I like. I have other styles and a dozen different handguns but only one plastic fantastic of any kind. A Colt Match Target.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Please don't. At best it's a less accurate .45 Colt. At worst it's a boo-boo maker. I've seen some 'injuries' from the various shot and shot/disc loads from the Judge and they are band-aid and go home sorts of things at even relatively close distances. They are so many better options, many of which I'm sure you already own, than what's basically a meme gun.
    Your description makes it sound like an ideal car-jacking defender. Here's a boo-boo to your face! I am surprised by your opinion of the shot/disc round, but duly noted. I am a fan of one weapon that can fire so many different round types, even if it is a bit impractical for daily carry. Shot, shot/disc, 45LC all from the same shooting "event".

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Your description makes it sound like an ideal car-jacking defender. Here's a boo-boo to your face! I am surprised by your opinion of the shot/disc round, but duly noted. I am a fan of one weapon that can fire so many different round types, even if it is a bit impractical for daily carry. Shot, shot/disc, 45LC all from the same shooting "event".
    Yeah it does all those things equally poorly.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have belonged to a few clubs and have had contact with some people for almost 40 years. In every age group you see people completely committed to a style of shooting and the firearms most commonly used. Ten years later, all his efforts will be around a different style of shooting. I remember when Cowboy action shooting got popular, I was surprised at how many of all ages got involved. They all looked like they were having a great time.

Sometimes age does come into effect, for example, some of the guys who shot precision target, like Bullseye, PPC, Silhouette, High Power switched to trap and skeet when their eyesight started getting weak. I do not think it is really an age / stereotype as much as changing interests or necessity.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

That's good they were marketed originally. Sounded good. Hasn't panned out. Why turn a gun into a near contact weapon?

CCI makes snake shot in .45 Colt as well as every other common revolver caliber. You don't need a Judge to have shot. If you carry a a hobby, you do you. If you carry with the expectation it may be called upon in life or death matters, there are so many better options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As I get older I am enjoying revolvers much more than I use to. Every since my son got his Vaquero 45colt I've been interested in buying a few SA revolvers in 357, and 45colt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Why turn a gun into a near contact weapon?
    Solid point. I'll defer to your expertise as I've not (yet) been carjacked. But from personal accounts of friends who have, it seems the near contact issue is forced upon the driver by design of the attacker. My experience with 9mm shot rounds has demonstrated poor consistency in cycling the gun. I've only ran CCI 8oz #12. I believe your observations of the "hobby" gun.

Top Bottom