• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No. That one’s called the Civil War. It’s taught in every school. It has been for many years. The name you gave it is taught by dogmatic ideologues who want to make the South’s part of it into some gallant struggle for freedom.

Bless your heart.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Certainly, Gen. Milley is correct that military leaders ought to be exposed to a wide variety of books and ideas that are in opposition to American values.

BUT the purpose of doing so is to properly formulate an opposition to those ideas, not to adopt them.

And it's clear that some people defending CRT have no clue what it's intended to do.

It's not to "teach history accurately," which I believe most people would be for.

The proponents seek nothing less than to tear the country apart and remake it.

What is Critical Race Theory?

An outgrowth of the European Marxist school of critical theory, critical race theory is an academic movement which seeks to link racism, race, and power. Unlike the Civil Rights movement, which sought to work within the structures of American democracy, critical race theorists challenge the very foundations of the liberal order, such as rationalism, constitutional law, and legal reasoning. Critical race theorists argue that American social life, political structures, and economic systems are founded upon race, which (in their view) is a social construct.

Systemic racism, in the eyes of critical race theorists, stems from the dominance of race in American life. Critical race theorists and anti-racist advocates argue that, because race is a predominant part of American life, racism itself has become internalized into the American conscious. It is because of this, they argue, that there have been significantly different legal and economic outcomes between different racial groups.

What are the implications of Critical Race Theory?

Advocates of anti-racism and critical race theory use this focus on race to emphasize the importance of identity politics. Movements, such as the wave of “anti-racist” actions at universities and Black Lives Matter, are some ways in which identity politics and critical race theory have captured the nation’s attention. For the political identitarians, simply not being racist is not sufficient. As Boston University professor Ibram X. Kendi writes in his book How to Be an Antiracist, “[Racism] is descriptive, and the only way to undo racism is to consistently identify and describe it—and then dismantle it,” (p. 9).

Self-avowed anti-racists are not only expected to push for equity (i.e. the equality of outcome) in the broader society, but are also asked to find racism in daily life. Robin DiAngelo, author of White Fragility, writes, “The question is not ‘did racism take place?’ but rather, ‘how did racism manifest in this situation?”’ Anti-racists must find these “implicit biases” in all aspects of life, ranging from discussions in the classroom to interactions between colleagues. All of these are fair game.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    While I agree, the law is not applied equally to all, and that educational & socio-economic opportunities are not equal in all cases, the solution isn't tearing the whole system down.

Watch for verbal gymnastics from the defenders of CRT. As with all things leftist/marxist in nature, they can't call it what it is, otherwise nearly everyone would be opposed.

Here’s a definition from a 2001 book, Critical Race Theory: An Introduction by Richard Delgado and Jean Stefanic, widely credited as key architects of CRT:

The critical race theory (CRT) movement is a collection of activists and scholars interested in studying and transforming the relationship among race, racism, and power. The movement considers many of the same issues that conventional civil rights and ethnic studies discourses take up, but places them in a broader perspective that includes economics, history, context, group- and self-interest, and even feelings and the unconscious. Unlike traditional civil rights, which embraces incrementalism and step-by-step progress, critical race theory questions the very foundations of the liberal order, including equality theory, legal reasoning, Enlightenment rationalism, and neutral principles of constitutional law.

Although CRT began as a movement in the law, it has rapidly spread beyond that discipline. Today, many in the field of education consider themselves critical race theorists who use CRT’s ideas to understand issues of school discipline and hierarchy, tracking, controversies over curriculum and history, and IQ and achievement testing. Political scientists ponder voting strategies coined by critical race theorists. Ethnic studies courses often include a unit on critical race theory, and American studies departments teach material on critical white students developed by CRT writers. Unlike some academic disciplines, critical race theory contains an activist dimension. It not only tries to understand our social situation, but to change it. (Emphases added.)

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some more information about the roots of CRT, Critical Theory and Cultural Marxism...

The origins of Critical Theory can be traced to the 1937 manifesto of the Institute for Social Research in Frankfurt, colloquially known as the Frankfurt School. One of the first examples of what has come to be called the Western Marxist schools of thought, the Institute modeled itself on the Moscow-based Marx-Engels Institute. Originally, the school’s official name was going to be the Institut fur Marxismus (Institute for Marxism), but, ever desirous of downplaying their Marxist roots, its founders thought it prudent to adopt a less provocative title, according to one of the best histories of the school’s work and of Critical Theory itself, The Dialectical Imagination, by Martin Jay.

Critical Theory was, from the start, an unremitting attack on Western institutions and norms in order to tear them down. This attack was aimed only at the West. Even though the manifesto, titled Traditional and Critical Theory, was written at the height of Joseph Stalin’s purges, show trials, and famines, the school “maintained an almost complete official silence about events in the USSR,” according to Jay.

The manifesto, written by the school’s second director, Max Horkheimer, claimed that traditional theory fetishized knowledge, seeing truth as empirical and universal. Critical theory, on the other hand, “held that man could not be objective and that there are no universal truths.”6

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In the other CRT thread I asked the skeptics of the criticisms of CRT to tell me what Critical, and Theory, in CRT means. No takers. I knew then what was meant. But my understanding of it is incomplete.

The "Critical" part of critical theory, in a practical sense, just means to criticize the "oppressive" institutions. And of course it's obvious why something like that might be thought up. In a practical sense, if you want to rebuild society into your Marxist utopia, one way to do it is to tear down the social institutions underlying the society, and replace them with ones that underlie the utopia. Criticizing everything seems like a way to do that. And this was my understanding of what Critical means. And that's mostly correct. But it feels incomplete. How does that make theoretical sense? There has to be more than that. It's too simple to have the volume of literature out there in the ether. And there is plenty.

Well, today I heard something that is probably true, that also makes sense of it. James Lindsey explained in a podcast what underlies the "critical" part. It starts with Immanuel Kant's dialectic. A dialectic method is a way for two or more people with different points of view to arrive at something they both might agree is truth. The formula is basically thesis->antithesis->synthesis. There's a proposition, then a counter proposition is made by an opponent, and then the tension resolved becomes the synthesis, or something close to the truth. There are problems with the method, but it's unimportant as it pertains to CT, and CRT, or C<whatever>T.

Okay so fast-forward to Marx's dialectic materialism. Briefly, it's a dialectic method applied to class struggles. The short of it is to look at the problems and apply the antithesis to solve them. That amounts to this. The problem is the thesis. The negative or critical view of the thesis is the antithesis. The solution is the synthesis. Identify a problem. Criticize it. The tension resolved is the synthesis. Sound familiar? That's basically the same as modern "problematizing".

Fast-forward again to the Frankfort school where critical theory was formulated to resolve why Marxism didn't result in utopia, and instead resulted in millions of people dying and unworkable societies. So they refactored many of Marx's ideas, but on a cultural level, rather than socioeconomic classes. So then the part I was missing is what thinking is behind the "critical" part. I didn't get the connection to Marxism's dialectic "operating system" as Lindsey put it. Critical theory is inseparable from Marxism. Critical Race Theory is just CT applied to race. It's based on Marxism, but re-imagined as a cultural struggle instead of a class struggle.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I had read some opinion that, having tried communism and having it founder on the lack of a rigid class structure to exploit in the US, the pivot to cultural struggle was a deliberate attempt to adopt the method to gain more traction in the USofA

It seems to have worked, but my sense is that many will abandon the struggle if it loses that traction, that they are not idealogues but are in it for the ride

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I had read some opinion that, having tried communism and having it founder on the lack of a rigid class structure to exploit in the US, the pivot to cultural struggle was a deliberate attempt to adopt the method to gain more traction in the USofA

It seems to have worked, but my sense is that many will abandon the struggle if it loses that traction, that they are not idealogues but are in it for the ride

Marxism really didn't start becoming popular I think the riots hurt the movement. I think the claims that all whites are racist hurt the movement. But the thing that will utterly destroy it is when people learn that their kids are being indoctrinated into it. And I'm talking about middle America, not the twitteratti.

Using Google ngram viewer is a good tool to see how many of these terms we hear today started gaining popularity in literature with about the same curve.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here's an interesting conversation with James Lindsey. I'm not endorsing the SovereignNations youtube channel by posting this. I posted it because the conversation contains a better explanation than the one I gave about the role dialectics in wokeness.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Long time Harvard educated buddy of mine made the mistake of whining about the CRT, statue tearing down, etc. yesterday. Said he can't belive the way the country's gone, while virtue signalling saying he's always backed "equity."

I shut down his BS, saying he and folks like him need to pay attention to this when they vote. He was quick to remind me, (as he does frequently,) that he didn't vote for Biden. I reminded him that any vote for any D supports all of these actions that he was whining about. The same as throwing away the vote by abstaining or third party voting, unless they can contend.

Also reminded him that repeating the narrative of the left by using words like "equity" show that he supports the news organizations who promote that agenda. Told him that he is getting what he asked for.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm not saying that, this lady who survived the inevitable political, class and cultural purges of Marxism from communist China.

Mom — Who Survived Mao’s Communist Purges — Rips School Board For Effort To Adopt Critical Race Theory
    I'm not saying that, this lady who survived the inevitable political, class and cultural purges of Marxism from communist China.

Mom — Who Survived Mao’s Communist Purges — Rips School Board For Effort To Adopt Critical Race Theory

It dawned on me that there may be many here too young or simply unaware of how China got to where it is today.

If you want to understand the push from progressives, it is helpful to be aware.

A brief overview, but do your own homework.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay, so I think I'm going to back off of saying CRT *IS* cultural Marxism. It's not that CRT==Cultural Marxism. It's that CRT is "Marxian". It's composed of many components of Cultural Marxism. Much like Cultural Marxism isn't the same as classical Marxism. It has components of Marxism.

Back to the dialectic. The idea is that the dialectic, iteratively applied to successive syntheses, produces something closer to perfection. Or something we often mockingly refer to as "utopia".

Cultural Marxism is the synthesis of Classical Marxism (thesis), dialectically challenged with it's cultural counter arguments (antithesis). So then the synthesis of that (cultural Marxism) is comprised of the parts of Marxism and the cultural counter arguments that survived the dialectic process. It's baked in Critical Theory from the Frankfort institute. The idea that power is the primary feature of human interaction survived the dialectic. But, the real Proletariat is minority identity groups and the real Bourgeoisie is the dominant identity group.

The next iteration of the dialectic is Cultural Marxism which is the thesis, vs it's counter arguments, which include postmodernism and Critical Legal Theory to form the antithesis. The synthesis of which is CRT. So parts of cultural marxism are retained and combined with parts of postmodernism, and critical legal theory. So then "Theory" (capital T) now takes on a postmodern meaning (it's not a scientific theory. It basically lifting speculation to an authoritative level). So with CRT, the Marxian part retained is the idea of Proletariat rising against the Bourgeois in a revolution (gone is the emphasis on class struggle). But, a natural revolution is unlikely because the dominant identity group, through its oppressive institutions, prevent the minority identity groups from seeing that they're oppressed. They're asleep. They need awakened. They need to be woke. And then they'll rise up to dismantle all the oppressive institutions.

One example I've heard of how an institution can be dismantled or subverted: Let's say there is an influential church in a key neighborhood that opposes CRT. Okay, so woke people would get themselves onto the church board. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. Once they have a voting majority, they vote to fire the pastor, and sell the church building and resources, could be to themselves, or to some other ally group. That's dismantling. Or, they could subvert: once they've fired the pastor, they hire a "woke" pastor to indoctrinate the neighborhood in CRT.

Same thing can work any institutional part. Piece at a time. School by school. Church by church. Media outlet by media outlet, Business by business. We're seeing the revolution within many Western institutions happening. I wish it were just conspiracy theories. But I did not get this from Alex Jones wannabes. I got it from their own literature.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Long time Harvard educated buddy of mine made the mistake of whining about the CRT, statue tearing down, etc. yesterday. Said he can't belive the way the country's gone, while virtue signalling saying he's always backed "equity."

I shut down his BS, saying he and folks like him need to pay attention to this when they vote. He was quick to remind me, (as he does frequently,) that he didn't vote for Biden. I reminded him that any vote for any D supports all of these actions that he was whining about. The same as throwing away the vote by abstaining or third party voting, unless they can contend.

Also reminded him that repeating the narrative of the left by using words like "equity" show that he supports the news organizations who promote that agenda. Told him that he is getting what he asked for.
    Just thought I'd mention. "Equity" is doublespeak for deconstruct/subvert. If there is a statistical disproportionality of outcomes it is because of racist hegemony. Of course that's a speculative assertion. But it's "Theory" which makes it authoritative. So then the only corrective action is to dismantle or subvert the hegemonic institutions. It's the basis of "defund the police". Of course, all they're doing is flipping what they see as the hegemony. White male dominance.

Top Bottom