• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What you're describing is best aligned with the bear chronotype (7-8am wake-up, 10-11pm bedtime), which accounts for about half of the population. I'm a lion (early riser: 6-7am wake-up, 9-10pm bedtime), which accounts for 15% of the population. Others are wolves (night owls), also about 15% of the population.
    I get up between 3 and 4 a.m. and go to bed by 8 p.m.. What kind of animal is that? :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I highly recommend reading "The Power of When" by Dr. Michael Breus. There is an actual difference in genetic chronotype. What you're describing is best aligned with the bear chronotype (7-8am wake-up, 10-11pm bedtime), which accounts for about half of the population. I'm a lion (early riser: 6-7am wake-up, 9-10pm bedtime), which accounts for 15% of the population. Others are wolves (night owls), also about 15% of the population. Then there are the dolphins (light sleepers/insomniacs, who fall asleep late and wake up early).

Now, to be clear, I have no problem with society establishing normal schedules around the bears, who account for around/just over half the population. What I have a problem with is the dismissiveness from some here, when merely pointing out that such schedule doesn't work for everyone and in fact causes real, observable problems for the other half of the population who would be better-served operating under a different schedule.

As a lion, being shifted essentially two time zones forward from solar time in the middle of summer, due to DST, has a significant impact. Wolves likely love it.

I typically wake up like a lion then. But I don’t typically go to bed until after 11pm. Sometimes much later. I get on average 6 hours sleep. And that works for me.

I look at it like this. You are your own responsibility. You do you. Don’t expect that I must sympathize with you. This whole line of conversation happened because you took offense to me saying, “who cares?” I mean, how dare I not wince for your pain. But. I doubt that my lack of Karens caused you any actual harm. Whatever harm you feel is just your perception.

I don’t like time change either. I think I’d rather do away with dst altogether, notwithstanding my preference, than go on clock flipping. Clock flipping advocates secretly worship Satin. Yes. I meant to spell it that way. This isn’t a serious post. Except the bit about reserving the right not to care. I’m pretty serious about spending my karens wisely.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One of my 1st World problems is that I can't tolerate commercials, neither on TV nor the radio. Satellite radio takes care of the radio part of that issue and obviates the need to manually change the clock in my car. Most importantly, though, is that it's the only way to listen to the blues on the radio while driving.
    I’m old fashioned. I still buy music for my iphone and listen to that. XM radio is too $pendi for me.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I’m old fashioned. I still buy music for my iphone and listen to that. XM radio is too $pendi for me.
    Sign up for a cheap trial, then call to cancel as the expiration date approaches. Tell the person with the heavy Eastern European accent that full price ( whatever that is now) isn't worth it because you don't drive that much anymore, yadda yadda yadda. It's not long before the reverse bidding comes down to a reasonable price. It's up a buck to $6/month, and I have to go through charade every year, but still worth it. Eventually, they will grow tired of me and stop offering the cheap subscription, and at that point, I will cancel.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sign up for a cheap trial, then call to cancel as the expiration date approaches. Tell the person with the heavy Eastern European accent that full price ( whatever that is now) isn't worth it because you don't drive that much anymore, yadda yadda yadda. It's not long before the reverse bidding comes down to a reasonable price. It's up a buck to $6/month, and I have to go through charade every year, but still worth it. Eventually, they will grow tired of me and stop offering the cheap subscription, and at that point, I will cancel.
    I did that the first time the trial expired. Told them it wasn’t worth it. They offered it for a reasonable price. Next year it was the same thing. But the year after that I told them I wanted to cancel because it was too expensive they said, okay. So that was that. That was probably arround 2015.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I did that the first time the trial expired. Told them it wasn’t worth it. They offered it for a reasonable price. Next year it was the same thing. But the year after that I told them I wanted to cancel because it was too expensive they said, okay. So that was that. That was probably arround 2015.
    That sucks, Jamil. I've been doing the tapdance for 7 years now; maybe my last name makes them think that I am from the Mother Land.

Definitely not worth full price.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I typically wake up like a lion then. But I don’t typically go to bed until after 11pm. Sometimes much later. I get on average 6 hours sleep. And that works for me.
    That more aligns with a Dolphin, probably.

I look at it like this. You are your own responsibility. You do you. Don’t expect that I must sympathize with you. This whole line of conversation happened because you took offense to me saying, “who cares?” I mean, how dare I not wince for your pain. But. I doubt that my lack of Karens caused you any actual harm. Whatever harm you feel is just your perception.
    I don't think anyone here is asking for sympathy; simply acknowledgement of differences.

I don’t like time change either. I think I’d rather do away with dst altogether, notwithstanding my preference, than go on clock flipping. Clock flipping advocates secretly worship Satin. Yes. I meant to spell it that way. This isn’t a serious post. Except the bit about reserving the right not to care. I’m pretty serious about spending my karens wisely.
    And therein lies the problem. Everyone here can at least respect one another, while not taking the overall topic very seriously.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I got in early enough, when XM offered a lifetime subscription for like $400. Now, I'm grandfathered in to SiriusXM with that same, lifetime subscription.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What we need here is a quantitative method to detect and measure caring. This way we could determine who cares and who doesn't care and accurately measure who cares less.
    Then of course we would need a name for units of caring, probably something other than s**** because people have been using that unit in a non-quantitative way for too long. Maybe something like "karens" and of course "millikarens" and "microkarens" as the method of detection gets more and more precise.
    I propose F's. I'm often running low on F's myself

RS2651_P064-00030.jpg

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Do the same for my wife's subscription. Like Jamil, I don't personally care... about SiriusXM... but wife likes it, so I call and negotiate it every year.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m over that crap. Get Apple Music or Spotify and ONLY listen to exactly what you want to for a reasonable monthly fee. Fun side fact, I have thousands of songs on my phone, no connection needed, we get together with friends and they say, “hook your phone up to my system and play xxxxx playlist”. (Must have popular playlists.).

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    One of my 1st World problems is that I can't tolerate commercials, neither on TV nor the radio. Satellite radio takes care of the radio part of that issue and obviates the need to manually change the clock in my car. Most importantly, though, is that it's the only way to listen to the blues on the radio while driving.
    Agree completely. I don't watch any live TV, I record everything I watch and use the skip button for commercials. I wish more TV was like NHL hockey games - all of their TV time outs for commercials are two minutes long. That means four quick button pushes and I am back to the game. Most other TV commercial breaks are variable and you have to guess more.
    For radio I tried Sirius but didn't like it. I use an Astell & Kern player with a huge capacity and never have to tolerate commercials and has lots of blues on it. The only exception is I like to listen to live baseball games at the cabin.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That sucks, Jamil. I've been doing the tapdance for 7 years now; maybe my last name makes them think that I am from the Mother Land.

Lol. Maybe. I don’t recall the accent of the rep. Maybe the rep had not been trained properly and accidentally did what I asked.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I always just tell them I'm reviewing my subscriptions and depending on their cost and what they have to offer may cancel or may continue. I don't remember having to ask for Customer Retention specifically with Sirius. They seem to be willing to negotiate. This year I rejected there initial offer and the second "offer" and said I was looking for something in line with previous year or less and magically they were able to offer that. Did the same in years past, but don't remember it taking 2 offers to get there.

Was a 10 minute or less call.

Top Bottom