• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok so 3 months out of extended warranty the ice makers on our LG Refrigerator have stopped working for the 3 rd time. Too bad too sad . So needless to say not real happy with LG I mean why should a expensive refrigerator last longer than 3 years?

unfortunately we use a fair bit of ice, so I am not going to chunk out the cash for a new refrigerator just because of the ice makers not working. So we are looking at a on counter ice maker, anyone use one good bad or indifferent?

thanks

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have seen several different names on machines that look virtually identical. We bought a $90 one from Sams or Walmart several years ago. The ir sensor went out & says ice full but there is a bypass for it to continually make ice. It lives in our 5th wheel, don't remember what brand it is.

If it ever totally quits I will get another one.

If we do a remodel or new home build, I will probably have a small built-in ice machine. Sister in law has one & it is awesome.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Wife uses one, seems to work well. We do Not use it every day (Summer every day, Winter 2-3X's a week) We've been using it about 4 years or so. Most seem the same or very similar. I asked, she said, she'd buy another. Bought it at Sam's or Wal-Mart

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wife uses one, seems to work well. We do Not use it every day (Summer every day, Winter 2-3X's a week) We've been using it about 4 years or so. Most seem the same or very similar. I asked, she said, she'd buy another. Bought it at Sam's or Wal-Mart
    If we go this route I was thinking we could make the ice and then toss it in the ice maker tray ? Not a perfect solution but that was my thought process.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have a Samsung refrigerator that has/had the freezing up problem. It got so bad that after thawing it out, sometimes it would be frozen again in a couple of days. We seriously considered one of those until I found that there was actually a fix for it now. I found a couple of youtube videos that told where to get the kits and how to make the fixes and so far, it’s working pretty good. I bring that up in case there’s something similar out there for you LG. I certainly didn’t want another counter top appliance crowding up the kitchen.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We have a small unit by igloo bought it Sam's Club I think.

Mostly used during the warmest months and is then cleaned and put under cabinet for the duration of winter.

We've had it over three years. Works well for two people and guests. It's not overly loud but you can definitely hear it doing its thing when the house is otherwise quiet.

I only use water filtered by the Britta pitcher, clean with distilled water at the end of season - it's easy to clean and drain.

Probably the best $80 bucks spent on a kitchen device. I'm not at all disappointed.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    We have a Samsung refrigerator that has/had the freezing up problem. It got so bad that after thawing it out, sometimes it would be frozen again in a couple of days. We seriously considered one of those until I found that there was actually a fix for it now. I found a couple of youtube videos that told where to get the kits and how to make the fixes and so far, it’s working pretty good. I bring that up in case there’s something similar out there for you LG. I certainly didn’t want another counter top appliance crowding up the kitchen.

Same here, every Samsung appliance I have purchased has been plagued with issues.

I disassembled the cooling unit cover & wrapped some copper wire around heating element & stuffed several inches down the defrost drain. Works ok during winter but in summer will still freeze up if I don't run a manual defrost once or twice a week.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If we go this route I was thinking we could make the ice and then toss it in the ice maker tray ? Not a perfect solution but that was my thought process.
    She makes it in advance, places in 1 gallon Zip Loc Bags in the Freezer. We always have at least 1 or 2 on hand before she makes more. Our use is more on the weekends are everyday in the Summer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Same here, every Samsung appliance I have purchased has been plagued with issues.

I disassembled the cooling unit cover & wrapped some copper wire around heating element & stuffed several inches down the defrost drain. Works ok during winter but in summer will still freeze up if I don't run a manual defrost once or twice a week.
    It’s been since the summer since we did our fix and it’s only frozen up once since. It was doing it really frequently before. I think this might have been one of the videos that showed how to fix the problem. Maybe it will apply to yours too.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    It’s been since the summer since we did our fix and it’s only frozen up once since. It was doing it really frequently before. I think this might have been one of the videos that showed how to fix the problem. Maybe it will apply to yours too.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Our icemaker worked ok, we have the french door with bottom drawer freezer.

Our refrigerator cooling unit defrost drain would freeze up then start building ice on the cooling unit to the point where it would block airflow & stop cooling. Ice would form under the crisper bins because of the overflow of melted frost.

End threadjack

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    We have been using a counter top ice maker for years. Even with a filter on the refrigerator, we could never get decent ice that wasn't cloudy. We have been through a number of units in the last 15-20 years and the one we like best is Luma. We filter the tap water through a Brita or Zero water filter and get very clear and very solid ice. It is a more expensive unit but it has held up with constant usage. This is the one we bought from amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B00DYJNNWQ

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    We have the GE Profile which makes the  good ice, like Chick-fil-A ice.

It was great, until it stopped working after a few weeks. We have received very little response and feedback from GE. It's a known and common-ish issue to have trouble with these. However, all things considered there isn't really an alternative so we are hoping to get this resolved and have the ice maker again.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Got this one for the wife at Christmas. It's been good in the short time we've had it.

Igloo Premium Self-Cleaning Countertop Ice Maker Machine, Handled Portable Ice Maker, Produces 26 lbs. in 24 hrs. with Ice Cubes Ready in 6-8 minutes, Comes with Ice Scoop and Basket​

Visit the Igloo Store
    4.4 out of 5 stars 3,102 ratings

More info here......

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Best of luck finding an ice solution. It is, indeed, a pain to have to break out the trays when you're used to an ice maker...and paid dearly for the privilege.

For people with ice problems who stumble upon this thread in the future, about 6 weeks ago, I replaced the ice maker in my Frigidaire for $65 on Amazon and less than 10 minutes of work. This would apply to Frigidaire, Kenmore, Westinghouse, Tappan, etc.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Best of luck finding an ice solution. It is, indeed, a pain to have to break out the trays when you're used to an ice maker...and paid dearly for the privilege.

For people with ice problems who stumble upon this thread in the future, about 6 weeks ago, I replaced the ice maker in my Frigidaire for $65 on Amazon and less than 10 minutes of work. This would apply to Frigidaire, Kenmore, Westinghouse, Tappan, etc.
    I've replaced several of these for friends/family, very simple. Many are the standard Whirlpool design, not sure about Samsung though, they like to be different for everything :xmad:

Top Bottom