• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justgettinby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Southeast
    O.K. i would like an honest report from those of you who have had their guns asked for by a police officer during a traffic stop, and what agency State, County, Local?

As a LEO I am concerned that maybe we are mis-training officers on dealing with Armed Citizens.

I really want honesty here.

Thanks.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have never been asked because if I get pulled over I don't tell them unless they ask if I have any weapons. Now if they do ask me for my firearm I will tell them I respectfully decline due to the fourth amendment. What will their response be? They will probably tell me to step out of the vehicle and disarm me any way or let it go. To be completely honest I would not physically resist the officer if he tries to disarm me despite my objection. I would only verbally object.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Impd....pulled over,handed licence &ltch over. Informed officer I was carrying. He asked me 2 hand it over slowly,handle towards him. It was late @ nite & I just wanted to get it over w as soon as possible so I did as he asked. They ran my gun,gave it back to me along w a handful bullets & sent me on my way.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    never 3 stops all west laf

my best friend 2 for 2 having gun takin, once given back in pieces, he must just look guilty or some thin, total bs.....

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Impd....pulled over,handed licence &ltch over. Informed officer I was carrying. He asked me 2 hand it over slowly,handle towards him. It was late @ nite & I just wanted to get it over w as soon as possible so I did as he asked. They ran my gun,gave it back to me along w a handful bullets & sent me on my way.

A handfull of bullets, what the hell is that all about? I swear one day when some stupid ass LEO takes someones weapon and shoots himself I am going to laugh my ass off, and hopefully there will be legislation enacted making the disarming of citizens a crime punishable by life in prison.

INGunGuy

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I was stopped many years ago... I told the LEO that I had LTCH and my gun was in my locked glove box where my registration was. I didn't want to be reaching into the glove box with a gun in there. He immediately got in a defensive posture (hand on the butt of his gun). He told me to put my hands on the steering wheel and to take one hand and hand him the keys to my car. I gave them to him, he came around to the passenger side, opened the door, about broke the lock on the glove box trying to open it. Took my gun out. Told me to find the registration then took my gun, registration and DL back to his car. Wrote me a ticket but never asked to see my LTCH.

I no longer carry my gun and registration in the same place.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i only had 1 confrontation with an leo, asked for my ltch and that was it, after that i got to finish pumping my gas

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I have only been pulled over 1 time while carrying. What can I say I don't break traffic laws. All the state trooper said was " Please keep it where it is."

acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    I was stopped many years ago... I told the LEO that I had LTCH and my gun was in my locked glove box where my registration was. I didn't want to be reaching into the glove box with a gun in there. He immediately got in a defensive posture (hand on the butt of his gun). He told me to put my hands on the steering wheel and to take one hand and hand him the keys to my car. I gave them to him, he came around to the passenger side, opened the door, about broke the lock on the glove box trying to open it. Took my gun out. Told me to find the registration then took my gun, registration and DL back to his car. Wrote me a ticket but never asked to see my LTCH.

I no longer carry my gun and registration in the same place.

i would have been lodging a formal complaint and asking to be reimbursed

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Most of the time I carry concealed. I was open carrying about a month ago when I got pulled over by a Johnson County Sheriff. He asked my my license and registration, and I knew when I reached for my license it's possible he'd see the gun on my hip.

I said "I have a license to carry a handgun and it's on my hip". His response - "just leave it right where it's at; I just need your license".

That was it. Easy and he gave me a warning as well.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    I have only been pulled over 1 time while carrying. What can I say I don't break traffic laws.

Not always true. I've been pulled over several times in my jeep while driving out in the country. They usually said it was because of a tail light out, which was bogus (once I jumped out and went to see. When it wasn't out, the officer said that it was out and that I needed to get it fixed. He then got in his car and left.), and once because the officer said "I seen a big 4x4 and thought it was some teenage kids out drinking and driving the county roads." Once he seen it was a late 20 something guy driving home from work, he said have a good evening.

Then there was the time that I was pulled over in the middle of nowhere while in the jeep because I didn't have a license plate light. My buddy had his 9mm clipped underneath of the passenger seat and wanted me to inform the officer (Warrick County Sheriffs Deputy) of it. It was the middle of summer and I had the top and doors off of the jeep. We had our hands up on the roll cage when he approached us. He asked for my license and registration. I informed him of the 9mm under the pass seat. He said ok, thanks for telling him. As I reached for the glove box, he asked "where's that firearm again?" "Under the pass seat." "Ok, hold on one second." Then he walked to the passenger side. My buddy told him exactly where it was at. The officer asked him to retrieve it and hand it to him, grip first and asked for his LTCH. After he had the 9mm, he then told me to get my registration. After a few minutes, he returned with my license, registration and a warning ticket for the license plate light. Then he handed the LTCH to my buddy, then the 9mm, then the magazine and said have a good evening.

As my buddy was driving home, in his jeep, from my place and he was pulled over by the same officer. The officer pulled up beside him and said "you leaving your buddy's house?" "Yep." "Ok, have a good evening."

Last edited:

Glock32j

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Danville IN
    LEO's need to be trained that if we have an LTCH and are carrying a gun that we don't need an a$$ chewing or lecture or even answer any of there questions on why we are carrying. About 5 yrs agowent to buddys house did what we were supposed to do and on my way home ISP pulled me over and blah blah blah. I finally had to tell him ur not my dad you dont need to be yelling at me about what a good reason to carry a firearm is. I think he didnt like when i told him "because i can" thought i was a smartass or something

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    been pulled over twice while carrying. first time was by a state trooper in pendelton. he told me and my buddy, who was also carrying, as long as we left our hands on the dash we would be ok.(i told him we were gun shopping so he asked if we had any guns on us:D) the second time was pulled over in fishers. apparently driving a crappy car in such a sophisticated town is a crime. his first question was if i had any weapons. He waited till backup got there and i got out of the car he pulled it out of my pocket unloaded it and set it on my trunk. he got upset that i wasn't who they were looking for and said i was good to go, loaded my gun locked it in my car and walked into work(i was pulled over after i was already parked in my parking spot).

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    O.K. i would like an honest report from those of you who have had their guns asked for by a police officer during a traffic stop, and what agency State, County, Local?

As a LEO I am concerned that maybe we are mis-training officers on dealing with Armed Citizens.

I really want honesty here.

Thanks.
    The OP is asking for people to post if it happened to them (or first hand knowledge I'm assuming), when and what department. I know we all have strong opinions about "They won't take my gun" etc.. but this really isn't on topic with what the OP is asking.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Recently, Lawrence PD stopped me for exceeding the speed limit. Actually, I saw him put the car in gear when I was apparently picked up by his radar, so I just pulled over in front of him. Officer approached the car, I had both hands on the steering wheel. DL and registration on the dash. Told him I was armed. Can't remember his exact reply, but the firearm was basically a non-issue.

LEOs are trained to identify and neutralize threats. Is there's too much emphasis now on everyone being treated as a threat?

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Every time I've been pulled over in Grant county, (I believe by sheriffs most of the time) I've had by firearm taken back to the officer's vehicle so he could run the serial number. When everything came back clean, he brought it back to me unloaded (the bullets in the plastic bag with my registration) and told me not to reload it until after he left. Happened to me 4 times, I think. Considering that it's happened EVERY time I was pulled over and informed the LEO, I assumed it was standard procedure.:dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom