• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    First, it would be interesting to see the actual wording of the proposed legislation.

Second, what you guys are discussing is mostly a horrible idea. Allowing vigilantes to be judge, jury, and executioner is just asking for bad stuff to happen.

If the governor thinks that local municipalities should be doing more, then he should propose legislation to force them to.

This would basically be trying to legalize what the media has tried to portray Rittenhouse.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Bag limit?
    Asking for a friend:cool:

Bob

It used to be 2 per day; 3 in possession.

Now, it's like coyotes and striped skunk.

Seriously, a mob attacking a facility in which I am present puts me and mine in fear of great bodily harm or imminent death. I'll stop shooting when I run out of ammo.....and I have lots of ammo.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This would basically be trying to legalize what the media has tried to portray Rittenhouse.

That'd be fine with me. He stepped up when the police wouldn't. This would not be a problem if we had a million more like him.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Since you expanded the definition of “property,” to a subjective ideal. I also find the shooting of people who do not subscribe to your vision of America, as problematic.

For now, I've decided that the hill I will die on is the one my house sits on, and have already decided the lines that cannot be crossed by rioters without lethal consequences. I am at peace with it

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would feel easier about ending a mob at my home as that is my castle and yes I will defend it regardless of the feels good dip weeds saying it is only property.
    Would be a bit more difficult doing this at a business but if I or mine were threatened then all bets are off the table.

But I do truly understand your concerns.

Destroying the source of income that feeds your family IS threatening your family. If lethal force is justified is debatable but like you when family is threatened all bets are off.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    First, it would be interesting to see the actual wording of the proposed legislation.

Second, what you guys are discussing is mostly a horrible idea. Allowing vigilantes to be judge, jury, and executioner is just asking for bad stuff to happen.

If the governor thinks that local municipalities should be doing more, then he should propose legislation to force them to.

Some people don't respond to social workers and only understand "bad" things happening. I doubt that any looter believes what they are doing is justified, they do it because up to this point there hasn't been a price to pay. When there is a price to pay then I guarantee the looting will cease.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Destroying the source of income that feeds your family IS threatening your family. If lethal force is justified is debatable but like you when family is threatened all bets are off.

This right here. I've been doing the same thing for 35 years. I've built it from the ground up. It's my only way to earn an income, and a big part of my retirement. People say insurance will cover it, but it will never restore me to whole, nor help recover the clients I would lose with a lengthy shutdown. If they come for my business ... well, I just hope they don't. I guess I could always print and hang a big poster saying

"No Nikes or Adidas on Premises"

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    A law to shoot anyone they “SUSPECT” of looting? And it doesn’t even have to be a business you have a contractual stake in? Uhhhhh, that seems problematic. But there is some segment of people that will be all for it.

I agree that that "sounds" pretty rough, but to avoid getting shot, I recommend not being in the area of the riots and looting. From what I have seen in the media, it is pretty obvious who is who.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If the property in question is America, then we all have a 'stake' in it and thus should support each other in defending it

If the property is here on Earth, we have a stake in; my Bulgaria friends have been looking for a vacation spot this year. :D

---- or ----

I didn't know Mr. Rittenhouse used teal text as well.

This right here. I've been doing the same thing for 35 years. I've built it from the ground up. It's my only way to earn an income, and a big part of my retirement. People say insurance will cover it, but it will never restore me to whole, nor help recover the clients I would lose with a lengthy shutdown. If they come for my business ... well, I just hope they don't. I guess I could always print and hang a big poster saying

"No Nikes or Adidas on Premises"

Good - I don't like crowds when I'm looting Florsheims.

As to the reality of this, after reading the article I see "draft legislation"... so it will be a while, if ever.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    As reported in that article, that cannot possibly be what he is proposing.

Is there a link to the actual language of the proposed law?

[ETA]

This is getting closer:

https://www.flgov.com/2020/09/21/go...d-looting-and-law-enforcement-protection-act/

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Combatting-Violence-Protection-Act.pdf

Where does the shooting people come in?

This is nice, but how do you make sure the Prosecutor actually follows through. I'm pretty sure a large chunk of this is already a law and just not being prosecuted

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    As reported in that article, that cannot possibly be what he is proposing.

Is there a link to the actual language of the proposed law?

[ETA]

This is getting closer:

https://www.flgov.com/2020/09/21/go...d-looting-and-law-enforcement-protection-act/

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Combatting-Violence-Protection-Act.pdf

Where does the shooting people come in?
    Apologies if I misled people. I just posted the news article and assumed it had some level of merit - I see that may not be the case.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Apologies if I misled people. I just posted the news article and assumed it had some level of merit - I see that may not be the case.

I don't blame you.

The media hardly ever gets legal matters correct...even when they are trying to. In this case, I imagine there is some sort of logical Jenga going on to stack up blocks to add up to "shoot rioters". Something like- you can defend yourself or others from the commission of X type of crime and now rioting may, in some theoretical circumstances, be considered something close to X type of crime, so yeah- legal to shoot people. It's not the absence of truth. It's the stretching of the law to somewhere it probably will never go to make a splash.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A member of the media may have misled the public? I would just be astounded if that was true. This would be a first.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Unfortunately, it's nothing new.

Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect from 2002:

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them. In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

— Michael Crichton

Top Bottom