• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There is no perfect set-up for everyone, only what works for you. Sadly the way to find what works is often trial and error.

Having a sturdy, high-quality gun belt is step one if you plan to carry either outside (OWB) or inside the waistband (IWB). I am almost exclusively an OWB guy these days.

In my experience knowing where on the beltline is most comfortable is more important than the type of holster. I started out with the typical strong side behind the hip at 4 o'clock. These days I usually carry strong side in front of my hip at 2 o'clock. It gives me some of the same benefits of appendix carry, but more comfortable for me and I'm not pointing my pistol at my daddy parts. I can carry a full sized pistol this way all day with no problem and very little printing. But I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. Someone 5'7" who is 160 lbs might not find that comfortable.

I carry a gun for a worst case scenario, so personally that means having the highest capacity and biggest gun I can conceal and fight with confidently should the need arise. I carried a Glock 19 for years and that's a great CC pistol. I have moved onto an H&K VP9 which is slightly larger, but I shoot it better and have many hours of training time with it.

Small guns are easy to carry, but when used with a IWB holster it can be difficult to get a good firing grip on the gun before the draw stroke. A gun that's easy to carry won't mean much if you can't consistently get it out and into the fight should you need it.

I'd recommend taking a few basic pistol or defensive pistol classes. Find a gun you shoot well and then figure out how you think you want to carry it. Try it for a while and see how you like it. Just be prepared to make changes along the way until you get your set-up really dialed in.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I went out on a limb and purchased a kydex holster from a company called Muddy River Tactical. Great retention and a lifetime guarantee.

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    There is no perfect set-up for everyone, only what works for you. Sadly the way to find what works is often trial and error.

Having a sturdy, high-quality gun belt is step one if you plan to carry either outside (OWB) or inside the waistband (IWB). I am almost exclusively an OWB guy these days.

In my experience knowing where on the beltline is most comfortable is more important than the type of holster. I started out with the typical strong side behind the hip at 4 o'clock. These days I usually carry strong side in front of my hip at 2 o'clock. It gives me some of the same benefits of appendix carry, but more comfortable for me and I'm not pointing my pistol at my daddy parts. I can carry a full sized pistol this way all day with no problem and very little printing. But I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. Someone 5'7" who is 160 lbs might not find that comfortable.

I carry a gun for a worst case scenario, so personally that means having the highest capacity and biggest gun I can conceal and fight with confidently should the need arise. I carried a Glock 19 for years and that's a great CC pistol. I have moved onto an H&K VP9 which is slightly larger, but I shoot it better and have many hours of training time with it.

Small guns are easy to carry, but when used with a IWB holster it can be difficult to get a good firing grip on the gun before the draw stroke. A gun that's easy to carry won't mean much if you can't consistently get it out and into the fight should you need it.

I'd recommend taking a few basic pistol or defensive pistol classes. Find a gun you shoot well and then figure out how you think you want to carry it. Try it for a while and see how you like it. Just be prepared to make changes along the way until you get your set-up really dialed in.
    Yea I lean towards the 5’7 160 side more so like you said I’m just trying to find something comfortable and practical but I also don’t want it to print horribly

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    My dad has a couple shields that I’ve played around with quite a bit and I just can’t get used to them, I don’t know what it is but especially on the 2.0 I can’t get used to the sights
    This is what I use on my shields:
    773416-AmeriGlo_Hackathorn_6_Front_8_Rear_Sight_Set_for_Most_Sig_Pistols-SG434.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I’m extremely glad you responded, I’ve been looking into the 365x and my uncle has a friend that’s going to let me try it out to see if I like it, once again thank you for the response

For a CCW gun the P365's are about impossible to beat IMHO , I stay with the "X" or "XL" sized guns as I personally prefer the XL sized grip. The standard grip with it's 10+1 capacity is just a tad short to get my entire hand around when firing. So when I had a stock P365 I always carrier with the extended 12+1 magazines. Moving to the XL grip fixed that issue.

Finally even if you are not planning on a red dot now , getting a model that is already milled for a optic is preferable IMHO as it makes upgrading in the future way easier.

Adding if it helps , I am apparently almost the same size as OP rroughly. That being said with the proper gear anything can be concealed :abused:

IBmwFlDh.jpg

IVqGSzbh.jpg

Staccato P with a Depta Point Pro

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    For a CCW gun the P365's are about impossible to beat IMHO , I stay with the "X" or "XL" sized guns as I personally prefer the XL sized grip. The standard grip with it's 10+1 capacity is just a tad short to get my entire hand around when firing. So when I had a stock P365 I always carrier with the extended 12+1 magazines. Moving to the XL grip fixed that issue.

