• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The U.S. does have a history of selling that which they don't own, claiming ownership to that which they don't own and taking back ownership of that which they previously gave away. I appreciate trails. I don't appreciate the state taking land via eminent domain for commercial development or in this case railway right of ways. At a minimum, should the right of way go up for sale, homeowners attached to the right of way should be allowed to bid against the state for ownership. Thirty million in the scheme of things isn't much money. But in aggregate, 30 mil here, 30 mil there starts to really add up. Trails seem to benefit society on the whole. But that shouldn't come at the expense of individual land acquisition via eminent domain. Or via lawfare for claims against abandonments stretching back hundreds of years.
    The founders put eminent domain in the constitution for a reason. I believe that reason, to keep one land owner from holding society hostage. That said Kelo was a bad decision in my non lawyer opinion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The founders put eminent domain in the constitution for a reason. I believe that reason, to keep one land owner from holding society hostage. That said Kelo was a bad decision in my non lawyer opinion.
    I’m not against eminent domain where it’s justifiable. I69 project? Yeah. Is a bike path important enough to force property owners to sell their land?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Of the many things that suck, sucky things still suck.
    brilliant-guiness.gif

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I just asked a lawyer related to the case about the status and he said it's down to CSX and the trail operator negotiating a price. Then land owners will be compensated according to their land value. If by next month there is no agreement, the deal falls through and adjacent landowners are still owed for 4 years of interim use.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    My wife and I love riding rail trails, and southern Indiana is pretty lacking in those sort of trails. We’ve ridden the Bedford to Williams dam trail several times. It’s the only one of its kind in southwest Indiana. The 20 mile round trip is a reasonable day ride for me.

On our last vacation we travelled to PA and rode 150 miles from Pittsburg to Cumberland on the Great Allegheny Passage trail. Too many crazy people on the roads, I feel much safer on a separate trail. Sadly the section of Monon from Orleans to French lick would have made a great rail trail destination but the locals fought the idea. Few people back then realized or cared about the recreational draw of a long trail, especially paved like the Cardinal greenway.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I’m not against eminent domain where it’s justifiable. I69 project? Yeah. Is a bike path important enough to force property owners to sell their land?

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. I hate I69. A new terrain highway route always requires eminent domain, takes much more land that you were using for your own private use beforehand, leaves a scar on the landscape, becomes your new noisy neighbor 24/7, and splits your land without the ability to cross.

Abandoned rail corridors were already set aside for transportation use, but as a rail trail the neighbor now gets peace and quiet 24/7, is the same narrow strip of land you weren’t using before, looks the same or nicer than the rail corridor, raises property values, and you can cross it and have your own trail access point. It also serves double duty as a park and a transportation corridor.

I’d be happy if I had a rail corridor converted to a trail in my back yard, and I’m less annoyed with my tax dollars going into it. I don’t have any kids, but I’m helping pay for your kids education (your in the general ingo sense) so you all can help pay for my rail trail. (Thanks in advance!)

Last edited:

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I like my vehicles to remain un-sabotaged, and my driveway not used as a parking lot. I enjoy quietly watching TV without the noise and sparks of thieves cutting on the railroad's abandoned equipment. I also like to walk in my yard without finding beer bottles, drug paraphernalia, stolen items and human waste left by persons that have decided this is a public area from what they've heard on the news. Hopefully there is a government program that will support my hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I like my vehicles to remain un-sabotaged, and my driveway not used as a parking lot. I enjoy quietly watching TV without the noise and sparks of thieves cutting on the railroad's abandoned equipment. I also like to walk in my yard without finding beer bottles, drug paraphernalia, stolen items and human waste left by persons that have decided this is a public area from what they've heard on the news. Hopefully there is a government program that will support my hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow.
    I have not seen significant evidence of any of this beyond the baseline of the area. You know your area and this may be the baseline for your area…

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Sounds reasonable. I suppose it depends on whether the trail is in a suburban area or rural on how much trouble you have.

Personally, I find it hard to ride my bike while I‘m high on drugs, and I’m too embarrassed to crap in someone else’s yard.…or really my own for that matter.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Sounds reasonable. I suppose it depends on whether the trail is in a suburban area or rural on how much trouble you have.

Personally, I find it hard to ride my bike while I‘m high on drugs, and I’m too embarrassed to crap in someone else’s yard.…or really my own for that matter.

Thank you for your kindness. I'm believing God will have mercy on us.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. I hate I69. A new terrain highway route always requires eminent domain, takes much more land that you were using for your own private use beforehand, leaves a scar on the landscape, becomes your new noisy neighbor 24/7, and splits your land without the ability to cross.

Abandoned rail corridors were already set aside for transportation use, but as a rail trail the neighbor now gets peace and quiet 24/7, is the same narrow strip of land you weren’t using before, looks the same or nicer than the rail corridor, raises property values, and you can cross it and have your own trail access point. It also serves double duty as a park and a transportation corridor.

I’d be happy if I had a rail corridor converted to a trail in my back yard, and I’m less annoyed with my tax dollars going into it. I don’t have any kids, but I’m helping pay for your kids education (your in the general ingo sense) so you all can help pay for my rail trail. (Thanks in advance!)
    If everyone along the route feels the same way you do then government wouldn’t need to be involved then would they?

Top Bottom