• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Colts signed WR Devin Funchess from the Panthers. I think they’re hoping for an Eric Ebron type situation. Freak athlete high draft pick that was kind’ve a bust in their first home. Maybe resurrect their career here.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Colts signed WR Devin Funchess from the Panthers. I think they’re hoping for an Eric Ebron type situation. Freak athlete high draft pick that was kind’ve a bust in their first home. Maybe resurrect their career here.

I think it’s a good move by Ballard. Cheap 1 year prove it contract with a guy who has had problems with drops. Very similar to Ebron when he was up north. Freakish skills but lack of concentration or something else resulting in drops. If it pans out it will be another great pick up.

I am so happy they didn’t chase AB and pretty sure they’re not going to go after Leveon Bell either. Love that they’re building a culture here. That’s why the pats have been so dominant the past decade. It’s not about individual players. It’s about the team and the system. Feeling really good about where the boys are heading.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Now if they can just land CJ Mosley and Landon Collins(who we should have had all along)
    Nope. Both landed huge $ contracts in free agency and I’m thrilled the colts aren’t chasing. Good players but Mosley isn’t worth 85M (51m guaranteed. ). Collins is a beast but he too isn’t worth chasing. So happy with our GM that is looking to find cheap FAs and build through the draft.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    These players aren't worth $15M+ for the most part.
    There's a guy out of the Steelers (26) that can make that kind of money reasonable.
    Ballard will build in house if he can. He's got patience and his short track record in Indy tells me he knows what he's doing.
    Fuenches makes sense given his height. Still seems like too much moolah but it's a seller's market right now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ouch! I'm seeing 9-7 next year. If Texans & Titans have as tough a schedule then maybe a tie breaker gets the Colts into the playoffs again.

All teams in the same division have the same schedule except for each team has 2 games that are against other teams that placed at the same position in their division last year.

Strength of schedule rankings for 2019 season are out. Colts have the 7th hardest schedule. 2nd easiest schedule? Patriots... because of course it is.

There is a predetermined schedule plan laid out that rotates, every season, the AFC South plays each other at home and away, they also play all the teams of one other AFC division and one NFC division. Then as above each team is assigned two other teams of equal division finish the past season. There is little chance of favoritism in the schedule as only two games are decided by humans as the rest are part of the rotating formula.

The part humans do decide is home or away for the ten non division games.

The Colts 2019 schedule is tough because the rotation this year includes tougher divisions than last season did.

Strength of schedule projections are a folly because they use 2018 success to predict 2019 outcomes. In a league averaging 33% of playoff teams did not make the playoffs the previous season, these projections are meaningless.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    ^^^Exactly. The Patriots always have one of the easiest schedules, but it is because they always play home and away against the other teams in their division, which always sucks. The problem isn't favoritism, it is the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There is a predetermined schedule plan laid out that rotates, every season, the AFC South plays each other at home and away, they also play all the teams of one other AFC division and one NFC division. Then as above each team is assigned two other teams of equal division finish the past season. There is little chance of favoritism in the schedule as only two games are decided by humans as the rest are part of the rotating formula.

The part humans do decide is home or away for the ten non division games.

The Colts 2019 schedule is tough because the rotation this year includes tougher divisions than last season did.

Strength of schedule projections are a folly because they use 2018 success to predict 2019 outcomes. In a league averaging 33% of playoff teams did not make the playoffs the previous season, these projections are meaningless.

Yeah I know how the schedules work. Colts were a beneficiary of a weak division for a long time too. It was just more like “yeah of course it is, like they need the help.”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah I know how the schedules work. Colts were a beneficiary of a weak division for a long time too. It was just more like “yeah of course it is, like they need the help.”

It is really a boost to have a weak division where a team has a reasonable expectation to win 5 of 6 division games if coupled with one of the other divisions opponents being weak you are easily at 9 wins and a likely playoff berth. The Pats have had the good fortune to play in a very weak division, but have been good enough to make the most of the opportunity and winning 10 straight division titles. The Colts also had the same fortune in their division but fell into the muck instead of rising above it.

They have turned the corner to be a much better team and now have leadership, possibly the best leadership we have had, particularly Ballard.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Nope. Both landed huge $ contracts in free agency and I’m thrilled the colts aren’t chasing. Good players but Mosley isn’t worth 85M (51m guaranteed. ). Collins is a beast but he too isn’t worth chasing. So happy with our GM that is looking to find cheap FAs and build through the draft.

I hadn't seen the news that they both got signed and after seeing what they both went for I'm glad we didn't get too deep into the mix.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Week 1: at Los Angeles Chargers (Sept. 8, 4:05 p.m.)
    Week 2: at Tennessee Titans (Sept. 15, 1:00 p.m.)
    Week 3: vs. Atlanta Falcons (Sept. 22, 1:00 p.m.)
    Week 4: vs. Oakland Raiders (Sept. 29, 1:00 p.m.)
    Week 5: at Kansas City Chiefs (Oct. 6, 8:20 p.m.)
    Week 6: BYE
    Week 7: vs. Houston Texans (Oct. 20, 1:00 p.m.)
    Week 8: vs. Denver Broncos (Oct. 27, 4:25 p.m.)
    Week 9: at Pittsburgh Steelers (Nov. 3, 1:00 p.m.)
    Week 10: vs. Miami Dolphins (Nov. 10, 4:05 p.m.)
    Week 11: vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (Nov. 17, 1:00 p.m.)
    Week 12: at Houston Texans (Nov. 21, 8:20 p.m.)*
    Week 13: vs. Tennessee Titans (Dec. 1, 1:00 p.m.)*
    Week 14: at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Dec. 1, 1:00)*
    Week 15: at New Orleans Saints (Dec. 16, 8:15 p.m.)*
    Week 16: vs. Carolina Panthers (Dec. 22, 1:00)*
    Week 17: at Jacksonville Jaguars (Dec. 29, 1:00)*
    Games marked with an asterik are subject to potential flex scheduling and time changes

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My prediction: they go 7 of 8 at home, and go .500 on the road. Finish the season 11-5, probably win the AFC South and get the 3rd seed.

Best case: they win a couple more of those tough road games and challenge New England/Kansas City for the 1 or 2 seed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My prediction: they go 7 of 8 at home, and go .500 on the road. Finish the season 11-5, probably win the AFC South and get the 3rd seed.

Best case: they win a couple more of those tough road games and challenge New England/Kansas City for the 1 or 2 seed.

This is a tougher schedule than last year. Playoff team schedule is always tougher unless you're the Patriots.
    10-6 is doable... 11-5 is also doable.
    I like the Colts chances this coming year. HOWEVER... every team strives to be better.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Aaaaand they traded away their first-round pick for Washington’s 2nd rounder and a 2020 2nd rounder.

It’d be interesting to see if they passed up a player that turns into a Pro-Bowler.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom