• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It appeared to me he was saying that there is no mention of "vaccinations" in the book, so the quote from the book isn't relevant to the meme. :dunno:
    I'm just amused at the wornout comparison of anything people don't like to Orwell. Our government tried to implement a sweeping mandate...another branch of our government struck it down because it was unconstitutional. That doesn't sound very Orwellian to me.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm just amused at the wornout comparison of anything people don't like to Orwell. Our government tried to implement a sweeping mandate...another branch of our government struck it down because it was unconstitutional. That doesn't sound very Orwellian to me.
    What does that have to do with the particular meme? Which I described as referencing always believing what the government tells you. Maybe they are telling you these things to try and justify their mandates. That to me is the overall point to the meme.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, you're saying that we should always believe what big brother says and deny what our eyes and ears are telling us?
    No, I'm saying stop making and reposting lame Big Brother memes.
    Like all memes, they overly simplify and issue and attach some emotional trigger to convince you to believe whatever it is that they're pushing. It's the exact opposite of using you own eyes and ears.

Or at least just post them in the pol. cartoon thread.

Memes are the new Big Brother.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Anytime any branch of government does something to restrict freedom or attempts to, it’s bad. Even you “smart” guys should realize that.
    Exactly. The whole point is that the government is attempting to do it and that is what is relevant to Orwell. Seems to me that SCOTUS agrees with Orwell and their attempt is unconstitutional.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I still stand by what I said. The whole point to the meme as it relates to Orwell's quote is that the government wants you to always believe what they are telling you. I am saying that think it's a valid parallel to the meme.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Like all memes, they overly simplify and issue and attach some emotional trigger to convince you to believe whatever it is that they're pushing. It's the exact opposite of using you own eyes and ears.

brian stelter, is that you?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I still stand by what I said. The whole point to the meme as it relates to Orwell's quote is that the government wants you to always believe what they are telling you. I am saying that think it's a valid parallel to the meme.
    It's a lazy parallel; and a weak one at that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anyhoo, Omicron specific...

The Indiana Covid dashboard reports the variant. It's not that the sequence every positive test, but the sequence enough to get a good idea.

2 weeks ago- .9% Omicron.

Last week- 17% Omicron

This week- 74% Omicron.

It's hard to find exact dates, but I believe this sequencing and reporting is a little behind in that what is reported are the variant percentage from 2 or 3 weeks ago. Chances are that by this time, out and about, we're pretty much 100% Omicron and have been for a week or more. This is a good thing. The death rate (deaths per day, not per case) remains about 1/2 what it was during the surge last winter. That is, there are about 2.5 times more positive test results than a year ago, but 50% of the deaths meaning that there is markedly less death now, something like a 66% reduction in death over last winter's surge. However, that death rate, with it's positive trend, probably is just barely starting to reflect Omicron.

If you look at the case positive graph, the trend seems to be flattening, but we should know for sure in a few days. As the death numbers lag behind the case numbers by 2 to 3 weeks, it may be very exciting to see the death rate drop even more as the death numbers begin to reflect Omicron, from which fewer and fewer people are dying, more and more.

In sum, more cases of a less deadly strain is actually a very good thing.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hmmmm...I missed the part in 1984 (the elementary and obvious comparison, I guess?) about vaccines. Have you all read it? Do you know what the book is even about?
    So you can't see the parallels to 1984 for government is literally telling you not what the truth is but what it shall be, and using coercive force to make it so?

When you look outside, that doesn't begin to seem familiar? Are you sure you read it?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Doesn't the government always try to convince you to believe what they are pushing and try to enact mandates based on you having faith in what they are telling you?

That's what I am concerned about as well as what Orwell was saying.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Exactly. The whole point is that the government is attempting to do it and that is what is relevant to Orwell. Seems to me that SCOTUS agrees with Orwell and their attempt is unconstitutional.
    SCOTUS...As in the same SCOTUS that is in fact a branch of the government? Also known as big brother...? Very Orwellian indeed.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    So you can't see the parallels to 1984 for government is literally telling you not what the truth is but what it shall be, and using coercive force to make it so?

When you look outside, that doesn't begin to seem familiar? Are you sure you read it?
    I'm quite sure. Several times actually. Sure...there is government propaganda as there has been since the beginning of government, but rising to Orwellian level...please.

Top Bottom