DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    So am I reading this correctly. It is stating that the .243 change is for handguns only?

(4) A rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:
    (A) Fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths (.357) of an inch diameter or larger.
    (B) Have a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches.
    (C) Have a maximum case length of one and eight-tenths (1.8) inches.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    It's about time. I've long held the suspicion the ban was implemented by men that had no understanding of external ballistics. It's not like a projectile keeps moving indefinitely until it finds something fleshy to sink into and maim. The trajectory drop off of rifle projectiles is far faster then most people would image.

Ballistic Calculator GunData.org

A 30/30 Winchester fired with an aimed reference point at 2-1/2 feet above level (ranged at 100 yards) will have hit the earth @ roughly 300 yards. By 500 yards it would have dropped approximately 10 feet. I've seen arguments that some areas of this state are too flat and these bullets will travel too far. Nonsense. A sabot slug in a rifled 12 gauge is (IMO) more effective, and just as dangerous, as the before mentioned 30/30. I've seen 12 gauge w/ rifled barrels shoot five shot groups that you could cover with the bottom of a red solo cup.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So...what's the thinking right now on 300BLK from a legal SBR? Seems like it is a little ambiguous at this point since an SBR is a rifle with barrel < 16" according to the BATFE, and thus would actually be considered a hand gun under IC 35-47-1-6. The hunting regs say you cannot hunt with a handgun that is a rifle < 18" (in other words and SBR that is deemed to be a pistol under IC 35-47-1).

So...looks like those of us wanting to use 300BLK from an AR-15 upper that has < a 16" bbl need to still hunt with it in pistol configuration, correct?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It's about time. I've long held the suspicion the ban was implemented by men that had no understanding of external ballistics. It's not like a projectile keeps moving indefinitely until it finds something fleshy to sink into and maim. The trajectory drop off of rifle projectiles is far faster then most people would image.

Ballistic Calculator GunData.org

A 30/30 Winchester fired with an aimed reference point at 2-1/2 feet above level (ranged at 100 yards) will have hit the earth @ roughly 300 yards. By 500 yards it would have dropped approximately 10 feet. I've seen arguments that some areas of this state are too flat and these bullets will travel too far. Nonsense. A sabot slug in a rifled 12 gauge is (IMO) more effective, and just as dangerous, as the before mentioned 30/30. I've seen 12 gauge w/ rifled barrels shoot five shot groups that you could cover with the bottom of a red solo cup.

Caliber restrictions are not for safety, they are for deer management.

So...what's the thinking right now on 300BLK from a legal SBR? Seems like it is a little ambiguous at this point since an SBR is a rifle with barrel < 16" according to the BATFE, and thus would actually be considered a hand gun under IC 35-47-1-6. The hunting regs say you cannot hunt with a handgun that is a rifle < 18" (in other words and SBR that is deemed to be a pistol under IC 35-47-1).

So...looks like those of us wanting to use 300BLK from an AR-15 upper that has < a 16" bbl need to still hunt with it in pistol configuration, correct?

That is my understanding as I did not see any additional provisions for SBRs but I added that to my submission.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Caliber restrictions are not for safety, they are for deer management.

Indiana going to CENTERFIRE rifles ?? [Archive] - ArcheryTalk Forum: Archery Target, Bowhunting, Classifieds, Chat

There is plenty of discussion and debate regarding trajectory. I've seen it on DNR discussion boards, hunting discussion boards, even in hunting magazines by staff contributors that seem opposed to it due to various reasons. Some think of it as a less pure form of hunting... but use the trajectory argument as a safety issue because "I don't like it" isn't likely to sway public opinion.

If it were purely a management issue, why allow sabotted slugs in rifled shotgun barrels w/ scope? The accuracy you can achieve with such an arrangement can match accuracy with nearly anything. People in the above linked thread make it sound as if you'll be able to kill a deer from your lazyboy recliner without ever even entering the woods.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Indiana going to CENTERFIRE rifles ?? [Archive] - ArcheryTalk Forum: Archery Target, Bowhunting, Classifieds, Chat

There is plenty of discussion and debate regarding trajectory. I've seen it on DNR discussion boards, hunting discussion boards, even in hunting magazines by staff contributors that seem opposed to it due to various reasons. Some think of it as a less pure form of hunting... but use the trajectory argument as a safety issue because "I don't like it" isn't likely to sway public opinion.

If it were purely a management issue, why allow sabotted slugs in rifled shotgun barrels w/ scope? The accuracy you can achieve with such an arrangement can match accuracy with nearly anything. People in the above linked thread make it sound as if you'll be able to kill a deer from your lazyboy recliner without ever even entering the woods.

I saw the same thing there when PCRs and crossbows were being considered,.

The only way that this will not be accepted if there is overwhelming opposition to it. That happens very infrequently. It did happen when they were considering shortening and moving the gun and muzzleloader season a few years back. Opposition was so strong that the NRC told the DNR to withdraw the proposal and go back to the drawing board. That is the only time, that I can recall, that this ever happened.

IF you all want to use rifles it would behoove you to give your input to the NRC. The wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the grease..

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I'm guessing that because that law was implemented due to the "loop-hole" where SBR's were permitted to fire centerfire rifle cartridges .243 or larger, it will be stricken down eventually. It may get "lost in the shuffle" this year, but I'm confident that if these new rules are adopted that one will be stricken eventually...

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Been hearing this for a few years now , so I will believe it when I see it... Not holding my breath....

Well I have to eat my words, I talked to a DNR buddy of mine and I guess its a done deal they have already passed the change and just haven't released it to the public yet.... So if I can find a 6.5 Grendal upper for my AR I will make the change.... If not I will just hunt with what I always have...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Well I have to eat my words, I talked to a DNR buddy of mine and I guess its a done deal they have already passed the change and just haven't released it to the public yet.... So if I can find a 6.5 Grendal upper for my AR I will make the change.... If not I will just hunt with what I always have...

No. They might have the NRC votes to pass the change, but it will not pass until the NRC meeting in May. I've been working this Administrative Rules Process since we got blind sided by the OBR back in 2002 and the NRC will OK what the DNR wants UNLESS there is an overwhelming opposition.. and I do mean overwhelming.

The deep sixing of the Proposition 1 a few years back was the only one I recall. As a former DNR official told me "It was unprecedented" for the NRC to tell the DNR to go back to the drawing board. The SHTF on that one...

IMO - It would not bother me to buy a new deer rifle now if that is what I wanted...

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Is there a link to the new wording? I really am worried that they have opened the door to some underpowered cartridges that some neighboring states ban.

Top Bottom