• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ya’ll know I love me some stats and analytics. This one hurts. Oof.

For those that don’t know what DVOA is, it’s kinda your comparison versus the rest of the league. If a QB has a DVOA of +10%, he’s 10% better than the average QB.

Wentz this season was basically the same as 2019 Jacoby Brissett. Ouch.

Verification of what I believed to be happening…

Momentum is against CW right now…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yesterday there was a post on running vs. pocket QB’s and a poster expressed a preference for a pocket style QB. The NFL has changed, pocket passers like Manning, Brady, Brees are done. The new prototype QB is Josh Allen. Take the Jags loss, if the pass or run is not there, Allen would rip off a 15 yard run. He is not a running QB but if the D can take away everything else he can run and open things up. saw him rush for near a hundred in a game where the defense bottled up everything else. If your QB can run then the D must commit a defender to stop the QB run.

CW cannot get out of his own way…

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yesterday there was a post on running vs. pocket QB’s and a poster expressed a preference for a pocket style QB. The NFL has changed, pocket passers like Manning, Brady, Brees are done. The new prototype QB is Josh Allen. Take the Jags loss, if the pass or run is not there, Allen would rip off a 15 yard run. He is not a running QB but if the D can take away everything else he can run and open things up. saw him rush for near a hundred in a game where the defense bottled up everything else. If your QB can run then the D must commit a defender to stop the QB run.

Allen’s and Wentz’s measurables. See if you can tell them apart.

QB1 - 6’5”, 238lbs, 40 yard dash: 4.76

QB2 - 6’5”, 237lbs, 40 yard dash: 4.77

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

So why cant Wentz do what Allen can do?

Do you think Wentz could ever pop a 100 on a team rushing?

And it sure doesn’t look like that on the field…

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So why cant Wentz do what Allen can do?

Do you think Wentz could ever pop a 100 on a team rushing?

And it sure doesn’t look like that on the field…

Even if he could, would you want him too?Personally I don’t want my QB running that much. Too much risk. I just want my QB mobile enough to occasionally escape pressure.

Lest we forget, it was Wentz scrambling for a TD that causes his ACL to get blown up his rookie season.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Even if he could, would you want him too?Personally I don’t want my QB running that much. Too much risk. I just want my QB mobile enough to occasionally escape pressure.

Lest we forget, it was Wentz scrambling for a TD that causes his ACL to get blown up his rookie season.
    So while he seems to meet the tape measure stats he just doesn't perform that well on the field in big games. And ALL QB’s will need to run some as we move forward because it occupies one defensive player and that can open up rushing lanes or free up receivers…

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So while he seems to meet the tape measure stats he just doesn't perform that well on the field in big games.

I don’t think it’s that simple. How much of Buffalo’s offense is designed QB runs compared to our offense? Was Wentz’s off-season foot injury still affecting him later in the season?There’s so many other factors.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I think pocket passers still have a place in the NFL. However, I think it takes creativity to make the D use a more man to man coverage by having more real WR threats. But when they know most of the WR's are average, nobody stands out. The stand out play maker was JT. As the season went on and they pushed to try and get into the playoffs, it became more evident.
    Stopping the run and constantly overwhelming the O line with a QB with heavy feet proved crippling. He doesn't move well, and isn't that good at throwing on the run or scrambling to get away from a rushing D line. Both the Raiders and Jacksonville proved that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

But, I think there is a big difference between running a straight line as fast as you can, and having quick feet to dance around in the pocket and to move away from defenders.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Never seen anything like this. Both teams can make playoffs with tie.

But Raiders kick FG as time expires..

Raiders and Steelers in…
    Fortunately for us Steelers fans, Al Davis never said:

"Just tie, baby!"

Now, we have about as much chance of beating the Chiefs on Sunday night as we did of beating the Colts on 15 January 2006 . . .

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    But, I think there is a big difference between running a straight line as fast as you can, and having quick feet to dance around in the pocket and to move away from defenders.

I don’t think Wentz’s athleticism is his problem. He’s a volatile quarterback. His high’s are MVP level but his low’s are not good.

Kinda the opposite of Rivers. Rivers’ ceiling wasn’t high but his floor wasn’t as low either.

Unfortunately I just think that’s who he is. Wentz is amazingly talented but he’s just too inconsistent to be trusted as your franchise guy.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think it’s that simple. How much of Buffalo’s offense is designed QB runs compared to our offense? Was Wentz’s off-season foot injury still affecting him later in the season?There’s so many other factors.
    Maybe he does still have some lingering foot pain. I don't think he was able to move around as well as Allen or Mahomes etc before he hurt his foot

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think Wentz’s athleticism is his problem. He’s a volatile quarterback. His high’s are MVP level but his low’s are not good.

Kinda the opposite of Rivers. Rivers’ ceiling wasn’t high but his floor wasn’t as low either.

Unfortunately I just think that’s who he is. Wentz is amazingly talented but he’s just too inconsistent to be trusted as your franchise guy.
    Stats are fine & dandy, but that's why the games are played on the field not on paper.

I will certainly agree that he has a lot of talent but he's just too inconsistent to be trusted.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Stats are fine & dandy, but that's why the games are played on the field not on paper.

I will certainly agree that he has a lot of talent but he's just too inconsistent to be trusted.

Agreed.

Also, the eye test can be deceiving. Yes he was bad on Sunday, but he was very good against Tampa and San Francisco and several other games. Stats aren’t perfect but they help to codify the season as a whole.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom