• ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    What ages do you teach? I have one in kindergarten and he brings home mounds of paperwork each week!

His hand writing is better than the 5th graders (but he takes his time). Amazon is bringing the 5th grader a few handwriting books tomorrow. He'll do them to earn electronics time this summer...
    Love this. I am licensed k-12 however for the past 8 years I have only taught high school. Prior to that I was in jr/sr high schools.

Even at the MS level, a lot of schools aren’t sending home tablets, or laptops. Too much risk in damage and schools can’t afford those repairs. I suspect most high school level students are expected to either possess or have access to computer based learning tools. That’s not to say that all content areas don’t use handwriting though.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it. But at the level and content material I use it’s very little paper and pencil. If any at all.

We also use content specific software. Again it’s all technology based.

I joke with our technology department that they can fix all of these amazing electronic tools; however when I started school, we had an abacus in the room. I challenged them to develop the woodworking skills to fix that.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Schools are changing. But we are seeing more home based education than we used to. I used to joke that one day we may only need school buildings for athletic facilities, performing arts facilities, and content specific labs.

I hope that doesn’t happen. Kids also need to be around other kids and develop social skills.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Being old, old school, I sometimes write thank you cards and greeting cards in cursive. I think that it is easier to hand write than printing. I kind of like it that some people can't understand anything not printed on a screen (and many can't understand that). My granddaughters are learning it. I'm sure that it is going by the wayside rapidly, as have slide rules, pocket calculators, Blackberry, land line phones and chronograph wristwatches. Technology advances often leave pieces of our culture behind.
    That’s 100% true.

I have a wonderful watch collection, but rarely use them. I don’t even own a printer anymore at home. Anymore it’s either handwritten cards in mail, or send electronic cards/gift certificates.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I hope that doesn’t happen. Kids also need to be around other kids and develop social skills.
    "Aren't you worried about socialization for your homeschoolers?"
    "Nah, every morning I take them into the bathroom and shake them down for their lunch money."

I use cursive regularly for cards and calligraphy. Though the lowest grade I got in school was a third grade D in handwriting.

Now shorthand... It's all Greek to me, but SWMBO learned it in school, and still uses it to take notes and make lists. Problem is, if she doesn't go back and translate it within a day, she can't read what she wrote either.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The real problem is that there will come a day when the only remaining people capable of reading important documents will be the equivalent of today's Egyptian hieroglyphics interpreters. This is one of those areas where knowledge is power and the lack thereof will be uncontested manipulation.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Schools are changing. But we are seeing more home based education than we used to. I used to joke that one day we may only need school buildings for athletic facilities, performing arts facilities, and content specific labs.

I hope it does happen. A lot of those who homeschool their kids make sure to get them out among other kids their age to socialize. I'd rather see kids growing up with a Christian education that teaches proper values, along with true history, math and such, rather than the garbage most public schools are spewing. You may be lucky and be part of a school system that isn't teaching garbage, but my feeling is if so, it won't be long before the Progressive nonsense makes it's way to your school system.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I hope it does happen. A lot of those who homeschool their kids make sure to get them out among other kids their age to socialize. I'd rather see kids growing up with a Christian education that teaches proper values, along with true history, math and such, rather than the garbage most public schools are spewing. You may be lucky and be part of a school system that isn't teaching garbage, but my feeling is if so, it won't be long before the Progressive nonsense makes it's way to your school system.
    I will say, the rural school system we're in now is much better in this regard (and almost every way) than the suburban Indy (one of the best in the state) school systems we were a part of for 15ish years.

My kids get Christmas Break, not Winter Break, for starters, and they aren't teaching to the IREAD test...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    "Aren't you worried about socialization for your homeschoolers?"
    "Nah, every morning I take them into the bathroom and shake them down for their lunch money."

I use cursive regularly for cards and calligraphy. Though the lowest grade I got in school was a third grade D in handwriting.

