• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I know of a guy who dispatched a copperhead late Thursday evening, the seventh on his front porch. His daughter-in-law nearly stepped on it and came quickly into the house calling out "snake, snake, snake, snake."

This guy I know had his wife bring him the Judge revolver that is hers and fired two shots of 7 1/2 shot to quickly kill it. He then skinned it for prosperity.

I think I can get him to let me post a picture of this snake.

Yes, this man does know the difference between the innocent northern water snake and the copperhead. tjhis guy doesn't like to kill anything unncessarily, but on the front porch is too close to home for a copperhead to be for him.

The Taurus Judge was very effective according to this guy.

Terry

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I see no reason why the Judge wouldn't be.

Mind to tell the general location (county) in which this happened? I stated recently on another post that in the 8 years I've been in Indiana, I've never seen a copperhead.

Just curious.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Years ago I had an ICO tell me there were no cottonmouths in Indiana. LIke there are no wild hogs, right.....

Cottonmouths are not water moccasins. I know, I grew up in Louisiana. I have yet to see an actual cottonmouth. I heard they were near Cairo Illinois in the 80's so it could be they are in Indiana by now.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I see no reason why the Judge wouldn't be.

Mind to tell the general location (county) in which this happened? I stated recently on another post that in the 8 years I've been in Indiana, I've never seen a copperhead.

Just curious.

I don't know where his was, but dad and I have killed several on the family hunting property in Jennings county. We've not seen any out there in a couple years, but they seem to go in cycles.

Also heard that if you have abundant black snakes, you won't find many copperheads, black snakes will kill them.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Cottonmouths are not water moccasins. I know, I grew up in Louisiana. I have yet to see an actual cottonmouth. I heard they were near Cairo Illinois in the 80's so it could be they are in Indiana by now.

Agkistrodon piscivorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrong, they are the same species, just different common names. I have seen plenty of them in the Blue River just past Corydon. I saw and a rattlesnake in Garden of the Gods, but I am with SBCman, I have never seen a copperhead in IN. (I of course am not disputing the fact that they are here at all)

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    back in the early 90s a friend of ours found a few baby copperheads in his garden here in anderson just off of 38th st. and mom told us that when she was a kid there was a man that was bite and died from a timber rattler here in anderson makes you look close when your working in the yard

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I see no reason to repopulate our area with venomous snakes. We have plenty of other species of snakes doing a fine job around here that are not venomous.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana

Wrong, they are the same species, just different common names. I have seen plenty of them in the Blue River just past Corydon. I saw and a rattlesnake in Garden of the Gods, but I am with SBCman, I have never seen a copperhead in IN. (I of course am not disputing the fact that they are here at all)

WikiPedia has been wrong before but it would seem that this information is correct. Our dog killed a many of them whilst I was young and romping through the bayou's. Thing is I remember water moccasins also, banded ones to be specific. These looked at lot like cottonmouths, viper heads etc etc, but they were not even poisonous. I know I turned them over and checked, the backside scales 'split' at the ass.

Agkistrodon-piscivorus--range-map.png

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    There have been several copperheads found over the years near Dale Indiana. My dad found one in the ditch in front of the house three years ago.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I have seen one copper head in the wild of Indiana it was in Lawrance Co. but I know they are as far north as Parke Co as Turkey Run SP had one in their nature center that it was caught in the park.

I am not going to dispute anyones sightings but I know many many snakes are misidentified. Probably most of them! None of the poisonous snakes found in Indiana are very common at all but they certainly exist.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I don't know where his was, but dad and I have killed several on the family hunting property in Jennings county. We've not seen any out there in a couple years, but they seem to go in cycles.

Also heard that if you have abundant black snakes, you won't find many copperheads, black snakes will kill them.

Maybe this is why I've yet to see any. Black snakes are by far the dominant snake around here.

Correct- same snake, different name depending on location. Back home we called the water mocasins, up here they prefer to call them cottonmouths. They can be colored differently though- some darker than others, but all have the same bands and characteristics.

There have been several copperheads found over the years near Dale Indiana. My dad found one in the ditch in front of the house three years ago.

Again, this suprises me. I am in the woods and lakes a lot and we live out in the country- pretty close to Dale. Never seen'em. Of course, I could be basing all this on where I'm from where sightings of copperheads were so common they weren't worth mentioning. Seems they are nowhere near that common around here.

We didn't see many water mocasins until you got into the cypress creeks and swamps. I've never seen a coral snake or rattler in the wild anywhere.

My favorite Indiana snake story came a few years back when a large section of the Lincoln State Park was evacuated due to a "diamond back" loose. Hehe- good stuff.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    What's protected in Indiana? Copperheads? I've never seen this listed or written anywhere....

Not trying to be a smartass, but I want to pass this along so... Could you post a reference somewhere so I've got it in black and white?

In my family, copperheads have always been shoot-on-sight.

I was wrong - "Endangered" venomous snakes are protected. Apparently that list contains timber rattlers, massasauga rattlers, and cottonmouths - not copperheads.

Here's a good reference. http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/snakes.pdf

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    wait did someone say we have bears in Indiana?

I live up towards michigan and havent seen a single snake all year. is there any time of day when they are more likely to be out ? best places to look ?

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    wait did someone say we have bears in Indiana?

I live up towards michigan and havent seen a single snake all year. is there any time of day when they are more likely to be out ? best places to look ?

Apparently NOT where you are currently looking:dunno:

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i work on pools around the northern indy and carmel. we see water snakes and copperheads on a regular basis. they both love to sit under pool pump motors and suck up the heat.
    i did see a small timber rattler smashed on the road in front of our house when i was in high school. that was up on c.r. 18 in elkhart.

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    i work on pools around the northern indy and carmel. we see water snakes and copperheads on a regular basis. they both love to sit under pool pump motors and suck up the heat.
    i did see a small timber rattler smashed on the road in front of our house when i was in high school. that was up on c.r. 18 in elkhart.

I really doubt you are seeing copperheads around Northern Indianapolis.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I caught a copper head in a minnow trap as a kid, but mostly see common water snakes around here, as well as lots of black snakes. My uncle had a horse die from a rattlesnake bite in Ellettsville a couple of years ago, and I encountered one in the Morgan Monroe Forrest. I heard one rattle once @ the TC Steel property in Brown County, but did not care to locate it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I caught a copper head in a minnow trap as a kid, but mostly see common water snakes around here, as well as lots of black snakes. My uncle had a horse die from a rattlesnake bite in Ellettsville a couple of years ago, and I encountered one in the Morgan Monroe Forrest. I heard one rattle once @ the TC Steel property in Brown County, but did not care to locate it.
    Not seen Rattlers down by the Forest, but have seen Copperheads. But, it has been decades since I have seen them. Its usually fairly cool when I go into the woods.

As far as where to find them-under metal thats been in the sun, on rocks basking in the sun, in the road basking in the sun, southern facing hills basking in the sun....u get the point. If u want to find them I will hook you up with a friend who looks for them and photographs. Not my thing, but I won't go out of my way to kill one.

I do not fear them or hate them, but want nothing do to do with them other than leave them be.

Top Bottom