• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    At our range session today, my daughter told me shed like to have her own gun. thinks a handgun is themost practical thing for her right now.

Shei is a very responsible 19 YO IU sophomore. Lives off campus sharing an apartment with 4 other girls, all are active ina campus bible study group. She is a highly regarded (by the upperclassmen and cadre) second year AROTC cadet, Ranger Challenge team member, etc. I've had her out shooting with an AR IN 223, and .22 rifles. She's also shot .22 handguns and .40's and .45 ACP.

Thoughts on a handgun for her?

Also, what would be a good gun shop or dealer to take her to? Willing to travel, especially if there's a knowledgeable female LE female-friendly dealer. Obviously there's a daddy/daughter date coming up to go to a show or shop.

Come on INGO ladies! Help a brother out - and gain a new sister!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    #1 LET HER CHOOSE

The best thing you can do is introduce her to as many pistols as possible. Let her feel them and see what she likes and is comfortable with

#2 LET HER TRY BEFORE BUYING IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

Ladies are a little more picky than men, especially with firearms. Just because she likes the way a gun feels doesn't mean she will like the way it shoots/recoils. In my LONG process of finding my wife an every day carry pistol I learned this VERY quickly.

#3 PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

If a gun is to be used for defensive purposes then you must be accurate with it. To get accurate it takes practice/training. To maintain proficiency, this practice must continue. Therefore you will fire a lot of rounds.

In my experience, I consider these to be 3 of the most important factors in helping people choose firearms. My typical recommendations for model specific would be to have her look at a Glock 19, 1911, and a Kahr 9mm. Considering point #3 I would highly recommend something in a 9mm. This of course is assuming that the gun's purpose is for defense. If it's simply for target shooting a 22 can be shot FAR more for FAR LESS money. Also, the 9mm is most of the time a comfortable level of recoil for most women and going larger than that is really a case by case situation. Many like 1911s even if they are 45, but not many are fond of the muzzle climb of a .40

The main reason I suggest these three is because they seem to be the most preferred firearm for women IME. They seem to be a more comfortable fit, manage recoil better, and have a relatively short "grip to trigger radius" which fits their hands better. Hope this helps.

knoxace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    bought my wife (with small hands ) a ruger lcp today at jerrys in Rensselear . She wanted a smaller carry . I paid 339 with laser . It is a very good firearm . If a 380 is a little small try the LC9 .
    You and her need to think about what she will use it for . My wife cc so she wanted one that she can cc even in the summer . Its small and fits in any pocket .

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    As far as a dealer. Plainfield Shooting Supply or Bradis would be places to go with good prices.

Get her a gun that fits her hand. She should be able to get her whole hand on the gun and not be dangling off the stock. I think a four inch barrel is a minimum for have enough barrel and sight radius that she can shoot accurately out to 25 yards.

Get a caliber that is big enough to get the job done in a tense social setting, and yet one that she can handle. If recoil is too much she won't practice and practice needs to happen.

If you have the ability to try a few things before you can buy that would be best. I seriously doubt that a snub nosed revolver that many guns store would recommend is going to be the ticket.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    See if there is an INGO Meet & Shoot near you. Many members will let you (her) try out their firearms. Trying them out is the best way.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    At our range session today, my daughter told me shed like to have her own gun. thinks a handgun is themost practical thing for her right now.

Shei is a very responsible 19 YO IU sophomore. Lives off campus sharing an apartment with 4 other girls, all are active ina campus bible study group. She is a highly regarded (by the upperclassmen and cadre) second year AROTC cadet, Ranger Challenge team member, etc. I've had her out shooting with an AR IN 223, and .22 rifles. She's also shot .22 handguns and .40's and .45 ACP.

Thoughts on a handgun for her?

Also, what would be a good gun shop or dealer to take her to? Willing to travel, especially if there's a knowledgeable female LE female-friendly dealer. Obviously there's a daddy/daughter date coming up to go to a show or shop.

Come on INGO ladies! Help a brother out - and gain a new sister!

Take her to Tomlinson's in Churubusco. Tomlinsons Shooting Supplies INC

Talk to JetGirl. INGunOwners - View Profile: JetGirl

Good inventory on hand.Reasonable prices. Honest. In my experience. Great service. JetGirl knows weapons and is very willing to help.

:twocents:

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    My 17 y/o daughter finally tried my ruger P95 and actually liked it. Shot well with it, (her very first time shooting something that went bang,) and enjoys shooting with her daddy. Again Plainfield shooting and Bradis. Let her try, and let her decide what she wants, after all, and handgun for her should fit her, not you.