Now shorthand... It's all Greek to me, but SWMBO learned it in school, and still uses it to take notes and make lists. Problem is, if she doesn't go back and translate it within a day, she can't read what she wrote either.
    I recently met a couple of teen home-schooled kids. They are polite, know how to talk to adults, mature, conscientious and friendly. They mow lawns, too! I'm sure that my small example doesn't fit all (maybe not most), but I've been favorably impressed.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    The dumbing down of America. Math, English, Reading Writing; it's all the same. Many of the teachers today are teaching what they know, which is very little. When I was in grammar school we had penmanship, long and drawn out but very productive. I had good writing shills until I became older. The lack of need for writing allowed me to get into some bad practices of scribbling. I cringe at the thought of us not teaching basic skills, which includes cursive and penmanship.

I used to work in hospital for many years, I learned to read some of the toughest doctor scribbling ever but truly struggle with some of the younger groups' writing today. Even the printing is poor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Whether it is cursive handwriting or algebra or trig or calculus or physics, at the elementary and secondary levels, nearly every child should have to learn things, the practical application of which is not immediately obvious. Why?

Formal education needs to call the mind to stretch, to work that muscle.

Sure, teach the practical things, but I credit algebraic proofs and calculus with helping me understand how to break down immensely complicated problems into manageable parts, each of which can be solved in turn leading to an ultimate solution. When I was in Jr. High and High School having problems with Math and hating "story problems", my Dad, an engineer said: "Life is a story problem." That stuck with me. Life is, indeed, a story problem.

I don't do algebra, trig or calculus on a daily basis, nor write in cursive or have to know the state capitols or the reason why Andrew Johnson was impeached (which more people should know), but I use techniques and strategies I learned while learning these things nearly every day.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago my son was in High school, and I wrote a note in cursive to do some things around the house, I got home, and nothing was done....he told me he couldn't read my note.....I tried to teach him to open a combination lock, and he said he wouldn't need to know that...fast forward to High school...he never opened his locker for the 3 years he was there (he was home schooled til 10th grade)

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    What will be used, a printed signature? Just seems odd is all. Don't signatures get verified for things? Is it all going to be done by DNA going forward, or finger prints? :dunno:
    My last mortgage was completed only by docusign and I was right there in the office. I could have easily signed my signature n

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    What will be used, a printed signature? Just seems odd is all. Don't signatures get verified for things? Is it all going to be done by DNA going forward, or finger prints? :dunno:
    A printed signature works, especially if you use it all the time. “X” worked for those who could not write, which is why they also usually had witnesses for something important. Now we use notaries for witnesses. As long as you can convince the notary that you are in fact who you say you are, you can sign your documents however you wish and they will attest that they saw you do it. Consistency in signatures is probably more valuable than the form of the signature.

Heck a printed signature is probably better, given how hard it is to read most cursive signatures.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My last mortgage was completed only by docusign and I was right there in the office. I could have easily signed my signature n

Yeah, I've used it as well, but it's not used for everything, at least not yet.

Heck a printed signature is probably better, given how hard it is to read most cursive signatures.

I would think there would be a concern about anyone being able to forge signatures with it printed, but who knows.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Seeing some "rhetorical questions" being posted, how many here are aware many schools aren't teaching cursive handwriting?

We bought our boys some workbooks and are teaching them to read and write it. But if you can't write cursive, how do you sign your name?

And more importantly, how do you read the Constitution or the Bill of Rights?
    I substitute teach at my kids' schools, and they definitely learn cursive and maintain the skill.

The other day, an English teacher had them writing, "Closing time, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here" as practice.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, I've used it as well, but it's not used for everything, at least not yet.

I would think there would be a concern about anyone being able to forge signatures with it printed, but who knows.
    I personally haven't seen anything in a while where someone cared about comparing a signature, but then again I'm not doing autograph appraising, forensic accounting or litigation. The folks in those fields here could provide some input.

It seems to be usually about proving who one is if needed via some other means and that being recorded and the signature is recorded as a confirmation that one was provided the documents, etc.

I don't see not teaching cursive handwriting as the downfall of America, etc. Some of the other things mentioned in this thread are candidates, but in itself, I don't see this item as an issue.

My handwriting is horrible these days, and the only thing I have done in cursive in any recent capacity has been signature. I specifically hate it when someone tries to say sign exactly as the document is drawn up (full name including middle, etc), and I have taken to it really just being first initial with some squiggles that then go into last name (which is recognizable) and my signatures are comparable these days, but look nothing like they looked when I learned to write, etc.

Top Bottom