Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is a tougher schedule than last year. Playoff team schedule is always tougher unless you're the Patriots.
    10-6 is doable... 11-5 is also doable.
    I like the Colts chances this coming year. HOWEVER... every team strives to be better.

With the scheduling changes from about a decade ago, this is really a misnomer now. Every team in a given division plays 14 identical games: 6 in-division, 4 against a common in-conference division, and 4 against a common cross-conference division. (And the intra- and inter-conference division matchups are determined according to a defined rotation.) At most, prior season results can impact 2 out of 16 games.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm not understanding the Banogu pick... seems like a big reach where the Colts took him.

He's a pass-rusher - and a very good one. The Colts need pass rushers, and they drafted him to be a pass-rusher, not a linebacker. Ballard says that they anticipate using him in multiple positions, but it wouldn't surprise me if that meant pass-rushing DE in 4-3 and pass-rushing OLB in 3-4.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All teams in the same division have the same schedule except for each team has 2 games that are against other teams that placed at the same position in their division last year.

There is a predetermined schedule plan laid out that rotates, every season, the AFC South plays each other at home and away, they also play all the teams of one other AFC division and one NFC division. Then as above each team is assigned two other teams of equal division finish the past season. There is little chance of favoritism in the schedule as only two games are decided by humans as the rest are part of the rotating formula.

The part humans do decide is home or away for the ten non division games.

The Colts 2019 schedule is tough because the rotation this year includes tougher divisions than last season did.

Strength of schedule projections are a folly because they use 2018 success to predict 2019 outcomes. In a league averaging 33% of playoff teams did not make the playoffs the previous season, these projections are meaningless.

With the scheduling changes from about a decade ago, this is really a misnomer now. Every team in a given division plays 14 identical games: 6 in-division, 4 against a common in-conference division, and 4 against a common cross-conference division. (And the intra- and inter-conference division matchups are determined according to a defined rotation.) At most, prior season results can impact 2 out of 16 games.

It really is a misnomer that lives on.

My take is the Colts will be a better team this season than last, BUT, record is not an accurate measure of how good a team is, and their record will not be better than last season. However, I also believe they will be a better playoff team.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It really is a misnomer that lives on.

My take is the Colts will be a better team this season than last, BUT, record is not an accurate measure of how good a team is, and their record will not be better than last season. However, I also believe they will be a better playoff team.

People either don't realize, or seem to forget, just how good a 10-6 team is. Perhaps it is because we were totally spoiled by all of the 12-4 years under Manning.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Now that the FA frenzy and draft are over, I think the Colts improved.

I do not think many playoff teams improved. The Pats have improved. KC has had bad luck with good players and have gone the other way as a team, it will be interesting to see if Mahomes can pick it up when the team fall off.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are you ready for some football?!?! :rockwoot:

I know, it's just pre-season but still... I just hope I can stay awake until halftime. Got a feeling the game will be watching me eventually. :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom