• ...and so much more!
  • Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    The copperheads have invaded the flower garden around my house. Last weekend my wife had a nasty surprise while weeding when one moved out of the iris plant next to her. I took care of that one with the shovel.

Tonight I was watering and noticed another near the foundation of the house. I quickly ran inside and grabbed my single-six loaded with CCI .22 Mag shotshells, which I keep ready just for snakes. The copperhead was coiled up between a 4x4 post supporting the porch and the foundation. One shot to the head at about 3 feet was all it took.

Results below - this one is about two feel long.

DPP_JPEG300.jpg

Last edited:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have dispatched 2 water snakes this week with a .22 myself, although I didn't have shotshells so it took a couple shots on the 2nd one, the first had it's head out of the water so it was an easier shot. I have a small creek/ditch that runs through the yard and I keep it mowed to the bank so my kids and I can catch minnows or crawdads or just throw rocks.

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indiana only has four venomous snakes. The timber rattler, copper head, cotton mouth and another rare one up north. All the rest are harmless. There is no need to kill snakes just because you fear them and don't understand them. I can understand killing a copper head in your garden though.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    good to see those shotshells work... im going to texas in a few days to boar hunt.. got a box of the .357 version for potential rattlesnake encounters. if .22s took that copperhead down with one shot, the .357 version should work real nice.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Indiana only has four venomous snakes. The timber rattler, copper head, cotton mouth and another rare one up north. All the rest are harmless. There is no need to kill snakes just because you fear them and don't understand them. I can understand killing a copper head in your garden though.

Years ago I had an ICO tell me there were no cottonmouths in Indiana. LIke there are no wild hogs, right.....

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    If my wife had her way, we would kill all snakes. With the grandkids running around the yard, I just can't risk having copperheads live so close to the house. I wish I had a few more black snakes to help me get rid of them!

And yes, I know how to identify Northern Copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix) and I know they are protected. If I see one in the woods, no problem, we go our separate ways. However, I will gladly exchange a fine for the safety of my family in the immediate area of my house.

Last edited:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I've gotten a couple bobcat photos and videos on my trailcam this spring. It is moving through my property around 10pm at night about once a week, less than 50 yards from my house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    If my wife had her way, we would kill all snakes. With the grandkids running around the yard, I just can't risk having copperheads live so close to the house. I wish I had a few more black snakes to help me get rid of them!

And yes, I know how to identify Northern Copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix) and I know they are protected. If I see one in the woods, no problem, we go our separate ways. However, I will gladly exchange a fine for the safety of my family in the immediate area of my house.
    Unless they are armor plated, no snake is protected at my house. :D

Top Bottom