• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    When my MIL died, she had a small box in her safe deposit box that had a fair amount of coins in it. Neither the wife or I are “coin collector” people, so we have no idea of their value, if any at all other than face value. A ziploc eack of quarters, half dollars, and silver dollars. A few silver rounds etc. some of the coins are obviously silver, but most of them I don’t know. Also a few sleeves of new nickels for some reason. I have no idea why she kept them. Where would a person go to get someone to look at it and see if there is any value, or is it just a weird collection of random change?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Coin shops are a possibility, more so if you have a good rapport with them. Get a copy of The Official Red book, about $20, to do a little research on your own. Don’t rush. Any coin greater than a nickle older than 1964 should be 90% silver.
    1707625734510.jpeg

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    You can get an idea of value each from the internet.
    Yeah I have been looking. The problem is that when you know nothing about a subject, it is slow going. Lots of the jargon is foreign to me, so I have to learn a new language! I know some of them are partially silver, the Kennedy half dollars are all 67,68, and 69. I think those are 40%, but am not sure. When they get into what makes coins valuable from a collector standpoint, they lose me in the details. No rush for us, we don’t plan to do anything with them. More of a curiosity.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When my MIL died, she had a small box in her safe deposit box that had a fair amount of coins in it. Neither the wife or I are “coin collector” people, so we have no idea of their value, if any at all other than face value. A ziploc eack of quarters, half dollars, and silver dollars. A few silver rounds etc. some of the coins are obviously silver, but most of them I don’t know. Also a few sleeves of new nickels for some reason. I have no idea why she kept them. Where would a person go to get someone to look at it and see if there is any value, or is it just a weird collection of random change?
    When my grandparents passed they had a bunch of coins, other than the silver dollars they were nothing special. Why did they keep them? They lived through the depression, I heard the 5 cent beefsteak so tough you could barely eat it, but she didn’t have a nickel to buy it story hundreds of times. The old folks liked to save those coins.

Then the they lived through the Kennedy assignation and that generation often collected the half dollars as if they were valuable but most were not even 90% silver. As a rule of thumb, learned dealing with several family estates, if they were not wealthy, they rarely have extremely valuable items. Not that you shouldn’t check, but just a reality check, though there are exceptions.

Good luck…

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When my brother died last year we had to get rid of all of his possessions. He was an avid coin collector and had thousands of coins in safes. He bought a lot of coins and sets directly from the US Mints and various coin shows. We’ve sold a great deal of the newer boxed Mint stuff but still have quite a bit of older coins left. I also have 4 large Tupperware containers full of America The Beautiful Quarters in rolls that I need to sell.
    Besides trying to determine prices finding someone that is willing to pay a fair price was very difficult. You guys think dealing with gun shops and gun show dealers is rough just try coins!!! Good Luck

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Doubly difficult when the entirety of what you know on a subject was gleaned from various websites in the last year! The various grades, mint marks, “imperfections”, etc is a lot. I can see how this would be an area where someone could easily get taken advantage of. I doubt hers are anything valuable. She wasn’t rich, just worked at a bank u til she was 75 and apparently collected this small stash for some reason. We have no intention of getting rid of it anyways. Interesting what people stash away that was important to them. My kids and grandkids will have a heck of a time trying to figure out why I have some of the stuff I do! It will be my last laugh.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The difference between numi’s (numismatics/ collectibles) and junk silver (old coins) is minuscule, the depth to which the mint mark is rubbed for instance. This tiny difference can be hundreds and in rare cases thousands of dollars.

If you truly want to find the real value of your coins, find a good appraiser that you trust impeccably. Expect to pay a fee. Then have them appraised, be aware of any coins he offers to buy.

At this point in our history all precious / simi-precious metals “Will“ go up in value. They may look like a roller coaster when viewed on a daily schedule, but look at a decade long schedule or even better a century schedule they will go up. Keeping up or passing the rate of inflation. I have said many times on INGO metals are not a short term investment they are a long term storage of wealth. You only have to compare what your MIL payed for the coins in her day, compared to what they are worth today.

As an aside nickel is a hi demand metal right now, I can assure you it will go much higher in the future, I expect the US gov to soon change the coin to b. s. stuff. I wished I had spent the money on copper pennies in the 70’s 80’s that I spent on silver and gold. I bought silver at 2 bucks. And gold at 300+. If that tells you anything. Please check out coinflation.com you should find that a nickel today has a value of 7.5 cents, that was several months ago. I think everyone should be keeping all nickels they can get their hands on. Of course JMO

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Doubly difficult when the entirety of what you know on a subject was gleaned from various websites in the last year! The various grades, mint marks, “imperfections”, etc is a lot. I can see how this would be an area where someone could easily get taken advantage of. I doubt hers are anything valuable. She wasn’t rich, just worked at a bank u til she was 75 and apparently collected this small stash for some reason. We have no intention of getting rid of it anyways. Interesting what people stash away that was important to them. My kids and grandkids will have a heck of a time trying to figure out why I have some of the stuff I do! It will be my last laugh.
    I took note of this post. While your MIL worked in a bank and someone came into it with a deposit to put in the bank for the day. And if she saw a silver quarter in the change for instance. She could exchange that silver quarter for one she had in her purse and have a silver quarter that is worth 6-7 bucks of today’s money. She could do it legally, I know the lady’s do it for me at my local bank. I’ve bought many dollars of real silver because the lady’s know me and they watch out for those things.

I personally know a guy that has worked for decades in the coin counting room for a vending company, he takes roles of coins to work, the coin counting machine kicks out the silver coins because they aren’t magnetic. He exchanges them. How much money has he made in 30 years? Just a passing thought.

I do realize this doesn’t have a darn thing to do with your OP. But I thought it might be something you may find interesting. What will the value of those old coins have to your children? Could they help them someday?

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Coin shops are a possibility, more so if you have a good rapport with them. Get a copy of The Official Red book, about $20, to do a little research on your own. Don’t rush. Any coin greater than a nickle older than 1964 should be 90% silver.
    View attachment 332066
    This book would be excellent starting place. See if it's at your local library, even an older copy would be of benefit.

Top Bottom