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I'm not a heck of a lot older than your daughter. I really like Glocks for carry/self defense. They're pretty much idiot proof. I know me, I don't want to have to mess around with safeties and whatnot if I'm in a situation where I'm bringing a gun into play. I want to be able to point and shoot.

Yes, training would overcome trouble with safeties and whatnot, but the bottom line is I really just don't want to put THAT much effort into it. Yes, I can figure out how to operate pretty much anything I pick up. However, I just don't want to have to mess with it in a bad situation.

Glocks fit my small hands well and they're reliable enough to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you don't mind a drive to Indianapolis, check out Indy Trading Post on the southside. They are a site advertiser and have a great rental program! You can rent one gun for a half hour for $9.95 including range time, you just have to buy their ammo. You can also rent as many guns as you like for just $25! And the best part... If you rent a gun, then purchase one (doesn't have to be the one you rented), they will take your rental rate off of the purchase price! I work there part time and would be happy to show your daughter a great selection of reasonably priced guns!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What does SHE like? Not just what she has experience with. I've shot a S&W .500 or whatever that hand cannon is called. I don't exactly want one. What caliber?

Will she be carrying or just keeping it in the domicile? If she's not planning on carrying concealability (apparently my Mac doesn't like that word) becomes moot and she has a lot more options.

Warsaw is pretty far up there, but if in your travels down to Bloomington, you happen to find yourself with a fair bit of extra time, I highly recommend Bradis (and SR67 will still get you to Martinsville to hit 37 if that's the route you take). I've been shopping there 10 years, never once have I walked out disappointed in customer service. Not once. (Plainfield is the exact opposite, if you are not part of the clique, er, I mean crew, you will receive less than spectacular customer service. It's an option once you have decided on a firearm and it's come down to price shopping, but don't waste your time or gas heading out that way to try things out. I've never met a customer service staff that so badly didn't want my business.)

As for suggestions: I like the Glocks for all the reasons Magolin outlined. I just want to have to pull the trigger if it comes to that, not dick around with a bunch of mechanical switches and buttons. And Glocks, thankfully, fit my hand wonderfully. I also like striker-fired for defense, but that's because I don't like DA/SA firearms all that well.

But there's also the XD family, M&P brand, Sigs, and if you really love her, H&K. :D

If you ever make it down this way, shoot me a PM. I've got a fair variety and would be more than happy to make some range time to let her try them out.

Last edited:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    PSS is a good spot as stated before, very friendly and helpful. I have to give shout out to bradis, i think there are two women that work there if she more comfortable communicating with a women. my wife has bought 2 guns from bradis and both times they treated her with respect and ansered all questions, also took the time to understand what she was using it for without actually trying to SELL her something, if u understand what i mean.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As far as a dealer. Plainfield Shooting Supply or Bradis would be places to go with good prices.

Get her a gun that fits her hand. She should be able to get her whole hand on the gun and not be dangling off the stock. I think a four inch barrel is a minimum for have enough barrel and sight radius that she can shoot accurately out to 25 yards.

Get a caliber that is big enough to get the job done in a tense social setting, and yet one that she can handle. If recoil is too much she won't practice and practice needs to happen.

If you have the ability to try a few things before you can buy that would be best. I seriously doubt that a snub nosed revolver that many guns store would recommend is going to be the ticket.

Actually, my daughter PREFERS revolvers to semi auto's. She dearly LOVES shooting my Combat Magnum.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Take her to Tomlinson's in Churubusco. Tomlinsons Shooting Supplies INC

Talk to JetGirl. INGunOwners - View Profile: JetGirl

Good inventory on hand.Reasonable prices. Honest. In my experience. Great service. JetGirl knows weapons and is very willing to help.

:twocents:

There is an INGO shoot at Winamac on Sept 23. It is a wonderful way to get experience with different guns, and a truly great bunch of people. At the last one, I had the opportunity to shoot a revolver that I was so taken with I bought one the next day. ( I do love my revolver:))

Another opportunity to consider is that at Kodiak at south bend you can rent all the guns for $5.00 and so get some hands on experience. They are very helpful.

Shoot lots of guns, and don't rule something out b 'c of something you have heard. Shoot everything you can and then make your (her) own decision.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    i would go with the advice of either a .38 revolver or a glock from my experience. i have a descent selection of pistols varying in size and caliber from a full frame 1911 in .45acp to a .22 derringer. my wife really likes the glock 19. shoots well with it too. any time i make it down to IU i stop in at Bradis on the way.great selection and staff.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I took my niece and her friend to the range to shoot for the first time. Both had never shot so after the safety basics we started off small and worked up. My niecce loved the 38-357 revolver and her friend fell in love with my Colt 1911. You never know what she might pick.

Top Bottom