Finally even if you are not planning on a red dot now , getting a model that is already milled for a optic is preferable IMHO as it makes upgrading in the future way easier.

Adding if it helps , I am apparently almost the same size as OP rroughly. That being said with the proper gear anything can be concealed :abused:

IBmwFlDh.jpg

IVqGSzbh.jpg

Staccato P with a Depta Point Pro
    That’s impressive to say the least, and that’s kinda what I figured as far as the grip, once again glad you responded and showed me that will definitely keep that in mind

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    thats great to know and kind of understand how you’re using your different setups, i will definitely keep that in mind going forward, any chance you’ve been able to do a Sig vs Glock concealment comparison?
    I've carried both Glocks and Sigs, and M&Ps. Depends on the models but most can be concealed carried reasonably. My preferred is hybrid IWB either Galco King Tuk or Crossbreed Mini or Super tuck depending on model of gun, and prefer the combat cut.

Daltech super bio belt, and slide the holder back to where comfortable, I've driven straight through to FL from IN comfortably with one of these rigs.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My dad has a couple shields that I’ve played around with quite a bit and I just can’t get used to them, I don’t know what it is but especially on the 2.0 I can’t get used to the sights
    Sights are something that's an easy fix it it's actually the sights vs ergonomics causing the issue there.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’m extremely glad you responded, I’ve been looking into the 365x and my uncle has a friend that’s going to let me try it out to see if I like it, once again thank you for the response
    365s are easy to change out grip modules as well, and lots of great choices now that Wilson Combat has released theirs for the 365. Can easily use an XL length module with a standard 365, etc.

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    I've carried both Glocks and Sigs, and M&Ps. Depends on the models but most can be concealed carried reasonably. My preferred is hybrid IWB either Galco King Tuk or Crossbreed Mini or Super tuck depending on model of gun, and prefer the combat cut.

Daltech super bio belt, and slide the holder back to where comfortable, I've driven straight through to FL from IN comfortably with one of these rigs.
    Good to know and yea that’s extremely impressive, I’ll definitely looks into that because I do quite a bit of driving

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    365s are easy to change out grip modules as well, and lots of great choices now that Wilson Combat has released theirs for the 365. Can easily use an XL length module with a standard 365, etc.
    Again good to know I haven’t looked into aftermarket parts for them very much but that sounds like it might make it a bit more functional

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    thats great to know and kind of understand how you’re using your different setups, i will definitely keep that in mind going forward, any chance you’ve been able to do a Sig vs Glock concealment comparison?
    I've carried Sigs, Glocks, CZs, 1911s and others. All carry and conceal about the same. The difference comes in based on holsters. For EDC concealed, I like a good holster with a bit of a forward cant and the grip up tight against my side.

A compact length barrel conceals a bit better and is a bit more comfortable for me. You generally get what you pay for with holsters but not always. Galco can be good but I've had a few that sucked.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Everything is going to feel weird at first. You are going to want to keep feeling of the pistol, pulling up on your belt, pulling down on your shirt. We all went through it. You will feel like everyone is noticing it. Truth is most likely the only people that will notice are other guys like us and maybe a few bad guys. The sheep in between walk around in a daze and have no clue what is going on around them.Try to carry all of the time and concentrate on not fiddling with it. It won't be long and you won't even think about it being there.

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana
    I've carried Sigs, Glocks, CZs, 1911s and others. All carry and conceal about the same. The difference comes in based on holsters. For EDC concealed, I like a good holster with a bit of a forward cant and the grip up tight against my side.

A compact length barrel conceals a bit better and is a bit more comfortable for me. You generally get what you pay for with holsters but not always. Galco can be good but I've had a few that sucked.
    I’ll keep that in mind while looking and yea I’m not sure about the barrel length of the 365x but I’ll definitely make sure it’s not too long before making a decision

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This will be my first time and I’m trying my best to find something functional and comfortable the first time even if it’s not the best, just something I can run for a while
    Please make sure you know the legal side of where/when you can/can't carry.

I'd also highly recommend you find some training.

I'm glad you're taking the personal responsibility to protect yourself. But just strapping on a gun is a VERY small part of this.

Top Bottom