• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm not sure quite what to make of this season so far. With post season photos of 3 bucks over 5.5 and photos of a 4th late into muzzleloader season last year that likely survived, plus another 8-10 good younger bucks, several of which should have matured into shooters this year it would have been more than fair to say that anticipation was even higher than usual. Reality had other plans though with none of the 4 oldest bucks and only 4 of the younger ones turning up, only one of which spending any real amount of time on the property I hunt.

If anyone had told me before season that it would be a good acorn year(there's a lot on the neighboring property but virtually none where I hunt)and an abnormally early bean harvest combined with rain and warm weather that caused much of the waste grain to sprout, then die with the next frost eliminating most of the food on the property, my anticipation would have been substantially reduced. Yet, I've still managed to see 23 bucks, with 3-4 shooters and at least one deer on every hunt except 3. It's hard to be disappointed with a season like that even though it falls a bit short of what I anticipated prior to season.

With little food on the property, my most active late season buck from previous seasons missing and few shooters showing up on my trail cam, I can't say I have much optimism about the remainder of the season. However, it is kind of relaxing and liberating not having any expectations.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've seen fewer deer than the number of times we've hunted this year. We're well over 50% of our hunts ending without seeing a deer at all. Worst season for us by far for the past 8 years we've hunted/filmed as a team. We've seen one 3.5yr old, a couple of 2.5 and three or four 1.5. Haven't seen a shooter on camera or in person since season opened and certainly haven't seen enough does to make shooting one seem like a good idea. Feels like hunting the 80's again.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We've seen fewer deer than the number of times we've hunted this year. We're well over 50% of our hunts ending without seeing a deer at all. Worst season for us by far for the past 8 years we've hunted/filmed as a team. We've seen one 3.5yr old, a couple of 2.5 and three or four 1.5. Haven't seen a shooter on camera or in person since season opened and certainly haven't seen enough does to make shooting one seem like a good idea. Feels like hunting the 80's again.

Have heard much the same from several in different areas of Indiana.

I need to see if I can find the DNR harvest data to see how data compares.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    planned on going out this morning. got up. got ready. went out to start the car and...nothing. wouldnt do anything at all. got back into sweats and made some coffee. just went out to check it again and the damn thing turned over perfectly. too late to make the drive and get in the stand. guess it wasnt meant to be to today. ill go after geese with some buddies this afternoon and try to get in the stand tomorrow morning. i passed on a handful of small does and a six point in early archery and im regretting that now. i know the saying, "dont pass up anything on the first day, you would be happy with on the last day" but damn if i didnt ignore that and am sitting here with a mostly empty game freezer and the weather getting colder every morning. lots of time left for me to get some meat but the older i get, the more id like to be done with deer season before december. congrats to all those already tagged out and good luck to anyone still grinding it out.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    I started deer hunting for my first time this year at age 34, fiance's grandfather owns 80 acres of farmland and woods so it was a no brainer. Took a small doe on opening day for firearms and a good sized spike buck with a broken antler on last day of firearms. I saw a few larger bucks and more doe than I can count throughout firearms season. Next year will be even better with more preparation and better deer stand/blind locations.

The '42 Husqvarna M38 in 6.5x55 did great, both kills were fairly close, 30 yards and under. Walked up on the doe just inside the treeline after following it across a field. Called the buck in with a doe bleat from a tree stand, came jogging up almost underneath me.

Still have a doe tag to fill, might go out for special antlerless season Dec. 26

Attachments

• 20201205_145431.jpg
      20201205_145431.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 34
    • 20201205_145203.jpg
      20201205_145203.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 40
    • 20201205_150425.jpg
      20201205_150425.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 28

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well today was day 35 in the woods for me. Muscatatuck. Took a doe at 0930. This is my 4th trip there over the years. I have harvested 3 does from there. Im yet to see a buck in the place. I had buck sign everywhere. One scrape had so many deer visit it, the scrape looked like it was in a 10' circle of mud. I always hear of the giants but just have never seen them in there. Hopefully my camper landing gear gets fixed this week, so I can hit the woods again. Also Im catching flack from the wife that the kids are saying Im never around right now.

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Congratulations on starting and successfully harvesting your deer. Lot's of great information on the web. Good luck.

I started deer hunting for my first time this year at age 34, fiance's grandfather owns 80 acres of farmland and woods so it was a no brainer. Took a small doe on opening day for firearms and a good sized spike buck with a broken antler on last day of firearms. I saw a few larger bucks and more doe than I can count throughout firearms season. Next year will be even better with more preparation and better deer stand/blind locations.

The '42 Husqvarna M38 in 6.5x55 did great, both kills were fairly close, 30 yards and under. Walked up on the doe just inside the treeline after following it across a field. Called the buck in with a doe bleat from a tree stand, came jogging up almost underneath me.

Still have a doe tag to fill, might go out for special antlerless season Dec. 26

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Congrats on a great first season!

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Late to the party. Couldn't bow hunt this year (old man shoulder issue), took a nice doe during gun season at a buddy's farm in Steuben County using a Ruger Am. Predator in 6.5 Creed. DRT at 140 yrds. Meat in the freezer.

Planning to muzzleload hunt for the first time this year. Looking forward to getting back in the woods. Good luck to all those headed out for the end of the season.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    Appreciate it fellas, I've always wanted to hunt but never seemed able to find the time or place, 2020 just finally worked out for me.

Top Bottom