• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have seen maybe 10 deer all season with no shot opportunities. My usual spots that produce are pretty bare this year. I don't know if the Blue Tongue from last year it my area harder than others, but we are not seeing very many deer at all this year. I can still hunt the last 4 days of the muzzleloader season and the last 4 days of the antlerless season, so hopefully I will get one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have seen maybe 10 deer all season with no shot opportunities. My usual spots that produce are pretty bare this year. I don't know if the Blue Tongue from last year it my area harder than others, but we are not seeing very many deer at all this year. I can still hunt the last 4 days of the muzzleloader season and the last 4 days of the antlerless season, so hopefully I will get one.

Same in SW Owen Co

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Maybe Antlerless season in areas with low deer population is part of the problem. If your not seeing much do you think it’s wise to kill a doe.

I've not killed a doe since the early 90's in Texas. I would if I felt it would be beneficial or at least of little to no impact on the herd as I'd love to have the meat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've not killed a doe since the early 90's in Texas. I would if I felt it would be beneficial or at least of little to no impact on the herd as I'd love to have the meat.

Does one (buck or doe) really have more of an impact than the other though? I mean it does take two to "tango" so to speak. ;) And paraphrasing Yul Brenner in "The King and I"... "A bee is meant to go from flower to flower. A flower does not go from bee to bee to bee." :):

I watch "Swamp People" a lot and they take the opposite view - that eliminating a big bull gator does more to reduce breeding than eliminating females.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Deer don't pair up to mate.
    You kill a buck, that's one deer.
    You kill a doe, and you kill her and all her would be offspring.

You kill that buck, another one will breed the does.

2nd rut is now or maybe almost done.
    Does not bred the first go around, would be now, along with the doe fawns that are coming into maturity.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    QDM says better bucks do the breeding the closer the buck to doe ratio gets to 1 to 1.

If you have lots of does, by all means, take the surplus.

You gotta think about what you and those around you are doing.

Eating tag soup is not a sin.

Was just invited for a late antlerless in another county, where there are reportedly plenty of does.

See what happens.

Take the old pretty #1 in .280 rem. Grocery shop w class.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have plenty of does in my neck of the woods. I killed one in bow, my boy shot one, could probably get two more and be ok. Here in about a month the bottoms below my house fill up with deer. You see on average 60 a night .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My close to home spot does NOT have the doe numbers. Never has had enough to justify a bonus number of 2.
    IMHO 1 doe is enough, be it bow, mz or bonus.
    But people keep shooting what few are around and it's less deer yr after yr. Steady decline.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I was camping in the HNF Charles C. Deam Wilderness December 10/11. I believe this is muzzleloader season, right? I heard four shots fired in about 45 seconds. Are there ML rifles that can be reloaded and fired that quick? Maybe cap and ball revolver was fired?

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I was camping in the HNF Charles C. Deam Wilderness December 10/11. I believe this is muzzleloader season, right? I heard four shots fired in about 45 seconds. Are there ML rifles that can be reloaded and fired that quick? Maybe cap and ball revolver was fired?
    Or a squirrel hunter,or a rabbit hunter,or Jerry Miculek took up muzzleloading...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    ML Doe.jpeg

Good day in the woods.... Venison for a buddy that cannot get out this season because he's taking care of his elderly mother.

Last edited:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My dad took this guy yesterday on our property in VA.
    MsZ39RM.jpg

GzJrgG6.jpg

Top Bottom