• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Let me give you a scenario. You're in a bank and two men with guns walk in. You are open carrying. They see the gun and you get two in the back before you can even react. Even if they don't shoot you, you may be forced to act to save your life.

Now let's say you're carrying concealed, they walk in, don't see anyone with guns so they don't shoot. You are now the one with the choice whether to use your weapon or not. Maybe you don't even need to use it.

Printing issues aside, open carrying presents more problems than it solves and forces you to up your level of situational awareness (not that you shouldn't be far more aware than the people who are not carrying around you).

Or, two guys go in to a bank set on robbing it, see that you are armed and decide to either wait until you leave or go to a different bank.

You can play the bull:poop: scenario what if games all day long. If you don't like OC, don't do it. If you prefer it, do it. JFC!!

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    Or, two guys go in to a bank set on robbing it, see that you are armed and decide to either wait until you leave or go to a different bank.

You can play the bull:poop: scenario what if games all day long. If you don't like OC, don't do it. If you prefer it, do it. JFC!!

Maybe... I'd rather have as much advantage as possible though. For me, that means concealed all "BS scenarios" aside... Plan and prepare for the worst. :draw:

I will say this though, with all the recent news of people being stopped for carrying legally and etc, id rather avoid unneeded attention. I've got Sh*t to do. lol

Last edited:

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    People still go into banks?

But seriously, you're much more likely to get hit by a car leaving the bank or convenience store than you are too get shot during a robbery just because you are OC'ing. There is just no statistical evidence that this type of thing happens with any frequency.

Well, if you want to base how you carry off of statistical evidence then why carry at all? Statistically you are less likely to have to use your gun to defend yourself than you are to get in a car accident. Of course, we still carry for the "what if" scenario. :P I was just doing what I can to throw a little :twocents: of my own into the fray.

I could be completely wrong and often times are, but... You've gotta admit there is a LITTLE bit of rationale.

By the way, I still go in to banks. I value face time with the people managing my money... :D

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I'm with you.not saying my 3.8 xdm is too big,is just bidet than I want to deal with.. i'd much rather carry
    xds and not have the issues that come with the longer grip and thickness.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Carry what is most comfortable for you and what you shoot best with. It's funny to think of how many times I checked the mirror to see if my "purse pistol" was printing only to transition to full-time large-frame OC and realize that ALMOST NO ONE NOTICES.

Most people are not situationally aware and wouldn't notice unless you had a chrome Desert Eagle on a drop-leg platform and only if that was the leg facing them. Most people that will notice, are people like us... and we're just happy to see a fellow armed citizen... and maybe wondering what you're carrying and how much your rig costs.

Be comfortable. Be smooth with it. Glad you're carrying, too.:yesway:

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    Carry what is most comfortable for you and what you shoot best with. It's funny to think of how many times I checked the mirror to see if my "purse pistol" was printing only to transition to full-time large-frame OC and realize that ALMOST NO ONE NOTICES.

Most people are not situationally aware and wouldn't notice unless you had a chrome Desert Eagle on a drop-leg platform and only if that was the leg facing them. Most people that will notice, are people like us... and we're just happy to see a fellow armed citizen... and maybe wondering what you're carrying and how much your rig costs.

Be comfortable. Be smooth with it. Glad you're carrying, too.:yesway:

Well said. :P

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Have you tried adjusting your Super Tuck? There are four holes on each side and if you adjust the hooks and try every combination, you will find one or two where the gun pretty much disappears. It takes some time, but I believe it is well worth the effort to maximize concealment and ease your own concerns about printing.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    Have you tried adjusting your Super Tuck? There are four holes on each side and if you adjust the hooks and try every combination, you will find one or two where the gun pretty much disappears. It takes some time, but I believe it is well worth the effort to maximize concealment and ease your own concerns about printing.

While I haven't adjusted the hooks, I've tried carrying anywhere from the 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock positions to find the right balance of consistent drawing technique, comfort sitting / standing and printing . For me the 8 o'clock seems to work the best. The only problem I've found with moving it back from the 9 o'clock is that my shirts tends to come up and expose my piece more frequently when bending over or reaching up high.
    All and all though I'm becoming more comfortable carrying each time. Even the accidental exposures aren't bothering me as much.
    I did recently pick up an XDS 45 and have been getting comfortable shooting it. I've put Pierce grip extensions on all my mags. My Minituck for it should be in late this week to early next. So I'm stoked to carry it. I do wish though I would have requested a magazine holder be added on the holster. 5 shots go fast when I've been use to the 19 rnds that my XDM 9 holds. Maybe I'll order some Kydex and see what I can come up with myself.
    Anyone know where to get the type of rivets that Crossbreed uses on their holsters?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ugh this is not a Hollywood movie. Most bank robbers are note sliders.

They could also just run into the bank and shoot everyone just because.... does that mean you wont go into a bank anymore? How many convenience store robbers shoot the clerk after robbing them, just because? We hear that happening all the time.

The armed uniformed guards don't even get killed in most bank robberies...

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Avoiding the OC/CC debate ...

Being relatively new to carrying in any fashion, I started small -- Kel-Tec PF-9, then moved to an equally small Sig P938. Unfortunately, I decided that it would be infinitely more beneficial to carry what I train with, which is normally a Sig P226.

I tried several different IWB holsters and discovered that, unless and until I lose my love handles, IWB carry just isn't for me. Fine.

So, I invested in a quality OWB holster and adjusted it to that sweet spot that allows me to carry OWB concealed with very little printing. MY EDC now is either the P226 or a G17.

I used to worry about printing, but then consoled myself by discovering, as others have already posted, that most people don't pay enough attention to notice if I'm carrying. And, for the rare one who might and ask about it, I've decided to say, "Oh, that's my colostomy bag -- wanna see it?" :D :D :D

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Honestly, I've been looking at people's waists to see If I can tell if they're carrying. I've been trying to judge if someone is carrying by the type of clothes they're wearing as well. All to no avail so far.

I also haven't seen anyone OC around my part of town (Broad Ripple) so not sure if most people around here are CC or not carrying at all.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    When I first started carrying, I carried CC and was vey self conscious about it, but no one ever noticed or said anything. I was carrying a CZ SP-01 Phantom. That's a full size gun, too.

Now that I OC, I can tell you that if you CC, no one will notice yours since almost all of the time, no one even notces my OC.

Just be comfortable, don't go adjusting it constantly and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and only criminals hide their guns;).

MMcarriesaSR9c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Congrats on getting to carry. Still awaiting my LTCH. Just purchased a XDs 9MM. I think it will be the perfect CC gun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I now carry in an OWB. It makes it a bit more comfortable but the reason is accessability. I also now usually wear button down shirts either with jeans or shorts. I think I went past "printing" awhile ago. With an extended magazine the basepad sticks out like I have a third arm starting to grow from my right kidney. I don't care and neither does anyone else. I have yet to have anyone say a word to me. Even when my shirt somehow gets caught and the gun is there for all to see. No one says a word. Let the sheep continue to graze and be about your business.

Top Bottom