• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The lessons I've learned from this and similar threads are two-fold: 1) don't keep a gun and registration in the same place; and 2) keep a copy of State v. Washington, http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...3041001jsk.pdf in my car at all times. I'm sure it won't make any difference to most LEOs, but I'd love to have it recorded on his dashcam that I presented that case and my LTCH to him and he demanded to search me or my vehicle anyway - and/or seize my gun.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I was stopped on I-65 just north of Fort Wayne by a state trooper.
    I handed him my license,registration,and carry permit.He asked if I was carrying I said yes.Then asked if it was in a holster.I said yes.He then removed the strap from his pistol(did not take it out of the holster)and asked me to place mine on the roof of my car with out getting out of the car or removing it from the holster.I complied,and reached out my window placing it on the roof.

He then said thank you I will be right back.He returned (15-20 minutes later)with a speeding ticket(I was speeding a bit) and my pistol.He had taken every round out of the magazine and placed them in a plastic bag.He said I could reload the magazine after he left.

I guess I should mention my pull over in Columbus a few years ago(6-7 years ago).A female officer pulled me over for having a brake light out.I gave her my license and my carry permit.She asked if I was carrying I said yes.She said "I pulled you over to let you know you had a brake light out and you need to get that fixed.Thank you for letting me know you where carrying and giving me your permit up front.You have a nice day and get that light fixed". She did not ever take my license back to her car or ask for my fire arm.Total elapsed time from her lights turning on to me pulling away less than 2 minutes.So telling a police officer up front and giving them your permit does not always end in a hassle.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm still stunned by the LEO that commited an illegal search and seizure by opening the passenger door and breaking into the glove box..

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I've never been pulled over and had my sidearm taken from me, but I've pulled over many a person and taken many a firearm.

How many of those did you have PC or RS, or how many of those times did you disarm citizens with an LTCH without any cause? Handcuffs? Search the car? Oh, I know, "Officer Safety" right? ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The lessons I've learned from this and similar threads are two-fold:

There's only one lesson here and from prior LEO dealings:

If you don't want guns pointed at you or to be handcuffed at the side of the road, keep your mouth shut and don't volunteer jack.

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    About 2 years ago while on my own property loading up to go fishing the Clay Co. S.D. was paying a visit to the people next door, the female deputy crossed the property line to ask my wife and I some questions about the neighbors when she saw my 1911 IWB and asked if I had my ltch, I said dont need one on private property, she said she still needed to see it as she steped back and put her hand on her side arm, and I told her again that I dont need one on my property but if it will keep from having a shootout with you then ill show it but my gun stays right where its at. She said ok, looked then went away.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    About 2 years ago while on my own property loading up to go fishing the Clay Co. S.D. was paying a visit to the people next door, the female deputy crossed the property line to ask my wife and I some questions about the neighbors when she saw my 1911 IWB and asked if I had my ltch, I said dont need one on private property, she said she still needed to see it as she steped back and put her hand on her side arm, and I told her again that I dont need one on my property but if it will keep from having a shootout with you then ill show it but my gun stays right where its at. She said ok, looked then went away.

She demanded to see your LTCH, on your own property?? :facepalm:

I would have gone to jail, because I would have been a smart ass and said "I own a car, but I am not driving it right now, so I suppose you want my driver's license too?":rolleyes:

Top Bottom