• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    About 10:00 this morning both dogs went bonkers at the back patio door. Standing about 4 feet away on my patio was one of the coldest and sorriest looking foxes I have seen. It was obvious the fox knew we were there, about 4 feet away but he was trying to find some bread scraps the wife tossed out earlier for the wild birds. I live on 3 acres within the Fort Wayne city limits and we see fox all the time. This is the closest visit we've had so far. This guy had snow matted on his muzzle and ears.

All I had was my cell phone so this is the best I could do.

coldfox.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sakes!
    That poor guy's facial fur makes me wonder if he can see much of anything at all.
    Are you sure that he doesn't have a severe case of mange around the face or some other kind of extreme infection?
    I'd like to hope this little fellow can make it, but by the looks of him, I really have my doubts.
    My dad dispatched a fox with a terrible case of mange and a broken foot from a legohold trap years ago.
    Really did that poor dog a favor, 'cause he was suffering in a bad way.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sad condition, don't see them much here in the forest, the other predators make life tough for them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think I would have shot it as well. It just doesn't look healthy.

I have a nice fluffy one on my trail camera from 1:30 this morning...feisty little critter was catching mice out in the orchard.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sakes!
    That poor guy's facial fur makes me wonder if he can see much of anything at all.
    Are you sure that he doesn't have a severe case of mange around the face or some other kind of extreme infection?
    I'd like to hope this little fellow can make it, but by the looks of him, I really have my doubts.
    My dad dispatched a fox with a terrible case of mange and a broken foot from a legohold trap years ago.
    Really did that poor dog a favor, 'cause he was suffering in a bad way.

It's snow on the muzzle. It's matted like that because he's been nosing around in the snow for food. I think he has a good chance of making it.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fox Update

I had the dogs out in the fenced in area about noon today and they again started going crazy. The fox from yesterday was working his way slowly back to the patio, the bread chunks and the bowl of food I put out. He was following the scent right up to the source of the food. He ignored me and the dogs and came right up to the food. He was only about 8 feet away from the dogs and about 30 feet away from me. As he concentrated on the food I made my way to within 15 feet or so. The snow and ice that was matted on his muzzle had melted and the rest of his fur was fluffed out more than yesterday.

My wife was inside watching from the patio door (she heard the dogs going nuts). She said she has been watching a mother fox with two kits all summer and this looks like one of the kits. If so, it was his first winter and he's probably having a rough time right now. I've hunted and trapped fox years ago and know what mange looks like. This guy had no signs of mange, he was just malnourished and matted up yesterday. If he can make it through the next month or so, he should be ok.

I have a 12' x 20' car canopy out back stacked full of cut and split firewood. When we had heavy rains and snow, the fox (3 of them) would climb up on the firewood and lay under the canopy to keep dry. I've been thinking about building them an insulated, dry shelter down by the creek, but I don't know if they would use it. It wouldn't cost much since I have all kinds of material to construct it so I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I strongly suspect he's having trouble finding/making shelter. With the story about mama and the kits in the woodshed, I suspect either she was poor at it too, or they've been under competitive pressure from other fox or coyotes. Glad to see the little fellah found your chow. He'll probably be ok now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Really glad to hear that it was only ice and snow making his muzzle look like that, and that it melted.
    It's especially cool hearing from someone who has hunted fox decide to cut one a break on other occasions.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Who wouldn't want a fox hanging around during colder months? They're good at catching other animals that may want to take up residence in your home.

Great point there.
    That's the same reason why my folks allowed a skunk to make his den under their yard barn some years ago.
    The mice and rats suddenly were scarce the whole time that he was doing that.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Fox are typically very illusive, so he must have been feeling really bad to approach that close. I'd have given the little beggar something to eat for sure.

But I've always had a soft spot for stray critters:

DSC_1088Large-1.jpg

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're a good man Dave. :yesway:

I believe I saw a gray fox dart across Union Chapel Rd. a couple of days ago. It certainly looked more fox than coyote.

Top Bottom