Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said, 'I wouldn't call it an accident at all, it's a criminal investigation'

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said, 'I wouldn't call it an accident at all, it's a criminal investigation'

Sheriff Mendoza strikes me as a very serious man.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I liked this comment to the article:

"Simple question for Alec Baldwin: If the scene called for you to put this gun to your head and pull the trigger - would you have checked the gun over? The scene shouldn’t alter the protocol. #AlecBaldwinFelon"

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And pray tell, what useful info did you add?

I added a well liked comment early and have been waiting for some actual news, but we are down to nothing but bickering over the safety protocols that should have been and the definition of a prop gun. I hope any news will be in a new thread…

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Don't think this will surprise anyone, an alternate headline could be, "Armorer's lawyers throw Alec Baldwin under the bus"

‘Rust’ armorer breaks silence on Alec Baldwin shooting incident, blames producers for unsafe conditions

Hannah Gutierrez Reed spoke out to deny certain rumors about the on-set shooting involving Alec Baldwin that left cinematographer Halyna Hutchins dead.

Gutierrez Reed, the armorer on the set of "Rust" who was responsible for the safety and handling of firearms on the set, is a main focus of the investigation into the death of Hutchins, according to Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza. She was one of the very few people who handled the gun prior to Baldwin discharging it on set last Thursday.

However, in a statement made through her attorneys, New Mexico-based lawyers Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence, Gutierrez Reed blamed rushed conditions on the low-budget set for the tragic mishap. She also disputed rumors that the crew used live ammunition for target practice and denied responsibility for two discharges that happened previously, according to Deadline.

"Safety is Hannah’s number one priority on set," her attorneys said in a statement to the outlet. "Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Safety is Hannah’s number one priority on set," her attorneys said in a statement to the outlet. "Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from."
    Um, safety is her number one priority on set... but she has no idea where live rounds came from? Sounds like safety is not, in fact, her number one priority.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    From my perspective all the three of them can do is point fingers at each other through their lawyers. It was reported that the propmaster had quit within a week of this happening, I guess they could try to make him or his replacement the fall guy to muddy the waters up.
    Then I guess you could add in the disgruntled worker slipped in the live round story but I heard there were 90 people on the set and it seems impossible that someone could have tampered with the weapon and not be seen and noticed by several people but at this point I should not be surprised about anything that happened.

I spoke to a propmaster who does a show with lots of guns and for now they are going on as before but the studio is telling him that Ca. is going to ban powder from sets at some point and the studios will stop the practice in the rest of the country when that happens.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Um, safety is her number one priority on set... but she has no idea where live rounds came from? Sounds like safety is not, in fact, her number one priority.
    I think looking trashy is her number one priority. Everyone has something they're good at. :cool:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Second headline bold is my emphasis. Uuummm, shouldn't they know the identity of the Property Master? (Reads the story...) OH, they really don't know (bold my emphasis again.)

This was brought to you by Suspected Staff Member, Alleged Site Supporter and Possible Moderator Kellyin(maybe...)Avon

Alec Baldwin 'Rust' shooting: 4th person handled gun before fatal incident, search warrant says

Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, suspected property master Sarah Zachry and assistant director Dave Halls all handled the gun before Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed Halyna Hutchins

According to the search warrant, Zachry, who is believed to have served as the prop master on "Rust," removed the guns from the safe in the truck after lunch and handed them to Gutierrez, Gutierrez said.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    This is an industry where even now some people are being covoid tested 3x per week no matter what their vac status and some people are being required to show proof of vaccination or get a lawyer or get fired.
    The police should have done a drug test of everyone involved with the production, it would seem a double standard if anyone resisted.

About the propmaster, they are the one who usually hires the armor, but that is not set in stone. I read somewhere that the propmaster had left the show a few days before this happened and was replaced by someone non union and therefore considered to be very inexperienced. At day 21 of 25 I would not be surprised if they just moved an assistant up to be the propmaster.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Second headline bold is my emphasis. Uuummm, shouldn't they know the identity of the Property Master? (Reads the story...) OH, they really don't know (bold my emphasis again.)

This was brought to you by Suspected Staff Member, Alleged Site Supporter and Possible Moderator Kellyin(maybe...)Avon

Alec Baldwin 'Rust' shooting: 4th person handled gun before fatal incident, search warrant says

Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, suspected property master Sarah Zachry and assistant director Dave Halls all handled the gun before Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed Halyna Hutchins

According to the search warrant, Zachry, who is believed to have served as the prop master on "Rust," removed the guns from the safe in the truck after lunch and handed them to Gutierrez, Gutierrez said.

I'm beginning to think a random group of teenagers with iPhones could have put together a more professional production than that outfit. :nuts:

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Covering her own ass appears to be her number one priority, but I can't say as I blame her. I would expect Baldwin to be desperately seeking a scapegoat and he has a lot more throw weight in the land of Looney Toons. There likely is plenty of blame to go around, she's done

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    New Mexico v. Alec Baldwin?
    Regardless of what anyone else on the set did, is there is a reasonable basis under New Mexico law to charge Alec Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter?
    Alec Baldwin meet Ed Gilliam.

In 1955 Gilliam was tried in New Mexico for involuntary manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of one Eva Devoll.In his opening to the jury, the prosecutor stated:
    It is the State’s theory that the specific act or acts consisted of carelessly handling a loaded fire-arm (sic), and in particular that the defendant loaded the gun, that he handled it without due caution and circumspection while he was drinking, and that he drank intoxicants while he had a loaded gun in his possession.
    The evidence established that Ms. Devoll was killed at the home of Leslie Johnson. Persons present when the gun discharged were Johnson, D.E. Hendrix, Gilliam, and Devoll, the decedent.
    Gilliam testified that Hendrix handed him the gun, and, as he took hold of the trigger guard and barrel, the weapon discharged. Nevertheless, he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

On appeal to the New Mexico Supreme Court, Gilliam challenged the trial court’s instruction to the jury regarding what the prosecution had to establish to prove him guilty. The Supreme Court held, however, that the instruction regarding the handling of a firearm had been correct in that the judge had “told the jury that it was required, to warrant a conviction, to find beyond a reasonable doubt that defendant handled the pistol without due caution and circumspection and that doing so was the proximate cause of the death of Eva Devoll.

“It could have made no difference to the trial of involuntary manslaughter as to who loaded the gun or whether the person handling the gun was sober or drinking or whether he had loaded the gun while drinking intoxicants. All that is necessary to establish for involuntary manslaughter by use of a loaded firearm is that a defendant had in his hands a gun which at some time had been loaded and that he handled it, whether drunk, drinking or sober, without due caution and circumspection and that death resulted.” (Emphasis added)

The court’s holding in Gilliam’s case is still the law in New Mexico. The state’s felony manslaughter statute provides, in relevant part, the following:

“Manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice … Involuntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter in the commission of a lawful act that might produce death … without due caution and circumspection.” (Emphasis added)

Which brings us to Alec Baldwin.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with the New Mexico statute. It doesn’t matter what happened before Baldwin had the gun in his possession, he is ultimately responsible for discharging the loaded weapon and causing death to one person and injury to another. This is not to say those upstream contributing should not be held accountable but ultimately, the responsibility must lie with Baldwin.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom