DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Nope...I simply don't think it is needed, we already have quite a few more than needed rounds available for harvesting...no need to include HPRs. I do agree though that we either need to allow them or remove same caliber pistols from being legal. Like I've stated though I view this as inevidable so don't plan on fighting it either way. Besides...my bow suits me just fine :)

I see by your Avatar that you use a Compound Bow, I use a Recurve, I don't think there is a need for those Compound Bows for harvesting deer.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    There's that word again..."need"...

Oh geesh....I'm so sick of how anyone opposed to it gets the slander or underhanded treatment. I've said for a long time, and in previous posts....no you know what here it is again:

Okay....couple observations when this debate comes up:

-BOTH extreme thoughts are 100% wrong. To say no bad practices will occur due to this is just absolutely naive and (IMO) stupid beyond belief.

The sad truth is some humans are stupid, some others EXTREMELY STUPID. The average "Joe Hunter" isn't currently using the wildcat rounds that rival or at minimum come close to some of the HPR catridges set to be legal next year....many hit the woods with a shotgun, ML or a pistol caliber rifle (.44mag and such)....they know their guns are not much use over 200 yards (most underestimate their ML due to no education in ballistics). This leads to not many shots being taken over 100 yards or so...granted at times these "Joe Hunters" will empty their guns at 100 yards at deer moving through a corn field but still they aren't hurling bullets 400, 500 or 600 yards across a field. Now in 2015 that same "Joe Hunter" is gonna hear he can use a .308 or 30-06 so he heads to the local gun shop, trades in his current deer gun and maybe $100 and walks out with a single shot H&R or Rossi in .308...the gun shop even tells him "You'll be able to reach out and touch them much farther now!". Next time "Joe Hunter" hits the woods I guarantee you (especially if he has a scope) will take shots TWICE as far as he normally would have. Now this is gonna happen, to think otherwise is proof of not reflecting on the state of humanity.

Now the opposite extreme is also wrong....the idea that the woods will be a warzone and bullets will be flying everywhere is just as naive. The sad truth is while idiots (see above) exist, I would say the massive majority of gun hunters will not be "flinging lead" 500+ yards on the regular for 2 reasons; they either know better (safety of backstop and everything) or they don't hunt terrain that allows those kind of shots.

-The REAL issue isn't the weapon to be used it is the approach that is used.

I used to be 100% opposed to crossbows....but have since learned to accept them, due to much bigger fish are there to fry. Same can be said for the HPRs. Are they needed? Heck no, to think that shows lack of experience with modern MLs or rifled-scoped good slug guns...but I do believe it is going to happen eventually so no use in fighting it...because as I stated THERE ARE MUCH BIGGER FISH TO FRY IN OUR HUNTING COMMUNITY.

If perhaps hunters cared as much about catching/turning in poachers, trespassers, illegal hunting activities our collective hunting community could be something to be proud of and not tarnished by the numerous idiots in our ranks. Education and accountability are the two biggest things we need in Indiana woods in our hunters...that is why I could care less what weapon you use, all I care about is are you safe, ethical and legal in your approach. Funny how some of the same guys furious about this change or others are the same ones that overlook their buddies, themselves or neighbors that do illegal hunting activities.

This sport is only as clean as we collectively make it.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I see by your Avatar that you use a Compound Bow, I use a Recurve, I don't think there is a need for those Compound Bows for harvesting deer.

True...but firearm offerings already exist and in my opinion are plenty. Again though see my previous post as it lays out my personal thoughts on it. However, speaking of recurve, I am currently in the process of picking the wood I want my long bow build to be made out of.....I really want to shoot a deer with one some year.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    True...but firearm offerings already exist and in my opinion are plenty. Again though see my previous post as it lays out my personal thoughts on it. However, speaking of recurve, I am currently in the process of picking the wood I want my long bow build to be made out of.....I really want to shoot a deer with one some year.

Yes run towards the light away from the darkside ...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Oh geesh....I'm so sick of how anyone opposed to it gets the slander or underhanded treatment.

Clutch pearls much?

FWIW, I agree with the majority of what you wrote as it is fairly even-keel...but having hunted in Kentucky with modern centerfire rifles my entire life, the concerns many have about stray bullets, wounded deer, etc. simply are not founded in reality.

And yeah, it gets a little old hearing people talk about what others do or do not "need" based on their own personal opinions and/or fear of change. Its like INGO has its own group of Diane Feinsteins when it comes to deer hunting weapons.

The most honest person writing on this topic was Phylodog...

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Clutch pearls much?

FWIW, I agree with the majority of what you wrote as it is fairly even-keel...but having hunted in Kentucky with modern centerfire rifles my entire life, the concerns many have about stray bullets, wounded deer, etc. simply are not founded in reality.

And yeah, it gets a little old hearing people talk about what others do or do not "need" based on their own personal opinions and/or fear of change. Its like INGO has its own group of Diane Feinsteins when it comes to deer hunting weapons.

The most honest person writing on this topic was Phylodog...

False...never lied one word. Others haven't either. Whenever a discussion or dialogue of a topic occurs it is all based on personal opinions....I personally don't feel the need for them to be included...but wouldn't necessarily fight it and I'm not fighting it. Shoot I know my father will want to shoot my .257Roberts I got from a deceased friend of ours and he'll love every minute of it. :) What others use won't effect how I hunt unless they use them illegally...nothing will change for me when it passes or doesn't personally.

***also apologies for the "pearl clutching"....I get so sick of both sides thinking the other side cannot think what they choose personally. (not saying you personally did that to that degree at all)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I disagree with you about what we "need," Tynmiller, but the rest of your post about the need for ethical hunters to act to report on trespassers, poachers, and other illegality or simple poor behavior, it would benefit us all, especially with regards to public relations.
    I constantly am on the lookout for any unethical/illegal behavior while hunting or fishing, and i won't hesitate to drop a dime on any of it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So, any scouting reports on deer movement these days? Gonna head out tomorrow to see what we can do and put another doe in the freezer. Kinda thinking of rather than sitting in a stand, to try to do a little stalking through some known bedding areas. My guess is most movement is back under the cover of darkness, especially with the moon getting brighter as we come up on a full moon.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Deer definitely do most of their movement either right before or right after dusk and dawn.
    All three of my deer were shot between 8:00AM and 9:00AM.
    That's no coincidence.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    two of the last three bucks I killed were shot at 10:45am and 11:30am. Though the one I killed this year was around 5pm. Most of the bucks I saw the last few years were seen between 9:30-2pm and then again towards the last one hour before sunset. More pressure the less amount of time you see deer through out the day also.

Top Bottom