Defending against dogs with lethal force?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Let's do the math, F=MV2

Weight of Buick Park Avenue=>3,800 pounds

Velocity=>IIRC speed limit on 4th street (I walked to and from work at courthouse from Vantage Point, 827-11 South 4th) is 30MPH where I was (just north of Miller Elementary where the train tracks used to be for my fellow Lafayette INGOers).

So . . . yeah, that's lot better than a .40S&W Black Talon bullet.
    Lmao. I briefly considered calculating the power factor of a 30 mph Buick, but I’m at work... I should probably be working.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you are carrying a gun, you SHOULD have slime, especially if you are around dogs.
    Yep. Everyone should be carrying less lethal tools, particularly an OC spray.

You're more likely to find your self in a situation where you need to bless someone (or something) with the hot sauce, then needing to deploy deadly force.

OC spray can put a hurt on someone, without injuring them. Yes, there is a difference. And the legal ramifications and resulting processes is likely to be vastly different than if you use deadly force.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

how to break up a dog fight. i probably wouldn't even try if it wasn't my dogs or someone close to me. i've had to break up a fight alone. it's scary and my heart was still racing hours later...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    First, a few long-time INGOers have already ruined my punch line for this, so I'm just not going to say it.

giphy.gif

Second, though, what holster is recommended for a Buick?

;)

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My mom and dad have several animals. One that they had was a goat. My mom has a daycare and the kids used to love to play with the goat. Late at night a couple of years ago my mom heard the goat making a screaming noise and dad went up to its pin with a 44 magnum.
    The goats pin was 6 ft chain link and a house made out of 1/2” plywood. The dog apparently rammed the backside until it could break through the plywood and get in. Dad shot the dog 3 before it finally let go and died.
    They called the sheriffs department which responded quickly. Took a statement. Told my dad he did everything right and left there to go down the road and tell the neighbors their dog was dead and if they wanted it to go collect it. They never did. I buried the goat and pitched the dog for coyote bait and that was that.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As a person who only wears shoes when required to. I dont see how not having shoes on is a factor.

You went to a persons aid. You helped stop an attack and yappy dog lives to yap another day. You and your new Mexican friend crushed it. Good job. I say put a 6pack on his porch. Thats the kind of man you want running your way if you are in trouble.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Not taking offense and I'm not looking for anyone to defend what I did.

Not knowing said woman or either dog, what I did was, in retrospect, a very, very bad move. I'm not a dog expert and I've been spoiled by my brother's two awesome dogs who bark and jump and scare people but they always are just wanting to meet a new dog friend.

I THOUGHT I was going out to break up dogs meeting with an overreacting owner.

Trust me, I won't make that mistake again. And pepper spray will be bought this week if it's in stock at the LGS.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    As a person who only wears shoes when required to. I dont see how not having shoes on is a factor.

You went to a persons aid. You helped stop an attack and yappy dog lives to yap another day. You and your new Mexican friend crushed it. Good job. I say put a 6pack on his porch. Thats the kind of man you want running your way if you are in trouble.
    I don't know anyone's names or where they live or if either dog is still alive. I'm letting it all go as lesson learned and I'm just gonna mind my own business and prep better for next time. Mentally and weapon-wise.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN

how to break up a dog fight. i probably wouldn't even try if it wasn't my dogs or someone close to me. i've had to break up a fight alone. it's scary and my heart was still racing hours later...
    GREAT link, thank you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    One slings a Buick, no holster carry.

Although my Park Avenue was like CBS (Close Buick Support), dog broke loose and charged me, sunken road with black cap toes, not going anywhere, draw was textbook, world began to become a paper towel tube, FRONTSIGHT!, BAM!

Wait, I didn't shoot . . . what the . . . sees dog rolling down hill. Maroon Park Avenue slides to stop. Orval and Beatrice in car, looks of terror on their faces. Dog stops rolling pops back up. Looks at me, looks at owner, "Don't shoot my dog, man", "Bad dog, go home!" Thank God, he did go home!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Although my Park Avenue was like CBS (Close Buick Support), dog broke loose and charged me, sunken road with black cap toes, not going anywhere, draw was textbook, world began to become a paper towel tube, FRONTSIGHT!, BAM!

Wait, I didn't shoot . . . what the . . . sees dog rolling down hill. Maroon Park Avenue slides to stop. Orval and Beatrice in car, looks of terror on their faces. Dog stops rolling pops back up. Looks at me, looks at owner, "Don't shoot my dog, man", "Bad dog, go home!" Thank God, he did go home!
    I've read this 4 times...what the hell happened?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Thoughts as to?

Defense of yourself? Same concerns as humans.

Defense of another dog? No. Don't.

I was attacked by a Rottweiler in a sunken road. I recommend a Buick Park Avenue. It did a far better job that my Glock M23 would have done.
    I'm guessing this falls under (legally speaking, not emotionally) a dog being property, not a human life that would otherwise justify the use of deadly force in self-defense (which mere property does not)?

And that is "legal position in a vacuum", absent any of the other circumstances - which, in this case, I think would tend to weigh even more against justification for use of deadly force in self-defense.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

A dog ran out in front of my jeep at a busy intersection, in front of a restaurant at lunchtime last summer. I hit the dog, felt it under my jeep. I was afraid to look. I got out, dog had run off. Then this trashy version of an obese Karen shows up and starts screeching at me that i need to find the owners and tell them, and that i need to call the police. When i asked why the police, she screamed that she saw me hit the dog, everyone saw me hit the dog, and it's the right thing to do. I was already upset, she wouldn't listen to me, just kept going on and on, until i finally told her i don't need her telling me what to do, and to shut up and call the cops herself. Evidently she thinks it's a crime to accidentally hit a dog.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Animals run out into traffic all the time, it's not worth your lives or other to avoid them if it puts you or others in danger.

Though I did scare the heck out of a trucker avoiding a deer while driving a Corvette...that things would have come right through my windshield.

Top Bottom