• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How many of you up there in Canadahstan have started mowing yet? I think my first mow was a couple weeks ago. I've mowed twice more since.
    I have. I'll be mowing again either tomorrow or Saturday after I get done putting down the load of mulch that's being delivered today. Of course I won't be able to start spreading the mulch as early as I'd like because, you know... it's dark.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There must be a lot of lawn-mowing happening in March... :rolleyes:
    I mean, the same applies in the summer months. If you can get another lawn or two in after DST hits, you can get several more in on a day in late June. the extra hour of daylight is relative to the time after work and before dusk.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have. I'll be mowing again either tomorrow or Saturday after I get done putting down the load of mulch that's being delivered today. Of course I won't be able to start spreading the mulch as early as I'd like because, you know... it's dark.
    Well. Sucks for you odd morning people. :):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't want to have to drag my tractor around. But. If you want to pay for gas, wear and tear on the truck and trailer to get it to wherever you live, and diesel for the tractor, fine. But you better have a big enough lawn to get through an hour or so podcast to make it worthwhile.
    Oh, it takes more than an hour. I already have a tractor with a 6' light duty mowing deck. No need for yours :):

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Still likely not dew, unless you're talking about morning twilight. There may also be evaporation from recent rain or lawn watering. But the air temperature, generally speaking, does not approach the dew point until early morning. The earth is radiating too much latent heat during/through evening twilight for ambient air temperature to drop enough to approach the dew point. There are, again, certainly localized edge cases. (And I'm guessing those would also often be associated with foggy conditions.)
    As much as I respect all your big brain knowledge, this just isn’t true.
    Whatever book you read that from, use it to kindle a fire outside and then go for a walk in your yard shortly after dark.
    Your shoes will be wet.

As a guy that basically lives outside…I mean I can’t even believe I have to try to explain this…the dew falls almost every single night. About darkish.

My shoes will be wet about dark all summer long.

We have to stop cutting beans in the fall when the dew falls and the stems and pods get too tough, nearly every night.
    Once in a while there is an exception with a combination of a strong wind and high chance of rain the following day, and we can run til midnight, very rarely later.

My mower blades will be less effective about dark as I insist that there most certainly enough nautical twilight to finish this job, d****t!

I don’t live anywhere near where any lawns are getting watered (anyway, we have ‘yards’, not ‘lawns’) and I’m not talking about recent rains. I’m talking about basically every night.

Ok fun fact, if you walk out in the morning and there’s no dew, that means there’s a good chance of rain that day or evening.

Growing up I just thought that was part of everyone’s basic knowledge base.

Throw that book away.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Whatever book you read that from, use it to kindle a fire outside and then go for a walk in your yard shortly after dark.
    Your shoes will be wet.

As a guy that basically lives outside…I mean I can’t even believe I have to try to explain this…the dew falls almost every single night. About darkish.

We have to stop cutting beans in the fall when the dew falls and the stems and pods get too tough, nearly every night.
    Once in a while there is an exception with a combination of a strong wind and high chance of rain the following day, and we can run til midnight, very rarely later.

My mower blades will be less effective about dark as I insist that there most certainly enough nautical twilight to finish this job, d****t!

I don’t live anywhere near where any lawns are getting watered (anyway, we have ‘yards’, not ‘lawns’) and I’m not talking about recent rains. I’m talking about basically every night.

Ok fun fact, if you walk out in the morning and there’s no dew, that means there’s a good chance of rain that day or evening.

Throw that book away.
    There are book smarts and street smarts (real life)...

This has been a great example of each.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Your shoes will be wet.

Throw that book away.
    I dunno about every night. On summer nights, especially early summer when the dew points don't get much above 60, I really don't notice it much. But when I'm mowing later in the evening and I see the tractor wheels looking wet, I know it's time to quit. The less often I have to sharpen the blades, the better.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Like virtually everyone, my schedule was loosely based around my employer's business hours, my wife's employer business hours, my doctor's business hours, activities we wanted to participate in, etc.

Changing all those collective schedules would be an unneeded nightmare.

Far easier to get a group of politicians to order clocks to be changed twice a year.
    I dont know about you, but I prefer to keep politicians out of as much of my life as possible. When we start depending on them to tell us what time it is, its no wonder we have the amount of overreach we complain about.

“I dont want the government to be so big.”

“I want the government to tell me what time it is.”

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Your shoes will be wet.
    That doesn't make it dew. Dew is condensation from the air. There are other, ample sources of moisture, which I already stated: likely, from the ground and grass, not from the air.

I never claimed that the grass wouldn't be wet; just that it wasn't dew. A distinction without a difference? Perhaps.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I dont know about you, but I prefer to keep politicians out of as much of my life as possible. When we start depending on them to tell us what time it is, its no wonder we have the amount of overreach we complain about.

Then you should use a sundial. Because ANY time shown on a clock is the government telling you the time. So there is no other option that unifies the world. How would one know when to go to work? When to make a business call? When the airplane was taking off? When the pizza place closed? If everyone has their own time, time that may vary from minutes to hours and more, how would you ever coordinate anything without the standardization of time?

Then, who should set time? Corporations? The best choice I see is representative government but I am open to suggestions. BTW, no one makes anyone follow government time, but if you want to participate in society one will have to. I hear tell that a cabin way up in the woods is a nice place to get away from time…

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Then you should use a sundial. Because ANY time shown on a clock is the government telling you the time. So there is no other option that unifies the world. How would one know when to go to work? When to make a business call? When the airplane was taking off? When the pizza place closed? If everyone has their own time, time that may vary from minutes to hours and more, how would you ever coordinate anything without the standardization of time?

Then, who should set time? Corporations? The best choice I see is representative government but I am open to suggestions. BTW, no one makes anyone follow government time, but if you want to participate in society one will have to. I hear tell that a cabin way up in the woods is a nice place to get away from time…
    Thats an awful lot of message for someone making a simple statement that they want government involved in less of our lives.

I dont think we need the government to tell us it is 1 oclock. I think the world used time well before the government became involved in telling us what time it was.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That doesn't make it dew. Dew is condensation from the air. There are other, ample sources of moisture, which I already stated: likely, from the ground and grass, not from the air.

I never claimed that the grass wouldn't be wet; just that it wasn't dew. A distinction without a difference? Perhaps.
    How does a bean pod 3 feet up in the air get wet in October, between 7:30 and 9 every night? That’s not from the ground.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I generally agree that the government needs to stay out of people’s lives to the extent that there isn’t a legitimate government interest. Keeping a consistent time system seems like a legitimate function. There’s not a law that says you have to keep the same time. You can set your clocks to whatever you want, and if you can function in society like that, more power to you. Government is saying this is the official time. And if you want, I suppose you can take it or leave it.

Top Bottom