• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think Wentz is slightly better than an average QB. He’s not top 10. He’s not bottom half either. He’s got all of the physical tools to be elite but lacks some of the mental traits to go along with that. He’ll have really good games. He’ll have really bad games.

The Colts just have to decide if that’s what they want as a franchise QB.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    My only issue with Wentz going into this year was his tendency to run backwards and lose yards. I think he did a good job of not doing that this year.

The problem the Colts have to solve is mainly on the receiver / TE side. Wentz is not a naturally accurate thrower, but he gets the ball in the area. The Colts need TE's and Receivers that bring the ball in, period.

I compare him to John Elway and only because I watched Elway when I lived in Denver for several years. He tossed rockets, but his pass catchers were vacuum cleaners and sucked in everything. The Colts need these types of pass catchers if they are going to stick with Wentz.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I'm late to the party but have a question. When a team wins tough games against quality opponents (like the Colts did) then drop what should have been a certain win (Jags). Is this not on the coach for not having the team ready to play?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm late to the party but have a question. When a team wins tough games against quality opponents (like the Colts did) then drop what should have been a certain win (Jags). Is this not on the coach for not having the team ready to play?
    Play calling is a definite factor here.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Everyone takes some blame for the Jags loss. Ballard. Reich. Wentz. Eberflus. All 7 of our pro bowlers.

Honest question, what percentage of player execution is the result of the coach, good or bad? Specifically execution. If a quarterback makes a good throw, how much of the credit goes to the coach? Is it 50/50? 75/25?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think Wentz is slightly better than an average QB. He’s not top 10. He’s not bottom half either. He’s got all of the physical tools to be elite but lacks some of the mental traits to go along with that. He’ll have really good games. He’ll have really bad games.

The Colts just have to decide if that’s what they want as a franchise QB.
    With apologies to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...

"When he was good,
    He was very very good
    But when he was bad
    He was horrid."

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Also worth noting, just because the Colts have a need at QB doesn’t necessarily mean that free agency and/or the draft will accommodate that need. Basically, there may not actually be a better QB option available next season.

That may not be what the fan base wants to hear, but that is the reality.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Everyone takes some blame for the Jags loss. Ballard. Reich. Wentz. Eberflus. All 7 of our pro bowlers.

Honest question, what percentage of player execution is the result of the coach, good or bad? Specifically execution. If a quarterback makes a good throw, how much of the credit goes to the coach? Is it 50/50? 75/25?

Excellent point. A coach can prepare a team but it falls on the players to execute and capitalize on the field. Sure as we've all agreed Reich gets the blame for lame ineffective play calling. But dropped passes, poor blocking, bad throws, fumbles etc all falls on the players.

Unfortunately all too often the coach takes the fall for poor player execution. IMHO too many coaches take the fall for players failing to do to do thier jobs.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Besides the record book stuff Manning, Brady, and Brees were leaders in preparation excellence and demanded similar from their mates. Both in Philly and Indy, Wentz appears to me he lacks the leadership gravitas to make those demands. The Philly team really jelled around Foles and he led them to a SB, I don’t believe they would have won the SB with Wentz…

Last edited:

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    I ccan not add anything here.
    My Raiders are in.
    1 and done???? Possibly.
    Trying to figure out a bet that involves lunch but coming up empty.
    My Steelers are in thanks to your Raiders.
    I wonder how long the odds are against both of them surviving past their first games.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Take this with a grain of salt, but “per source”

Yet again, I`ll say, IMHO, Wentz is plenty fine. NO quarterback in the league can deliver the football when they`re being dragged down every drop back like a gazelle by a lion. Wentz is NOT the, or even A problem. This is a coaching problem. Period.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Steelers are in thanks to your Raiders.
    I wonder how long the odds are against both of them surviving past their first games.
    The steelers are an un-known to me but they seem to struggle in front of Big Ben. His days are numbered.
    Raiders are a wild card for sure. They seem to have jelled right on time.
    Gonna be an interesting weekend.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yesterday there was a post on running vs. pocket QB’s and a poster expressed a preference for a pocket style QB. The NFL has changed, pocket passers like Manning, Brady, Brees are done. The new prototype QB is Josh Allen. Take the Jags loss, if the pass or run is not there, Allen would rip off a 15 yard run. He is not a running QB but if the D can take away everything else he can run and open things up. saw him rush for near a hundred in a game where the defense bottled up everything else. If your QB can run then the D must commit a defender to stop the QB run.

CW cannot get out of his own way…
    No. Pocket passers are NOT done. And there are THREE types of quarterbacks, pocket passer, runing quarterback, and scrambling quarterbacks. Running quarterbacks don`t last long in the NFL, PERIOD. This has been proven time and time again. Pocket passing quarterbacks are the prototype QB in the league, and scrambling quarterbacks are throwbacks, to those like Fran Tarkington, and even Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham. Manning in his prime would STILL carve up any defense in the league today. Brady would too, assuming his coach still filmed opposing teams practices, deflated footballs, etc.

There`s a lot of room for opinion in this discussion, and my personal opinion is pocket passing quarterbacks and scrambling quarterbacks are still the gold standard for professional football.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yet again, I`ll say, IMHO, Wentz is plenty fine. NO quarterback in the league can deliver the football when they`re being dragged down every drop back like a gazelle by a lion. Wentz is NOT the, or even A problem. This is a coaching problem. Period.

Same coach for all four seasons. Luck and Rivers were really good. Wentz and Brissett were pretty average. You may have to click the Tweet to see the full breakdown of the stats.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    With apologies to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...

"When he was good,
    He was very very good
    But when he was bad
    He was horrid."
    The Colts football team is a LOT more than just Carson Wentz. He cannot/doesn`t win games all alone, and certainly doesn`t lose them all by himself either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom