Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Hand cranked conical burr grinder.
    French press.

Beans are stored in a paper bag which is then put inside a zip lock plastic bag.

Sometimes I come across beans I don't get often. I vac-pac these in 1/4 to 1/2 lb quantities and store them in. cool, dry, dark cabinet.

Starbucks sucks.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The freezer is very, very bad for freshly roasted beans.
    There is nothing inherently bad about freezing coffee beans. The damage is done if you open a container of frozen/cold coffee which causes condensation of moisture on the beans/grinds. As long as freezing/thawing are done properly (and in small batches) it is fine to freeze it. Do not open the container until fully at room temperature is the key.

We’ve all heard the familiar conflicting statements:
    • “You shouldn’t freeze your specialty coffee beans because it degrades the quality.”
    • “You should freeze your coffee beans to keep them fresher and maintain the flavor longer.”
    • “You shouldn’t freeze your coffee beans because they will absorb moisture and the odors of other foods in the freezer.”
    • “You should freeze your coffee beans because frozen beans produce a more uniform grind.”
    What is a coffee lover to do?

The short answer is that yes, there are benefits to freezing your beans, but there are steps you can take to do it the best way, in order to preserve as much flavor and quality as possible.

You might also be interested to know that a 2018 study found that grinding the beans while they are still frozen yields a more uniform grind size, giving particles that are mostly similar in size rather than particles that are variable size.
    I'm not sure I would grind my beans while frozen since I can't use it all at one time by myself but may be viable if there are several coffee drinkers in the household.

If you are going to freeze your coffee beans, there is a right way to do it
    use airtight storage containers or bags, and you can even vacuum seal your container. This will prevent moisture, oxygen, and odors from other freezer food from coming in contact with your coffee beans and causing degradation or producing undesirable flavors.
    allow the beans to defrost or thaw before opening. A good way of doing this is to allow them to defrost overnight,

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There is nothing inherently bad about freezing coffee beans. The damage is done if you open a container of frozen/cold coffee which causes condensation of moisture on the beans/grinds. As long as freezing/thawing are done properly (and in small batches) it is fine to freeze it. Do not open the container until fully at room temperature is the key.

I'm not sure I would grind my beans while frozen since I can't use it all at one time by myself but may be viable if there are several coffee drinkers in the household.
    Yes, very good point. I suppose I was assuming opening/closing the package. Much less concern if starting with an unopened package with no ambient moisture having gotten into it.

But then, why buy it only to freeze it? Just buy it as-needed, especially if you're getting it freshly roasted.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yes, very good point. I suppose I was assuming opening/closing the package. Much less concern if starting with an unopened package with no ambient moisture having gotten into it.

But then, why buy it only to freeze it? Just buy it as-needed, especially if you're getting it freshly roasted.
    Smaller portions are disproportionately more expensive (usually). I normally buy in bulk, then vacuum pack quarter pound portions and thaw as needed.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I enjoy the Sumatran coffee beans best. Wife calls it cat **** coffee.
    She will drink instant coffee (I will in a pinch like SHTF). I have instant packets in my car/minute man rig/get home bag ect. Coffee is coffee if you have an addiction.

I drink far too much coffee to be called a coffee snob. I stocked up really well on cheap coffee back when prices were low. 5.99/6.99 48/51 ounce plastic sealed Folgers classic roast which it seems I am now down to a couple of buckets left. Cheap black and decker dip maker. That heads up about the failing coffee crop in Brazil saved lots of cash. That’s cheap not snobbish

When others come over I have a keurig rig with a bunch of pods to choose from. Convenient and classy they say. I will admit it makes a nice quick cup of coffee.

If you have not had a coffee at White Castle try one.

looking for better on the go options for travel and camping fishing situations but the local convenience store or White Castle can get me by. Have had some done with a jet boil and unknown device that was very noteworthy and quick.

I have an old grinder that is hand and works well but is old and heavy. I would say it is pre depression era grinder so it works but talk about something over built and heavy.

I could use some opinions of that jet boil mobile method and I need to invest in a real coffee dip machine. Mobile once again is for driving long distance and needs to be kinda quick and cheap And light weight and small sized.

Bzikot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2022
    Allen County
    I used to grind my own but, family got tired of hearing it at 3 am when I am leaving for work. I would have never guessed how much better a fresh roasted coffee is over the stuff in the store

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I used to grind my own but, family got tired of hearing it at 3 am when I am leaving for work. I would have never guessed how much better a fresh roasted coffee is over the stuff in the store
    I prep mine the night before, you could always do that.

My dad grinds 3 days of beans at a time so he doesn’t have to grind as often. :dunno:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    :coffee: good coffee morning all. I'll be back to add details when I remember them, but my sister turned me on to great coffee at a family get-together, and I tried to duplicate the results at my house only to find out that the water makes a big difference.

At my folks place in Alabama, they have magnificent well water. That, combined with some quality beans, made the best coffee I ever had. When I tried it with my well water, that goes through a softener to take out the iron, it wasn't nearly as good, even with the same beans and grinder.

So what do y'all use for water?

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Discuss all things coffee.

Question from another thread for the whole bean crowd.

1. Which grinder do you use?
    2. How do you store your beans? And for how long?

I'm using a Baratza Encore grinder with a Aeropress to brew a single cup of coffee. I'm using Invader Coffee, Black Heart Blend. I store the beans in the bag it came in, which is a pretty decent resealable bag, in the cabinet. I usually use it for a couple weeks. It's definitely better in the first week. I might have to try a local roaster, as I don't believe Invader Coffee roasts their coffee fresh and isn't a roast date on the bag that I've found.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    :coffee: good coffee morning all. I'll be back to add details when I remember them, but my sister turned me on to great coffee at a family get-together, and I tried to duplicate the results at my house only to find out that the water makes a big difference.

At my folks place in Alabama, they have magnificent well water. That, combined with some quality beans, made the best coffee I ever had. When I tried it with my well water, that goes through a softener to take out the iron, it wasn't nearly as good, even with the same beans and grinder.

Just filtered water for me.

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012

Water does make a huge difference. My wife's grandparents used to fill their trunk with gallon jugs when they were back in town because the water was so much better than the well water at their lake house. I filter all the water for coffee and our counter top ice machine through 2 different water filters. Makes a big difference in the quality of the ice and coffee.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I enjoy the Sumatran coffee beans best. Wife calls it cat **** coffee.
    She will drink instant coffee (I will in a pinch like SHTF). I have instant packets in my car/minute man rig/get home bag ect. Coffee is coffee if you have an addiction.
    I drink coffee "black".
    Sumatran is my favorite. When it comes to instant, I think Nescafé Taster's Choice 100% Colombian is the best I've tried.
    Close behind that is Nescafé Clasico dark roast.
    But I haven't tried tons of instant brands. If someone has better options, please post them.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I've just got city water, and I fill up the water from my fridge (filtered) and then my coffee pot also has a charcoal filter on it for the water as well.
    I'm on city water here in Evansville.
    I use a 10x4.5 (5 micron) carbon block filter on water coming into the house. And a 10x2.5 (1 micron) carbon block filter under the kitchen sink.
    We always get our drinking water from the kitchen sink (cold side). Filtered water is fun!

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    We got into grinding our own beans a few years ago and use a Baratza Encore grinder. We grind in the evening and have drop coffee maker programed.

As far as coffee goes, we buy freshly roasted beans from a local place in Waterloo called Three Bean Coffee company. We really like their Brazil Daterra Sweet Blue, but they have a lot of good offerings.

Top Bottom