• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Hoping to take my first white tail 10-1 through 10-3. Any fair priced processors between Fishers/ Noblesville and Frankton where I hunt? I don't mind skinning/cleaning at my home after the kill, but won't be butt hurt if I drop something off and pickup processed meat. Any recommendations? Possibly interested especially for those who do mounting also in case I get a trophy rack. Only interested in those who can process the meat. Worst case scenario, I'll clean in my back yard and make a rattler bag, but don't want to drop off anywhere that won't processes and use the meat.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Archers is about your only choice around ham co.

Warning: If you shoot one in the evening, be prepared to do it yourself at home that night. By the time You get em gutted, in the truck, and drive..... the butchers are always closed haha.
    It's usually still 80 degrees at Oct 1 so the meat goes bad very quickly.

Other option is buy $40 or so worth of ice, fill up Deers chest, and wrap in tarp until the am.

Watch some vids on how to quarter one out so you can at least get it in the freezer quickly, and process at a later date.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Seconds on Maddie Moo's. Will custom cut cape out for mounting. Can get it in summer sausage or sticks ect.
    I think I have been taking deer to them since 1983-4. They are open late during season. Normally have a raffle ect. I think the last few raffles were for hog hunts in TN.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Awesome, thanks guys! There is an Archers here in Fishers not 10 minutes from my house, perfect.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Awesome, thanks guys! There is an Archers here in Fishers not 10 minutes from my house, perfect.

I don't know if Archers in Fishers is ran like Archers in Greenwood but if so I would caution you to research some more. I took a young doe to them one year and got back enough meat to account for two deer or a large buck. I commented about how this could not possibly be the deer I brought in and was told that depending on how busy they are you might not get back your specific deer. That meat turned out to be somewhat chewy.

I like to know that I am getting back the deer that I shot. I try and make quick clean shots so the deer doesn't travel far and I can have it field dressed and cooling right away. I am very careful to not puncture the guts or bladder. I don't personally want some other guys gut shot deer.

I live in a subdivision in Greenwood area so for me doing it at home is not an option. I found an awesome processor around the area I hunt but have to drive a little further than normal. It is well worth it when I cook up the good stuff.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    If you plan on killing more deer in the future buy a good meat grinder and a vacuum sealer and do it yourself. You will save a lot of money in the future if you do.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Marshes is great. I don't go to archers because they freeze and cut them with a band saw if you have them do steaks or roast. Cutting deer bone especially with a saw is a no no and they should know better.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not to pile on, but Archer's was terrible when I took my two in there several years ago. I KNOW I didn't get my deer back, the cuts were not what o ordered, and they were very expensive. I bought a pro-quality vacuum dealer and a huge Coleman cooler and have never looked back. Terrific quality, and I get the satisfaction of doing the whole process front to back. Takes me about an hour to get the deer broken down and into the cooler and then about three for my wife and I to package it. I have left the meat in the cooler with 40# of ice and the drain plug open for up to four days with absolutely no issue.

If you don't want to do ALL the work, the big coolers will easily hold a quartered deer so you have time to get it to a great processor.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Bump for more info.

Archers Fishers location is closing it's doors permanently on Saturday. That real estate has to be worth more than the businesses. I wonder if the city wants that parcel and has something to do with this closure?

The Greenwood store remains open.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Bump for more info.

Archers Fishers location is closing it's doors permanently on Saturday. That real estate has to be worth more than the businesses. I wonder if the city wants that parcel and has something to do with this closure?

The Greenwood store remains open.

Ya, I saw that. Steering clear anyways after reading. I think I'll plan on processing myself. Have a chest freezer already, might as well invest in processing equipment than pay!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Marshes is great. I don't go to archers because they freeze and cut them with a band saw if you have them do steaks or roast. Cutting deer bone especially with a saw is a no no and they should know better.
    Of curiosity, why is it a no no? I avoid it to keep nasty tasting bone dust out of the meat, but didn't know if there is a pathogen risk as well. Thx.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ya, I saw that. Steering clear anyways after reading. I think I'll plan on processing myself. Have a chest freezer already, might as well invest in processing equipment than pay!

That is the rout I went and never looked back. We had one deer done at Archer's and it was the worst deer I ever had and never could find the loins.

As for processing it is not hard and you end up with "Your Deer". The problem I have with processors is the not "Knowing" you get your deer back. It is also my understanding that the ground is all done at once with everyone elses deer then split up. I take huge pride in making fast clean kills to reduce stress in the deer that affect the taste.

Not knowing how many deer you are planning on doing a year will dictate how far down the processing rabbit hole you want to go. Bare minimum would be a vacuum sealer. If you are planning on doing your own grind there are lots of options but remember you get what you pay for here. I store my grind in the white grind bags you can get just about anywhere (don't waste you time and $ trying to vacuum seal grind.)

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...MIgtWUpJ2O1gIVCi5pCh0ROAWUEAQYASABEgKfMfD_BwE

This is the unit I have with a 1hp electric motor. We did 50lb of grind last year and it took longer to clean the unit than it did to grind the deer (great grind also)!! That being said if you are uneasy with power tools, chainsaws, or other large dangerous power tools this is NOT the unit for you! This thing even makes me a little uncomfortable....I joke you could stick a hoof in it and it would eat the entire deer!!!

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I don't know if Archers in Fishers is ran like Archers in Greenwood but if so I would caution you to research some more. I took a young doe to them one year and got back enough meat to account for two deer or a large buck. I commented about how this could not possibly be the deer I brought in and was told that depending on how busy they are you might not get back your specific deer. That meat turned out to be somewhat chewy.

I like to know that I am getting back the deer that I shot. I try and make quick clean shots so the deer doesn't travel far and I can have it field dressed and cooling right away. I am very careful to not puncture the guts or bladder. I don't personally want some other guys gut shot deer.

I live in a subdivision in Greenwood area so for me doing it at home is not an option. I found an awesome processor around the area I hunt but have to drive a little further than normal. It is well worth it when I cook up the good stuff.

I can somewhat back this...I took a large buck and got lots of meat to include to two sets of ribs and one package marked catfish? I haven't tried that one. and they lost the hide that they said they would keep. so yeah there's that.

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have processed a number of deer at home. Had some interesting conversations with people walking by in the neighborhood with a half cut up deer hanging in the garage. Never used anything other than a knife ( would use a saw to cut up the carcus after de-boning the entire deer). Properly wrapped and and a good freezer and there is no need for vacuum sealing, assuming you will consume the deer before the next season.

Steve Rinella, has a show called MeatEater and devotes an episode (season 6, episode 6 and is on Netflix) to cutting up a deer. It is well done and shows just how easy it is.

Top Bottom